Bringing all private schools back into Division I...

Indian

It's not gotten a lot of publicity but the TSSAA will vote on ending the multiplier for current Division I private schools and bringing back all the Division II private schools for the regular season-then the private schools will all split for the postseason. That's the way I understand it, at least. I have seen no specifics at all for any playoff plan, if public vs private regular season results would figure into the the playoff process or not. Regardless I don't see much chance of this passing. Maybe if the plan wasn't so vague.

It could probably work out with relatively even numbers of teams in districts but they'd have to just use football playing schools, then do another divide for basketball playing schools.

If they continued with the current plan and just divided by all the schools, I had cutoffs at 437 and 921. That would take out the largest currently Class A schools and move them to Class AA. Ensworth, if they didn't move up, would be playing Class A but they'd be separated in the postseason. There's virtually no way they wouldn't move up to the largest class. CAK, Boyd-Buchanan, Knoxville Grace and most of the Nashville area private schools would also be in Class A but they'd also be separated for the playoffs.

If you just used football schools to classify the cutoffs would be similar to the all-sports numbers which will go into effect, I had it at 519 and 1002.

I am surprised there isn't more push for this by private schools which seem to be having trouble scheduling..Baylor and McCallie would likely be back in the Chattanooga Class AAA district with teams like Bradley Central and Ooltewah. Brentwood Academy would probably be in a district with Williamson County schools. They might not like them on the schedule but as long as it didn't hurt their playoff chances it shouldn't be a problem.

I wouldn't object to this but some schools might since they don't want their future students and parents to see private school facilties and schools.

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't think this plan has enough details in place to have a chance. It would probably have some issues to deal with the same as in the current system but it could be made to work. Something along the lines of top non-private school finisher in each district gets an automatic bid to the playoffs then work out the seeds from there. There would be about 40 football playing private schools other than the teams like MBA and Baylor that would probably play in the largest class, take 32 of them for the playoffs.

If they keep trying to push the private schools out, I see no reason why they can't have their own accredited association. Other states don't use the multiplier anymore because its outdated and no longer serves a purpose. If you are a private school that can't offer financial aid to athletes, there isn't much of an advantage over public schools. Private school salaries are substantially lower than public school. I have seen public schools with amazing facilities. Sequatchie County comes to mind off the bat. Amazing stadium and facilities. Private schools will travel well provide good competition and good gate. If they separate I see no problem with them forming their own association which would cost TSSAA lots of money, which we've already seen that is there only interest. I bet a certain TSSAA representative of our area will push this through because he only has one agenda and its not for the schools he represents, just the one he is working at

Really, what would be the "agenda" in this, Sequatchie's district would likely have little to no changes. It's the Class A and AAA teams which would see the most change with many of the current Division I, A and AA private schools, and Division II-small schools playing in Class A, and Brentwood Academy, etc playing in Division I, AAA.

Please explain what the agenda would be. This proposal likely isn't going anywhere regardless.

I don't think it would be a bad thing to have them all in the regular season together then split for the postseason if the details could be worked out.

Really, what would be the "agenda" in this, Sequatchie's district would likely have little to no changes. It's the Class A and AAA teams which would see the most change with many of the current Division I, A and AA private schools, and Division II-small schools playing in Class A, and Brentwood Academy, etc playing in Division I, AAA.

Please explain what the agenda would be. This proposal likely isn't going anywhere regardless.

I don't think it would be a bad thing to have them all in the regular season together then split for the postseason if the details could be worked out.

Barring Complete Seperation...Which I'd Rather Have....A Split In The Post Season Would Be Acceptable...And Easier Attained..