Best match at Team State?

TNwrestler2015

Thx sir Ghouse, How would your Oliver match up with Millhof & the Russells... close I would assume?

Also on super 32– could we do better? There are more from the NE & I mid west than the SE it a ears?!?! I was pleased to hear recently, union County had Brock Ervin go to iron man and lose his first in a while against the 1 # ranked 126 in nation.... BY ONLY ONE POINT.

Soms,

Hard to say as styles make matches but given objective results you would need to give the edge to Millhof or Russell right now as they are more proven and consistent on the big stage. Of course Millhof is usually a weight higher but there are some comparison points with Russell.

The last two years in KC Russell has made the finals while Oliver has wrestled for 5th and 7th. This past season at KC Oliver lost to Ke-Shawn Hayes of Park Hill, MO 4-2 in the quartefinals and Hayes defeated Russell 3-1 in OT on a questionable TD. Once you get to that level everyone is close and it is usually one mental mistake or lapse than decides the match. Oliver's challenge at that level is still consistency as he went on to win his next two and then lost for fifth against an opponent I thought / think he should defeat.

Not sure I follow your question on Super 32, but Brock Ervin is a stud from a great family. I was disappointed the last few years he and Robinson never got to match-up.

Edited by ghouse

Very in-depth response ghouse but we will just agree to disagree.. You can do all the research you want to on your computer but like I said I've been to both tournaments and I was just basing my opinion on what I've seen in the gym and on the mat and I think both tournaments are comparable and my other post was just giving a current head to head projection based on the latest results. Didn't mean to upset you guys from West TN.

mocs2011: I'm not sure who you're referring to getting pummelled when Cleveland won the toughest tournament in Florida and placed 2nd by 5.5 points to nationally ranked team at GP West. Do you care to explain yourself?

I was really just having some fun. Even being a Chattanooga wrestling homer and Cleveland fan, I can see clearly enough to realize that the Knockout Christmas Classic was not as strong as KC. Still a great win for Cleveland High. Cleveland was very close to CBHS at GP West and is likely not that far out of the top 50 at least in actual talent, but there were "8" ranked teams ahead of CBHS at KC. I could start quoting Intermat and Floranking that are relevant, but Ghouse has that covered.

To poke a little more deserved fun your way, if you were with Gordon Lee as suggested by Ghouse, they finished 34th out of 37th at KC last year. Kind of hard from that far down to make too many credible statements about how tough the top teams or wrestlers really were.

ghouse:

For the record, if you wanna stick strictly to the facts then do a little bit more research in the future because what you claim as facts in your rebuttal is false, namely that the Osceola tournament had only 2 nationally ranked wrestlers compared to 14 or whatever you said it was in Kansas City. I didn't know this would turn into a debate when I said that both tournaments were very comparable based on what I've seen at the tournaments but since you felt the need to research the 'facts' to make an arguement then let me provide some facts that you left out somehow while belittling the Osceola tournament. They're both great tournaments as I said originally, and IMO I believe as a whole they are both very comparable in strength and depth. Agree or disagree, we don't need a full deposition.

Kissimmi – Osceola Tournament Nationally Ranked Wrestlers (based on current USA rankings)

1. #1 Baldwin (KO)

2. #8 J. Prince (PH)

3. #8 Hartman (PH)

4. #9 Shipley (LHP)

5. #9 Ross (SP)

6. #10 Grimes (HI)

7. #18 Ramirez (SD)

8. #20 Spengler (LHP)

9. #21 Dominguez (KO)

10. #21 Herrera (SP)

11. #24 Hall (STA)

12. #26 West (CLV)

13. #28 C. Prince (PH)

14. #29 Pagan (KO)

15. HM Petrone (LHP)

...and to repley to an another post, the Beast, Ironman, and Super 32 are at a different level than EITHER of these tournaments.

That looks like grade level rankings and not true national rankings. Im not saying this isnt a huge compliment and achievement but true national rankins are all grade levels combined and I think thats what ghouse was listing at Kc. Without looking them all up I would say it would be safe to bet there were 50+ kids at kc that would be ranked in the grade level rankings.

Edited by conspirator

Science Hills:

1. Father Ryan... huge

2. Soddy Daisy... by a lot

3. Scottboro, AL - 157

4. Baylor - 154.5

5. Bradley- 154

Coach Smith is hungry to build something looking for stepping stones... losing only by 1/2 pt + a close 31-27- match to Baylor... A historic baylor/Bradley match up, but NOW things seem even more interesting... Glad I Found it!

The Cheesehead is not Apple Valley's tournament, I was referring to the one in Wisconsin on your #5 list. And until recently I believe KC and Cheesehead were the only ones using that format but I'm sure other schools are catching on. If you wanna spend more time and do some more research to prove that others are doing it then thats great too.

It is what it is, a difference of opinion. I never said that the Florida tournament was tougher than KC and I never knew it would turn into a debate and offend people that never attend either tournament, I was just stating my opinion that Florida tournament was comparable to KC. I'm just glad to see some TN teams finally competing out of state, and others showing their support by sitting at home and grading them. Its kinda hard to compare tournaments if you wasn't there, kinda like me argueing that Alabama's state tournament is tougher than Tennessee's when I haven't been to either one. Kinda hard to make any credible statements about how tough the top teams or wrestlers really were if you wasn't there and didn't have a dog in the fight.

Again, both great tournaments and both very comparable with KC having a slight edge. Congratulations to all the teams and wrestlers that decided to compete out of state and get better and get some exposure.

So back to the original topic, which will be the best dual match at state? My pick is Cleveland/Soddy for DIV1 (if both sides are healthy) but I'm sure others that know much more than any one else will disagree. Have fun with that!