CAK (12-1) vs Elizabethton (11-2)

Govolsknox

• Replies 380
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We've rushed for over 4000 yards. I think we will be able to get a few more. #28 will hurt you, #7 will embarass you. Good luck to your team and i hope for a great game. GO CYCLONES!!!!

Has your team rushed any sum of yards vs. a team with a coach that deserves and is good enough to be a coach at any college in the country?

CAK has a good coach and a good team but 28 and 7 will do what they do because they are good backs and witten is not a bad coach either.

I believe CAK will stick with the "rope a dope" strategy like they have all year. Try to let Betsy punch themselves out and then put some distance between themselves and the Cyclones in the second half. I expect the running game to be productive for Betsy and for them to score early. But as time goes on and coach starts rotating in the offensive players on defense I believe the going will get a little bit tougher for the Cyclones. At least that is how it has played out so far in the playoffs. Witten is a good coach and will have a good game plan no doubt. But he will have to pick his poison when on defense. Do you blitz and try to bring pressure or do you drop & cover? I don't know which he thinks will be the most productive but I certainly wouldn't want to be a defensive coordinator facing the Warriors trying to find an answer. The Cyclone D line is going to be exhausted after this game from pass rushing and pushing against some large offensive linemen with quick feet and the DB's will wear out their cleats in coverage. I expect a tough competitive ball game, just like it should be in the Semi's.

I believe CAK will stick with the "rope a dope" strategy like they have all year. Try to let Betsy punch themselves out and then put some distance between themselves and the Cyclones in the second half. I expect the running game to be productive for Betsy and for them to score early. But as time goes on and coach starts rotating in the offensive players on defense I believe the going will get a little bit tougher for the Cyclones. At least that is how it has played out so far in the playoffs. Witten is a good coach and will have a good game plan no doubt. But he will have to pick his poison when on defense. Do you blitz and try to bring pressure or do you drop & cover? I don't know which he thinks will be the most productive but I certainly wouldn't want to be a defensive coordinator facing the Warriors trying to find an answer. The Cyclone D line is going to be exhausted after this game from pass rushing and pushing against some large offensive linemen with quick feet and the DB's will wear out their cleats in coverage. I expect a tough competitive ball game, just like it should be in the Semi's.

I believe he will try to blitz quite a bit because when we played science hill that's what he did and it worked quite a bit but I know SH pass offense Is not as good as CAK.As I said in another post we will have to play a perfect game to beat CAK.

Has your team rushed any sum of yards vs. a team with a coach that deserves and is good enough to be a coach at any college in the country?

WELL I GUESS WE ARE ABOUT TO FRIDAY NIGHT, I'M SURE CAK HAS A GREAT COACH, AND YES THERE ARE ALOT OF GREAT COACHES AROUND HERE. IT TAKES MORE THAN JUST THE COACH TO BE GREAT. YOU NEED TALENTED PLAYERS, GREAT STAFF AND SUPPORT FROM THE FANS AND SCHOOL ADMINISTRATION. GO CYCLONES!!!!

After all this talk about the complicated passing game of CAK's let me give you a reminder that Whitten played wide receiver up in Blaksburg and was a grad assistent at UT so I would suspect that he has seen a few passing attacks himself. Also he has been known to play a little Beamer ball. Whether or not our DB's can cover the field and execute the defensive plan is the question.

I believe he will try to blitz quite a bit because when we played science hill that's what he did and it worked quite a bit but I know SH pass offense Is not as good as CAK.As I said in another post we will have to play a perfect game to beat CAK.

I'm a defensive guy at heart, and I've observed CAK now for 5 years up close and personal. I've flip flopped a time or two as to how I would defend CAK if I were the opposing team. I have concluded that there isn't a real good choice, and I sincerely mean that...but since you have to make one I would concur with trying to get pressure. It's just that I have not seen anybody, including Alcoa, get consistent pressure. Occassionally, yes, but not consistent. It will take some college bound type of rushers (Alcoa's D.Warren @ UK now) to get past our O line and get enough pressure on C.High to disrupt him. Once you get to him he is very elusive, and when he scrambles he runs laterally keeping eyes down field so you have to continue to cover. IF he runs he is fast. It's not impossible to stop CAK, but sometimes it may feel like it. We won't score every time we have the ball, but I'm sure BOTH defenses will be exhausted after this game.

After all this talk about the complicated passing game of CAK's let me give you a reminder that Whitten played wide receiver up in Blaksburg and was a grad assistent at UT so I would suspect that he has seen a few passing attacks himself. Also he has been known to play a little Beamer ball. Whether or not our DB's can cover the field and execute the defensive plan is the question.

I don't underestimate any coaches that have gotten their teams this far. But like you alluded to above, the coaches won't be on the field and the players will have to be the one's to execute what they are taught. Experience is the absolute best teacher, but Betsy does not see this style of passing attack very often and you will find it difficult to emulate it in practice. Alcoa see's it twice a year and they have some of the best defensive coaches and athletes in E.TN, but they have trouble with it as well. When Alcoa has been most successful against it was when they were just vastly superior in talent than CAK and they could man up across the field and rush everyone else. One thing that CAK does that makes it difficult on defenses is that most of the formations look very similar. The multiple plays come from a vast assortment of routes run by the receivers. The receivers and QB's will read the defense and adjust accordingly. Additionally, the QB will call the blocking schemes. It is a no huddle offense up tempo style. All of this is what adds to the complexity of the offense, but just looking at it on the field wouldn't make you think that it is complex. Poor execution (bad passes, bad reads, dropped balls, penalties, INT's) on CAK's part has been about the only thing that has limited this offense over the past 2-3 years. Now, since CAK is not familiar with the Cyclones D or how they will defend it may require a couple of series for the Warriors to figure out the best plan of attack, so I wouldn't be surprised to see Betsy get some stops early on.

Dad I hate to brake it to you but The Cyclone D line has 9 players in the 3-5 they rotate in and you can not tell any difference, they have been doing it all year, 53,55,58,51,76,67,61,50 and 79 have played every game in the 3 down lineman position. I don't think they will punch themselves out with that depth.