CAK (12-1) vs Elizabethton (11-2)

Govolsknox

I'm confused. Is CAK playing Catholic next year? I was under the impression 'we' were losing two schools (Stone Memorial and Loudon) and gaining 1 new school in our district (Catholic)?

I read the info on TSSAA's official site but also several random interweb articles said the same thing: http://www.knoxnews.com/news/2012/nov/15/loudon-moved-to-district-5-aa-alcoas-gary-rankin/

CAK will play catholic in regular season, not in playoffs. CAK is 3A Catholic is 4A but both are in AA...thank you tssaa

• Replies 380
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Congratulations to Elizabethton, and especially the seniors, on a great game last night. The game truly could have gone either way. I have not seen a game in 2 years where the DB's had so many opportunities to pick off a C High pass, and had any one of them been intercepted, it might have meant the game. Some were errant throws, but if memory serves, every one hit a CAK receiver's hands first and were deflected. IMO that was the second worst tackling job by CAK in the last 2 years, only behind the Grace 2011 game. This was in part due to outstanding play by ETown, but regardless, just not a good night tackling. As I mentioned prior to the game, Elizabethton didn't have to be better than Alcoa to beat CAK, just better than CAK last night, and they came uncomfortably close. Someone earlier asked how Betsy compared to Alcoa. That comparison could be done in detail and would take longer than I have right now, but I will summarize my opinion in this way: Elizabethton was closer to the level of CAK and Alcoa than many, including myself, thought. Don't get me wrong, I was concerned about this game, but I really thought that CAK would over power ETown in the 2nd half and get a little separation. I was impressed that even when the game looked out of hand at half time, the Cyclones continued to give their all. Coach Witten, the Cyclones, and their fans should be very proud of what that team accomplished this year. Hope you guys have an excellent off season and I hope we have an opportunity to see these two teams meet again soon.

Edited by Govolsknox

Great game by both teams. I do have one question for the CAK fans. There was some mention of playing part of the offensive line on defense to occasionally shore up that side if needed. It appeared to an untrained eye that CAK did that for most of the game. Is that correct or were you talking about other players being put on defense that we did not see?

Great game by both teams. I do have one question for the CAK fans. There was some mention of playing part of the offensive line on defense to occasionally shore up that side if needed. It appeared to an untrained eye that CAK did that for most of the game. Is that correct or were you talking about other players being put on defense that we did not see?

Most of the game with Betsy CAK used 3 of the starting offensive linemen on defense as well. That has been true in a couple of the playoff games now, but not so much in the regular season. Rotating the receivers and backs into the mix has also been the strategy much of the year. But when we were hardest pressed, the defense would be comprised of a few defense only players aided by 3 starting offensive linemen along with all 3 starting receivers and the running back . Most of them played on defense last night several snaps, except for the RB. Due to the broken finger D.Howell was rotated in and out. Can't say for sure how much the others rotated or just stayed on the field. But our overall best and most effective unit is the one described above utilizing a large number of the offensive players.

You saw everything (virtually) that CAK, given health issues, had to play. 3 of the DL are offensive line starters. That is as much as we've played on D this year. The other issue is at LB where 16 Howell and 32 Rathbone start at WR and RB respectively. With both being banged up, we never saw Rathbone at OLB where he is outstanding before he broke his ankle. We did see Howell at OLB some, but not as much as he would likely have been played there if he was a little healthier. Bottom line is that Betsy performed well against about as much as CAK had to offer on D, with the caveat that health was an issue, and frankly the play was not as intense as what we saw against Alcoa last week. Taking nothing away, just trying to give an honest evaluation IMO.

I'm confused. Is CAK playing Catholic next year? I was under the impression 'we' were losing two schools (Stone Memorial and Loudon) and gaining 1 new school in our district (Catholic)?

I read the info on TSSAA's official site but also several random interweb articles said the same thing: http://www.knoxnews....as-gary-rankin/

It is a confusing system, you're right. Abijah put it well, though. You guys (CAK) will be in Catholic's district for the regular season (because 3A and 4A teams are combined into AA until the playoffs). When the playoffs start, the teams will go their separate ways, with CAK playing in the 3A playoffs and Catholic playing in the 4A playoffs.

It was truely a pleasure to meet Coachlogan, just a super nice feller. As far as the game ,it was a great one, I still don't know who the better team was,Betsy will ponder this game for along time, if just 1 of the several oppertunities had went their way, they would still be playing. Etown can hold their head high knowing full well they could have beat one of the elite teams in 3a..

It was truely a pleasure to meet Coachlogan, just a super nice feller.

Pujo,

What a great time that was getting to meet you and 91Landers. That really was a long time coming, and getting to talk about that night on the mountain was more enjoyable to me than the actual game, ha! Hopefully our paths will cross again sometime down the road.

Pujo,

What a great time that was getting to meet you and 91Landers. That really was a long time coming, and getting to talk about that night on the mountain was more enjoyable to me than the actual game, ha! Hopefully our paths will cross again sometime down the road.

CAK is fortunate to have guys like you in the program. You'd be welcome on my sidelines in a skinny minute. The world could use more like you.