Tri-County Seven- Week #4

coachh17

Here are the rankings heading in to the week before Christmas.

1. Elizabethton- (AA) (9-1)- Beat Morristown East by 36 and Unicoi County by 16. I think they can play much better, but it is hard to argue with 9-1. They have an interesting game at South Greene on Monday and then a long break.

2. Hampton- (A) (9-3)- Had nice wins over Happy Valley and Sullivan East last week. Host Chuckey-Doak Tuesday and Austin-East Saturday. They visit Mountain City Friday. I look for three more wins for Coach Tolley's Lady Dogs.

3. Unicoi County- (AA) (5-4)- Beat Cloudland and Chuckey-Doak. Lost to Elizabethton. The Lady Devils have a tough game at South Monday. They struggled for three quarters at Elizabethton, but did play well in the third quarter.

4. Happy Valley- (AA) (5-5)- Lost to Hampton and beat Cloudland badly, though Wilson and Rhodes did not play. This team has some upside and will upset someone above them I believe.

5. Unaka- (A) (4-5)- Transfer of Bradshaw to Daniel Boone hurts. Unaka beat U-H and lost to East. They are at Johnson County Tuesday in what should be a good game. They host North Greene Thursday in an important district game.

6. Cloudland- (A) (2-7)- Injuries and losses are piling up. They will need Rhodes and Wilson healthy or it could be a long cold winter on the mountain. May warm up if they can beat Johnson County and Cherokee at home this week.

7. Johnson County- (AA) (1-5)- Lost to Volunteer. Host Unaka Tuesday, visit Cloudland Thursday, and Host Hampton Friday in what should be some entertaining matchups.

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Unicoi has a tough one tonight with South. Betsy should do fine against S Greene w/o Ricker. HV lost Hodge but Freshman post is filling in pretty good but they'll miss her physical presence. Interested to see what the Lady Rangers can do with N Greene Thursday after JC which could be a very interesting game.. Hampton if they play to there potential for 4 qtrs should handle C D tomoro. Rhodes will be back after she gets her knee brace i hear but talk is Wilson may not be back for a while but thats talk. Landers should handle JC may not be pretty tho Cherokee could be a different story if Cherokees healthy now.

Edited by bballfan05

Unicoi loses to South tonight they led most of the game. Eliz pulled away late from S Greene. Not sold on Eliz. just yet with 6 of their 10 wins versus sub .500 teams and the 7th win over .500 Unicoi. Saw where Grainger laid it on Seymour by 20+ suprised by the margin there.

I believe Elizabethton did not pull away late for the win over South Greene. They controlled the whole second half and led by 15 after three periods and the final margin was 15.

bballfan05,

I would be interested to hear why you are not sold on Elizabethton. I know they can be streaky and I am sometimes frustrated with their half court offense and lack of defensive intensity, but with the exception of Science Hill, they have more weapons than any other team in District 1 in any class in my opinion. The varsity is 10-1 and the JV is rolling along undefeated, I believe. Depew is a very good point guard, Madgett and Roberts are a solid post combination, and DeMoss and McCurry are a high scoring pair of wings. They have point depth in Bradley, post depth in Bowers and Pietrowski, and wing depth with the Marosite twins, Isaacs, Robinson, McCrary, and Kiser. I have not seen another team with that much talent in AA or A in District 1. Hampton and North Greene are very good in Single A, but not as deep 1 through 14. Unicoi County, Happy Valley, and Sullivan East are pretty solid in AA, but none of them have as many talented players as the Lady Cyclones. Do you mean you are not sold on them in the District or Region, or do you mean you are not sold on them as a state tournament contender?

bballfan05,

I would be interested to hear why you are not sold on Elizabethton. I know they can be streaky and I am sometimes frustrated with their half court offense and lack of defensive intensity, but with the exception of Science Hill, they have more weapons than any other team in District 1 in any class in my opinion. The varsity is 10-1 and the JV is rolling along undefeated, I believe. Depew is a very good point guard, Madgett and Roberts are a solid post combination, and DeMoss and McCurry are a high scoring pair of wings. They have point depth in Bradley, post depth in Bowers and Pietrowski, and wing depth with the Marosite twins, Isaacs, Robinson, McCrary, and Kiser. I have not seen another team with that much talent in AA or A in District 1. Hampton and North Greene are very good in Single A, but not as deep 1 through 14. Unicoi County, Happy Valley, and Sullivan East are pretty solid in AA, but none of them have as many talented players as the Lady Cyclones. Do you mean you are not sold on them in the District or Region, or do you mean you are not sold on them as a state tournament contender?

By far they are the most talented team top to bottom, next to The Hill, I've stated that before and yes around here and in their District by far I'm just not sold on them as a state title contender. Depew is a very fine pt guard one of the best around I've stated that before, as far as quality depth the twins yes but i wouldn't throw Robinson, McCrary or Kiser in there. Yes they play but not against the top tier teams. Pietrowski is good for a minute or two but you can't tell me if Madgett or Roberts, heaven forbid go down i love those two, that Bowers and Pietrowski would be able to step in and carry them to a State title? Or Bradley she's is a fine ballhandler don't think she could play the minutes Depew usually does and be effective and not the caliber scorer Depew is at all and not gonna lead them to a state title. Correct me if I'm wrong haven't seen all their games but have seen boxscores but I didn't see McCrary,kiser,Robinson, or Pietrowski in the South or Hampton games one a loss the other a close one. Usually if they're quality they'll see minutes in good games not just the blowouts. Just stating my opinion by what I've seen and who they have beat. They've had the most talented teams around here and in their district and seem to always get beaten once they leave their area. I've ranked them #1 because i think right now in the tri-county they are #1 just not penciling them in for the 'boro just yet or any other team from the tri-county. And not evryone puts as much emphasis towards JV except for maybe HV who has starters who sometimes start varsity and also play significant varsity minutes.

Edited by bballfan05

Fair enough. I am not saying they will win the state or even get there, but I do think they are a top 10 team and have a good chance to reach Murfreesboro. I think you may be underestimating their depth. They start the five seniors, and deservedly so. Bradley, Bowers, the Marosite twins, and Isaacs all usually see pretty good minutes off the bench. It is hard to play meaningful minutes for 14 players so Pietrowski, Robinson, McCrary, and Kiser do not get many opportunities. However, I honestly believe that all nine of their bench players could be starters or meaningful contributors on many other area teams. It is a good problem to have.

Edited by coachh17

Fair enough. I am not saying they will win the state or even get there, but I do think they are a top 10 team and have a good chance to reach Murfreesboro. I think you may be underestimating their depth. They start the five seniors, and deservedly so. Bradley, Bowers, the Marosite twins, and Isaacs all usually see pretty good minutes off the bench. It is hard to play meaningful minutes for 14 players so Pietrowski, Robinson, McCrary, and Kiser do not get many opportunities. However, I honestly believe that all nine of their bench players could be starters or meaningful contributors on many other area teams. It is a good problem to have.

Guess some of the issues will be settled next year.