For informational purposes only.

Rule 7-5 Art. 12 Reads: "Ineligible A players may not advance beyond the expanded neutral on a legal forward pass play before a legal forward pass that crosses the neutral zone is in flight."

After re-reading the rule and after talking to several refs, I realize that the rule says before a legal forward pass "is in flight". That means it's when it leaves the passers hands. The there was no eligible player down field, but some of us were measuring from when the ball left the neutral zone and that is not the rule. The rule about the ball leaving the neutal zone is about all long the free blocking zone exists, not in regards to an ineligible receiver. The call is even worse now!

Am I missing something here?

This is exactly what I said that first night , I got my Information from a College Offensive Coordinator who was an Offensive Coordinator for a couple High School teams around here before that ( Ya I'm sure most of you know who ) . He has talked to Coach Quarles and TSSAA Officials to make sure on this rule , it is when the Pass leaves the QB's hand , not when it passes Line of Scrimmage . Coach Quarles knows the Rules on this to a T .... That is why you can plainly see Coach Quarles mouthing the words " IMPOSSIBLE " when the Ref comes over to him and explains the call .... the funny thing to me was when I gave this person all the details to this play , the first thing he said was " That's not POSSIBLE ! "

All you Maryville haters who want to say we're Crying , there would be no talk on here at all if it had been a Legitimate , POSSIBLE , Judgement call ... The Ref is probably wishing right now that he had just called Holding .... that would be my bet ... Then there would be none of this talk on here at all , we might not of agreed with it , but everyone knows that if 2 players are even touching each other , it could possibly always look like Holding from some angle .

This is exactly what I said that first night , I got my Information from a College Offensive Coordinator who was an Offensive Coordinator for a couple High School teams around here before that ( Ya I'm sure most of you know who ) . He has talked to Coach Quarles and TSSAA Officials to make sure on this rule , it is when the Pass leaves the QB's hand , not when it passes Line of Scrimmage . Coach Quarles knows the Rules on this to a T .... That is why you can plainly see Coach Quarles mouthing the words " IMPOSSIBLE " when the Ref comes over to him and explains the call .... the funny thing to me was when I gave this person all the details to this play , the first thing he said was " That's not POSSIBLE ! "

All you Maryville haters who want to say we're Crying , there would be no talk on here at all if it had been a Legitimate , POSSIBLE , Judgement call ... The Ref is probably wishing right now that he had just called Holding .... that would be my bet ... Then there would be none of this talk on here at all , we might not of agreed with it , but everyone knows that if 2 players are even touching each other , it could possibly always look like Holding from some angle .

That is exactly right. Had he called holding, people would have disagreed and moved on, and counted it as a a bad judgement call, in their opinion. But, when you look at the evidence that has been laid out, one can only come to one conclusion, and that is not a pretty conclusion.

We have to assume that the fact that he was calling the state championship game, would mean that he knows the rules. He needs to come out and explain what he thought he saw, and what he thought was the rules, and therefore why he threw the flag. If it was an honest bad call, then come out and man up to it, and apologize. Otherwise, everyone (including me) will continue to base their conclusion on what the evidence shows, and that is that he purposely made a bogus call.

That is exactly right. Had he called holding, people would have disagreed and moved on, and counted it as a a bad judgement call, in their opinion. But, when you look at the evidence that has been laid out, one can only come to one conclusion, and that is not a pretty conclusion.

We have to assume that the fact that he was calling the state championship game, would mean that he knows the rules. He needs to come out and explain what he thought he saw, and what he thought was the rules, and therefore why he threw the flag. If it was an honest bad call, then come out and man up to it, and apologize. Otherwise, everyone (including me) will continue to base their conclusion on what the evidence shows, and that is that he purposely made a bogus call.

jake men of integrity "man up"....I'm sure that's why we'll never hear from Gary Darden.....And as for BHS this must be what he's doing when looking at the still pics when he says #16 and #50 are downfield..... :popcorneater:

Edited by STARSNBARS

Today I've had a couple of interesting conversations about last Saturday night's game and the infamous 2 pt. invented call.....

A friend from one official's association (not Blount County) told me that they were having a meeting to discuss the game. His supervisor cited errors in overall game management, the possibility that the TV crew was used to put time back on the clock, the constant conversation going on between Whitehaven players and the ump when they (the Tigers) were on defense (which is a definate no-no) and of course the blunder of all blunders, the unethical and unfair accusation of a lineman downfield penalty when none occured which greatly altered an outstanding ball game.....He also stated that his supervisor had fielded calls from from fellow officials in other state associations on the 2 pt. call and the possibility as to whether or not the ump was trying to steal and / or alter the game's outcome.....

I then talked to another friend this afternoon who is also an official in a neighboring official's association who was present at the game and he noted a couple of other items.......First how the officials maintained no flow to the game (constantly meeting to discuss play and the overall delay in play)...And secondly he said he observed once when GQ asked the back judge for a ruling on one play the back judge shoved him back towards the sideline, which in his eyes was totally uncalled for and unprofessional and he stated that officials are instructed to never physically touch a coach or player, unless absolutely necessary......

Edited by STARSNBARS

as boredom is setting in, i'll try to get a rise out of the maryville faithful So . . . don't y'all think he may have been just a teensy weensy bit too far away from the neutral zone? A smidge maybe? Crowding it just a bit? Or are you just absolutely sure it was a bad call?

FactsOnly with a name like yours, you look at the 3 pictures oldreb presented and you tell me....And keep in mind once the ball leaves the passer's hand and passes the neutral zone in flight, #50 can release anywhere on the field....I can plainly see in one pic #11 receiving the ball (way past the expanded neutral zone) and #50 still not past the 1 yardline, when the lineman can then be anywhere on the field he wants legally......Absolutely the worst "invented" call in TSSAA football championship history and will go down as such...imo.... :popcorneater:

Edited by STARSNBARS

Gary Darden's call did a diservice to both schools. A lot of people feel like Maryville was robbed. A lot of those same people feel like Whitehaven's win is with an asterik beside it. A tainted win. If the proper call had been made it doesn't mean Maryville wins. Especially with the way Whitehaven was disscecting Maryville's defense in the 2nd half.

as boredom is setting in, i'll try to get a rise out of the maryville faithful So . . . don't y'all think he may have been just a teensy weensy bit too far away from the neutral zone? A smidge maybe? Crowding it just a bit? Or are you just absolutely sure it was a bad call?

I don't have even the least bit of doubt. There is no question that it was a legal play. #50's feet were on the 3 yard line when the ball left the passer's hands. Gary Darden saw Maryville take the lead & decided to fabricate a call in order to change that.

[click on the pictures for larger views]

qmLB8.jpg

FactsOnly with a name like yours, you look at the 3 pictures oldreb presented and you tell me....And keep in mind once the ball leaves the passer's hand and passes the neutral zone in flight, #50 can release anywhere on the field....I can plainly see in one pic #11 receiving the ball (way past the expanded neutral zone) and #50 still not past the 1 yardline, when the lineman can then be anywhere on the field he wants legally......Absolutely the worst "invented" call in TSSAA football championship history and will go down as such...imo.... :popcorneater:

I was remembering a game 8 maybe 10 years ago at Central. When an offical had to run off the field as fast as he could. The same thing happened Saturday night in Cookeville. Except the offical didnt leave the field.

Just trying to bring a little levity. I thought at the time the call was lame even had it been correct. That call at that time in that game was out of control. The pictures prove it. If the TSSAA is interested in correctness, they will overturn the result and award Maryville with the win and the championship.