For informational purposes only.

I wouldn't read too much into the blowho's on the News Sentinel message board. They rail on us (CAK) constantly as well and we're in Knox County. Even on the non-sports threads there are constantly a bunch of the same posters spewing a bunch of nonsense. The vast majority of the area's high school football faithful have nothing but respect for the Maryville program. Sure, who wouldn't want to beat Maryville or Alcoa? You got to beat the best to be the best. I've got nothing but RESPECT for the Rebels. However, you Maryville supporters are savvy enough to know that once you did get beat, that if you ever questioned a call you would be scrutinized heavily by many of those outside the Rebel Nation. Its human nature. I for one believe it was a very bad call. It bothered me the most because it negated one of the most brilliant play calls under pressure that I have ever seen. But I certainly don't believe it is the reason Maryville lost. It dilutes the argument just a bit when DaHaven drove the ball the length of the field and should have ended the game in regulation except for some confusion between the players and the coach resulted in time expiring. I understand how the blown call makes it just a bit harder to swallow though. I thought GQ and the players all handled themselves with the class of champions. Congrats again on an incredible season, even when you're down your up compared to most :thumb:

You do have a point, but did you consider the possibility that WH would have only had less than a minute and may have elected to go airborne to get within FG range had Maryville's two point play stood? Different strategies come into play when you're suckin hind #### late in the 4th.

You do have a point, but did you consider the possibility that WH would have only had less than a minute and may have elected to go airborne to get within FG range had Maryville's two point play stood? Different strategies come into play when you're suckin hind #### late in the 4th.

That is very true. Thats why I said it only "dilutes" the argument, not dismisses the argument entirely. If Maryville had of come out after the kick off and kept WH bottled in on their side of the 50 then it would have put even more emphasis on the blown call IMHO. It was a bad call by an official that certainly had impact on the final outcome, and no one ever wants to see that happen. Us fans are allowed to debate this stuff openly, but I'm sure happy to see GQ and staff, along with the boys, take such a classy approach to addressing this, at least publicly. Just another example of what makes GQ and Maryville football what it is. If I were still coaching I would be sure to have that play in my playbook from this day forward. Congratulations again on a terrific season :thumb:

Well I hate it for these kids who obviously deserve better....And for many of these "ritchie cunningham's" (unlike the SEC talent on Whitehaven's team) on our TEAM, who are seniors, there are no more football tomorrows...

It is unfortunate that the game ended the way that it did on the missed call. Clearly, it was a missed call. Even if the call was made correctly, WH still might have one the game. I think these kids will be just fine. They have 2-3 rings already. Some of the best lessons learned in life doesn't come from victories or success, but from adversity and acknowledging that life isn't always fair. They will be better men because of it. It doesn't take away from the hurt or pain now, but they can take comfort in their ring from last year.

It is unfortunate that the game ended the way that it did on the missed call. Clearly, it was a missed call. Even if the call was made correctly, WH still might have one the game. Some of the best lessons learned in life doesn't come from victories or success, but from adversity and acknowledging that life isn't always fair.

wtl I think "made up call" is more appropiate because there was no call to miss..It did not occur......

You are right and I would have like to have seen what Whitehaven's offense and Mairvul's D would have done with 45 seconds left and them being inside their own 20 yardline.....Like what jake said...I don't think they are even thinking about running it then...maybe passing to Dodson, Sims, or Perry...we will never know.....But I have to like Mairvul's chances in that situation.....

Yep wtl and also learning that some umps aren't fair either.....#50 was falsely accused of a penalty he did not commit and will remember for the rest of his life.....thanks Gary...

Edited by STARSNBARS

The determination of being an ineligible down field is not at completion, it's at the point the pass crosses the LOS.

Gooder point oldreb....The photo clearly shows #50 on the 2 yardline as the ball coming into #11 hands.....I'll bet he was not even to the 2 yard line when it crossed the line of scrimmage..... :popcorneater:

I also just heard something else about this game which is really disturbing.....I heard that the officials put the 7 or so seconds back on the clock after a part of the tv crew alerted them to the fact during a Whitehaven time out on their last drive....I did not know we could use a tv crew to review the official time keeper....In that case, I wished we could have used the tv cameras to review the bogus call on the 2 point play too.....Just reporting what I heard....TFWIW....

Edited by STARSNBARS

I also just heard something else about this game which is really disturbing.....I heard that the officials put the 7 or so seconds back on the clock after a part of the tv crew alerted them to the fact during Whitehaven time out on their last drive....I did not know we could use a tv crew to review the official time keeper....In that case, I wished we could have used the tv cameras to review the bogus call on the 2 point play too.....Just reporting what I heard....TFWIW....

Wow. Stars, I must say, it's very difficult to follow your posts when you type normal! Lol. It actually looks strange coming from you.

Sadly, this ridiculous call takes away one of the greatest play calls in state championship history. This official needs serve a 1 year suspension in my opinion. Anyone making this call has issues. If the call had not been made, do you think anyone from Whitehaven would have said anything? Uhhhhh.....no.