ECS vs Webb 2012 Division II-A State Championship Game

Spartan4Life

3 State Championships in 4 years for Webb should be enough for them to want to put on their big boy pants and go play AA.

Before you get started Webb fans, I dont care how many kids dont come there for sports and how many come for arts and music and tennis. Last time I checked, that goes for almost every private school, not just Webb.

Webb has great coaches and a great campus and more kids in their school than Ensworth, Brentwood Academy and BGA. They should want to compete with the best after dominating single A for the last 4 years.

3 State Championships in 4 years for Webb should be enough for them to want to put on their big boy pants and go play AA.

Before you get started Webb fans, I dont care how many kids dont come there for sports and how many come for arts and music and tennis. Last time I checked, that goes for almost every private school, not just Webb.

Webb has great coaches and a great campus and more kids in their school than Ensworth, Brentwood Academy and BGA. They should want to compete with the best after dominating single A for the last 4 years.

Webb dressed 40 players. ECS dressed well over 60 possibly 70. Nothing to do with numbers clearly. Just great coaching, very good athletes and great heart. BGA will be playing in DIV II-A, Webb doesnt have the depth to play in DIV II-AA week in and week out. But would be a tough game for any team in that division, minus possibly Ensworth (they are unbelievable). Great job Spartans!!!!! The tradition continues,

Edited by Spartan4Life

You cant say clearly it has nothing to do with number. If it had nothing to do with numbers, why do they set classifications at all? It has everything to do with numbers and school size. Yes, ECS had more kids this week and Webb won. What about all the other games they play against schools with rosters in the mid 20s? There are more than a couple. Webb does have great coaches and talent. I just dont see why they dont want to play with schools their size that would provide much better competition for them. I think they would do well in AA.

You cant say clearly it has nothing to do with number. If it had nothing to do with numbers, why do they set classifications at all? It has everything to do with numbers and school size. Yes, ECS had more kids this week and Webb won. What about all the other games they play against schools with rosters in the mid 20s? There are more than a couple. Webb does have great coaches and talent. I just dont see why they dont want to play with schools their size that would provide much better competition for them. I think they would do well in AA.

Webb has an excellent team and a wonderful school - congrats to the Spartans on another great season. They are entitled to play in the division they are in, though I agree that TSSAA has set enrollment for that division far too high when they play against teams that have less than 25 boys in each class. As far as Webb playing against the current D2-AA teams - they tried; they were 0-5 in the division the year before they dropped down and won 3 out of 4 gold balls.

At the end of the day, I think it falls on TSSAA. I think there should be 3 classes in Division 2 but i think people are against it because it will spread the classes thin. The thing is, they had 3 classes in D2 with far less D2 schools than they have now so why not do it again?

As far as webb being 0-5 before they were single A, I think they have had better teams the last 4 years with the Blance brothers and Todd Kelly. They would not be winless against the D2AA teams.

D2A, its an issue that will not be answered on this board. If it makes you feel any better, look at our non-regional games. Last year we opened up with the #1 team in the state. The next week it was #2. We started this year with Aloca. Local schools around Knoxville (with the exception of Catholic) will not play us on a consistent basis. Too good for some; too big for others; blah, blah, blahblah. Truth is our depth is very, very sparce. Just like in "300", it doesnt matter how big and bad you may be when you are dealing with numbers. But if you want to play 48 minutes with someone's best 11 against our best 11, I would put some good money down.

At the end of the day we are what we are. I miss the McCallies, the Baylors, MBA's and the BGA (back to us in 2013). Fun games; great memories. I dont miss Ensworth (but who doesnt). I am not coach, just a fan. Dont want to say stupid stuff like "hook up your chinstrap and let's go!!",so I won't. But I am pretty pumped about my Spartans so I will just let it go at that.

D2A, its an issue that will not be answered on this board. If it makes you feel any better, look at our non-regional games. Last year we opened up with the #1 team in the state. The next week it was #2. We started this year with Aloca. Local schools around Knoxville (with the exception of Catholic) will not play us on a consistent basis. Too good for some; too big for others; blah, blah, blahblah. Truth is our depth is very, very sparce. Just like in "300", it doesnt matter how big and bad you may be when you are dealing with numbers. But if you want to play 48 minutes with someone's best 11 against our best 11, I would put some good money down.

At the end of the day we are what we are. I miss the McCallies, the Baylors, MBA's and the BGA (back to us in 2013). Fun games; great memories. I dont miss Ensworth (but who doesnt). I am not coach, just a fan. Dont want to say stupid stuff like "hook up your chinstrap and let's go!!",so I won't. But I am pretty pumped about my Spartans so I will just let it go at that.

Congrats to the Spartans on your championship this year!! Speaking of non-district games, do you happen to know Webb's opponents for next year? Will you guys be playing in the Blount County Bowl again?

Webb went 1-5 in Region play in 2008, and 4-2 in 2007 in DIV-AA. So we were 500 in the division Webb lost many heart breakers in the 2008 season, no loss coming by more than a touchdown minus ensworth. 2008 was a down year for webb, the 2009, 2010 teams would have made a very good run in DIV II-AA. Webb could compete with the big boys for sure. The problem is depth, Schools like ensworth and mus have 70 80 players on their teams and they all have very good size. Webb had 40 this year which means they had less than ECS, USJ, ST GEORGES teams. One or two injuries and Webb would have a tough time having a successful season against top notch competition week in and week out along with their already brutal non-region schedule. If Webb can get back to the depth we had in 2009 then it would be more realistic to think about moving up.

That being said Webb had 40 players this year so if you want Webb out the division then ECS, USJ, and ST Georges have to come too. Why not just all the playoff teams as well so its more fair for the teams who didnt make the playoffs?

Edited by Spartan4Life