Tri-County Seven- Week #5

coachh17

It is pretty easy for me to rank 1,2, and 7. 3 through 6 is a struggle. We have had enough head to head matchups to give me a pretty good guide. I believe every team, except maybe Happy Valley, is in a holiday tournament somewhere this week. Good luck to all, stay healthy, enjoy your families, and Merry Christmas!

1. Elizabethton- (AA) (10-1)- Had a nice 15 point road win at South Greene and then a long break. Will be in Dorman, SC for a tournament after Christmas. This team is solid and has a high ceiling. Look for the wins to pile up in the new year as Coach Dugger tries to get back to the Boro after coming up short last year..

2. Hampton- (A) (11-3)- Coach Tolley's Lady Dogs are rolling merrily along and Murfreesboro is the target. Getting solid contributions out of all 5 starters. Developing some quality depth may determine how far they go. We get a good look at them at Boone Tourney this week.

3. Unicoi County- (AA) (5-5)- I am not sure their record is accurate. Lost a tough 2 point game to a good Sullivan South squad. Will be playing in the Boone tournament. Edwards and Laughren are reliable. They need more consistency out of their younger players. I think Harness, True, Webb, and the other young post, who's name escapes me, will get better by tournament time.

4. Happy Valley- (AA) (5-5)- It has been understandably quiet on Warrior Hill in wake of the tragic stabbing death of a student. Please pray for the families involved, the school, and the community.

5. Unaka- (A) (7-5)- The Lady Rangers beat Johnson County and had a big district road win over North Greene last week. I think this team can move up and be a contender in the Region. They will be in the Boone tournament this week.

6. Cloudland- (A) (4-7)- They are getting healthy and beat Johnson County and a pretty good AAA Cherokee team last week. Rhodes is back. They will be a factor the rest of the way. A holiday tournament in Lenoir City should be fun this week for the rejuvenated Lady Landers.

7. Johnson County- (AA) (1-8)- Close, but no cigar, sums up the Lady Horns' season so far. They lost competitive games to Unaka, Hampton, and Cloudland last week. Coach Whittemore has his team in nearly every game, but learning to win is the final, and most difficult, hurdle they face. Keep fighting and the wins will come!

Edited by coachh17

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I agree with all the rankings so far. This is the part of the year where alot of teams will be seeing newer opponents and will be tested. Unicoi plays Boone which I think will be a great matchup test. Along with Unaka playing a pretty good Smith County team. Seems like since Unaka lost Bradshaw their intensity to win or chip their way back into games has been on a much higher level.And to get a big district win against North Greene this early was huge.No clue about how the teams are Elizabethton and Happy Valley play but should be very competitive for both groups to get out of the area and play newer competition.Hampton will have a tough one with South but Hampton is up and down it seems like this month but I look for Hampton to come out with the win.Johnson County is playing everyone close and battles for the entire game just seems like their lack of depth catches up with them down the stretch.They have a very good chanche against Greenback in their Christmas tournament so I am hoping coach Whit and his group can pull one out. Cloudland travels to Lenoir City where im sure will be some very tough competition.But with everyone now getting healthy the Lady Landers should be in rare form to go down there and make some noise. Everyone have a Merry Christmas and safe holiday.

Edited by grassroots176

Elizabethton plays the host team, Dorman, in the opening round of the Upward Classic in Spartanburg this week. I don't know anything about the opposing team other than they finished in the top 16 in 4A in SC last year. There are 3 teams from SC, 2 each from GA and TN and 1 from NC in the girls' bracket. I'm guessing the competition will be stiff.

I found out that Happy Valley plays Portland High School @ Midway on Thursday in their christmas tournament. And Elizabethton plays the host team Dormon High School.

Dorman is that HUGE school next to I-26 that you pass on your way to those SC beaches. Looks like a small college from the road. Pretty sure enrollment is bigger there than any school this side of Nashville. Good luck to Betsy down there.

The rankings look good.

My take:

1. Elizabethton- Talented and playing well!

2. Hampton- Playing well and LTs teams are always better after Christmas.

3. Unicoi County- Playing better than expected with their youth and inexperience. Foul trouble

has cost them 2 games.

4. Happy Valley- Seem to be playing up and down but are definitly on the right track.

5. Unaka - Haven't seen them yet. Have to take your ranking.

6. Cloudland- Injuries and inexperience have cost them to this point but will climb quickly in the

New Year.

7. Johnson County- Very competitive right now and will only get better with Whittamore (sp).

Dorman is that HUGE school next to I-26 that you pass on your way to those SC beaches. Looks like a small college from the road. Pretty sure enrollment is bigger there than any school this side of Nashville. Good luck to Betsy down there.

Dorman has a 7-2 record posting a 6-0 home record only have 3 seniors mostly a junior team with 7, K. webb a junior leads team with 17.6 pts/gm followed by Sr. C. samuel 14.1 shoot 27% from bhind the arc 43% from inside the arc and seems FT is their weakness they shoot 52% from the charity stripe they pull down 36 rebs/gm swipe 13 stls/gm and block 3 shots/gm. just some stats for a look at what Dorman has done this yr.