Greenback what happened?

semperwrestlin

Hey yall, I now live in Powell and have not been able to keep up with the Wrestling Program at Greenback like i would have like to. So if anyone has any news about what has happend or anything it would be nice to hear something... Thanks in advance

SemperWrestlin

Little school that a few years ago regularly won the region and placed 5th at states has seen their program collapse. Not a single wrestler qualified for states last year. AD's have always been basketball people who never really supported the program and at times were downright hostile. The head coach back when the program was decent left to coach football 4 years ago, fooball paid and wrestling didn't. Been a revolving door ever since. AD took away the home dates for several years so his jv basketball team could practice leaving the team with zero ability to make money. Kids club / middle school team was disbanded 3 years ago insuring the varsity has many more years of dismal teams. I could go on but you get the drift.

Today there are handful of kids and a young coach trying to rebuild but it is going to be long hard road. Hard to see the program at the level it was ever again but I guess its better off than McMinn Central. New Principal did get a couple of home dates so the team had a few bucks to work with. At the moment still no feeder program, not a pretty picture but maybe a glimmer of hope.

Edited by maj

Maybe I'm wrong but perhaps haslams money has gone into something called the pilot program in east TN & sent a few wrestlers to a few schools ...and as a result, they may not appreciate this kind of inequality?

I'm sure the wrestling program would love to find a benifactor if that is what you are alluding to, but I am not sure where you are going with this.

I'm sure the wrestling program would love to find a benifactor if that is what you are alluding to, but I am not sure where you are going with this.

Not sure either. Did you ever see the Andy Griffith episode where Goober grows a beard and suddenly is an expert on everything? This episode comes to mind when I read most of Sommers’ posts.

I think if the kids that are wrestling for GB stay with the program,coach Ward will build up a good team,in my opinion Caleb Arp,Donavon Folkner,Taylor Breeden and Jacob Martin are all alot better than they were last year.Ward is a dedicated coach,and has a sensible schedule this year because of lack of funds ,I think all but two matches are in GB and blount co.