Crossfit and Wrestling

mktyl

Most Crossfit gyms will happily oblige you in making tailored workouts for specific sports. I know a few sports teams that have some kind of partnership with Crossfit gyms. The gyms will build workouts specific to the sports' endurance and strength needs. I have even seen this done with Lacrosse. Most Crossfit gyms don't follow the workout online. I've only been to one gym where that was actually adhered to. Also, IMO, Crossfit is a much better "in-season" training than straight weight lifting.

Edited by jomibaking

Most Crossfit gyms will happily oblige you in making tailored workouts for specific sports. I know a few sports teams that have some kind of partnership with Crossfit gyms. The gyms will build workouts specific to the sports' endurance and strength needs. I have even seen this done with Lacrosse. Most Crossfit gyms don't follow the workout online. I've only been to one gym where that was actually adhered to. Also, IMO, Crossfit is a much better "in-season" training than straight weight lifting.

The gyms will build sports specific workouts? Give me a break. Most people running crossfit gyms have no education regarding strength training programs. They are oportunists who bought a franchise. Crossfit is great for adults looking for guidance to get into shape and be fit. But for athletes looking to get the most gain from their workout time crossfit is not the way to go.

The gyms will build sports specific workouts? Give me a break. Most people running crossfit gyms have no education regarding strength training programs. They are oportunists who bought a franchise. Crossfit is great for adults looking for guidance to get into shape and be fit. But for athletes looking to get the most gain from their workout time crossfit is not the way to go.

The gyms definitely vary and I am sure there are those that are, as you stated "non educated opportunists" but in order to have the title of a Crossfit gym, they must have Crossfit certified coaches that have a wealth of knowledge in strength, endurance, mobility, flexibility and explosive training. You must have had a bad experience or are uneducated yourself in the Crossfit realm.

What I was alluding to in the earlier post was not necessarily at a gym Crossfit work out but tailored workouts targeting Metabolic Conditioning, strength training, joint mobility, flexibility and explosive power. The workouts posted on the websites are more for the generic population but all of the exercises and workouts can be tailored to make an exceptionally fit wrestler.

Crossfit offers every aspect of functional fitness for any and every lifestyle. I was just wondering if they have made their way into any wrestling programs regime. As I said before, it has made a huge difference.

Some of our wrestlers have done it on their own, outside of the team realm. We haven't incorporated it into our team training. The wrestlers that have done it on their own have shown great improvement in areas like endurance and explosiveness. For one in particular he was able to put on some lean muscle over the summer.

Im not knocking crossfit just to knock it. What I'm attempting to get across is there is a wealth of knowledge out there about wrestling strength training. Somebody with a wrestling background and training knowledge is going to be far superior at getting the most out of workout time than a "Crossfit certified coach". I have worked out at a Crossfit gym and I'll admit it was cool to see people jazzed up to workout and push one another. However, I saw a lot of negative and dangerous things happening.

I have seen many of the same workouts used in wrestling \ mma training...but more toward wrestling specific so dont get why you are so anti crossfit ..

.take all things about training and wrestling technique...dump it in the top of a collundeer...and what is applicable to help YOU be a better wrestler use it...not everything works the same for everybody but you can always learn something new.... I agree with cross fit doing some things I would never want a wrestler to do ....crazy stuff but that comes back to the above mentioned collundeer

Edited by mfceo

I have been to a couple gyms where the trainers were not well educated, and the technique for lifts were rather poor. However, one of the Crossfit gym owners in our area, and my favorite so far, was a trainer for professional sports teams. It's hard to say that someone like that has the experience (and college degree) is going to let dangerous things happen. If you signed up for his gym, you had to take a two week course which covered proper technique for most of the lifts and exercises before you ever did a real WOD.

I've also seen, in weight rooms, guys pumping each other up while executing terrible technique on lifts that we consider normal (i.e. bench press, squat, cleans). Also, I'd like to know if most schools have access to a professional strength training coach with wrestling experience.

There are pros and cons to everything. You, or the wrestler, have to be wise and knowledgeable about what programs or gyms that you (general you) decide to invest in.

Big Boy recipe for success

In Season

Airdyne Bike for 20 minutes 1 min. full speed, 1 minute coast, repeat

Shadow wrestle every day. When your teamates are playing around,

and at the end of practice.

Push yourself harder than any other wrestler.

Off Season

Hit the gym....Strength, strength, strength !

Need help with the gym ??? Get a membership with Steve Preston @

Wrestlingperformance.com

All things equal, the stronger wrestler wins !