officiating!

moorecounty2003

Good post and you're right most people in the stands have no clue as to what the right call is. As a former asst high school coach I've seen my fair share of good and bad officiating. What I have never been able to figure out is why the home team always seems to get more calls than the visiting team and like I said I've been on both sides of this. To me a foul is a foul no matter if you're home or away and if it's a foul in the first quarter it's still a foul at the end of the game. Officiating a game is one tough job thats for sure. We have some good officials and some that are not so good. After this season I've decided I'm going to become one and instead of complaining about them I'm going to do something about it!

Good to hear!!! I've always taken a little bit of pride in the fact that I "swallow" my personal bias in a game that I'm watching when it comes to officiating...if a player for "my" school commits a foul or a turnover,I'll be the first to admit it.I'll also admit that I'm not silent at a ballgame,but I try to do more cheering than complaining.Maybe that's why it offends me so badly when I see someone who takes no pride in his "work".All the best to you in your new endevor,I know you realize how tough it's going to be,but I think you'll be honest...you're already ahead of serveral veterans.

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Tonight was as bad as I've seen. Multiple instances of players knocked down, knocked out of bounds with no fouls called. One bad fall could end a season or career. One young girls player I know of will be out 12 months with an ACL, because the officials let her get knocked to the floor with no call. There's no reason to risk that because of laziness or bias. Disgusted at the performance of the officials tonight.

Edited by Indian

I was at the game also and watched what you watched and you are right it was bad. I was told tonight by one of the officials that in a 25 point game he not going to call the pushing and shoving calls unless there was intent. Guess the rules change when you are up or down by 25 points. I did not know of this rule change I learned some thing tonight.

I have noticed that when one team gets a pretty good lead the calls stop as well. It really isn't their job to "even" up the score.

No you are right in that it is no one’s responsibility to keep things even on the scoreboard. But it is most certainly the responsibility of the crew at all times regardless of score to enforce those rules designed to protect players…period. It is this piece that is the most disturbing lapse of priority that nowhere is checked…not at the local officials association and certainly not at the TSSAA, that seems more interested in fighting the chancellor’s open records decisions under the fob off of “We feel like it’s not in the interest of the kids that we are trying to help to have this ruling there,†he said. Perhaps if these guys where so concerned about “the interest of kids†they might lift a finger to see what just happens on any given Tuesday or Friday night.

The problem last night was there was very little called, until the scoring margin got to be 20+ points. Then it was like "okay we will call some things and you can't say there was a discrepancy in the fouls". One team had a lot of uncontested lay-ups and three-point shots, so they wouldn't have drawn many fouls normally-the team that won, the other team was trying to get it inside more with their main guard out with an injury. One player had an open shot under the basket and was pushed in the back from behind, no effort at all to even touch the ball, the player was sent nearly into the wall and there's no call made. That really might have been the worst no-call I've ever seen.

No you are right in that it is no one’s responsibility to keep things even on the scoreboard. But it is most certainly the responsibility of the crew at all times regardless of score to enforce those rules designed to protect players…period. It is this piece that is the most disturbing lapse of priority that nowhere is checked…not at the local officials association and certainly not at the TSSAA, that seems more interested in fighting the chancellor’s open records decisions under the fob off of “We feel like it’s not in the interest of the kids that we are trying to help to have this ruling there,†he said. Perhaps if these guys where so concerned about “the interest of kids†they might lift a finger to see what just happens on any given Tuesday or Friday night.

I agree with you. That is my point. I have seen quite a few get hurt because the officials seemed to be overlooking things because a team falls behind in the score.

again, the flat pay does not have much to do with officials "migrating" to higher levels. Officials move up because they are asked to move up because of their ability. Juco, NAIA, D2 officials are recruited. You just cannot say I want to do it and they let you.

Officials are in a no win situation. One set of fans and often both sets of fans scream and yell and bad mouth and insult and demean them all night long. Put on your "big-boy" or "big-girl" panties and be a ref. They miss plays and calls. That is part of the game.

How about 200 people come to your office and start berating you at your job for each time you do not do something right. Or let's just take this thread. Each time someone spells a word incorrectly or uses incorrect grammar, let's all degrade and berate the poster.

I think the refs are calling the games the way the fans want the game to be called. When the refs try to call the game a little tight, fans strart screaming about "let them play" "stop calling tick-tack fouls". Or when they let them play, fans are upset about the refs not calling anything and the players are going to get hurt.

Blaming the refs is the very reason our children think it is someone else's fault that they lose and never their own mistakes. Cheer for your team. Use the energy to support your team and not complaining about the refs.

Your are correct, all of us make mistakes, coaches, players, officials, etc. However, call the obvious, control the game, and hold no bias. I do not believe those three things are too hard for officials who get PAID and are supposed to recieve PROPER training to be able to execute.

But I disagree regarding blaming refs are the reason our children pass the buck....If they would do thier job I believe (the quality coaches) would make sure they do feel responsibile for thier own play. However, when we lose a game the other night because a bucket was counted (tip in) completely after the buzzer sounded its hard to take that approach. Our kids were robbed of a chance to make it into overtime ( I did not say robbed of a win), so how should those kids feel when they're outcome was decided by adults who were completely wrong (yes, film does not lie).

I for one believe that three quarters of the refs out there are at least competent at calling the game of basketball. Its the small group of guys that a.) Just don't know the rules b.) are there to be seen as athority figures c.) carry a chip on their shoulders that make us ALL look bad. And also, God bless them, the guys that KNOW the rules and KNOW the game but have just gotten too old to keep up and don't want to admit that fact to themselves.

On a side note, I find it quite scary the amount of fans and even COACHES (more so on the middle school level) that think they know the rules but just don't.. 85% of fans watching a school ball game are yelling for "3 seconds!!!" every single time down the floor, having NO idea that the ball has to be in team control (team control ends once a shot is released) for there to be a 3 second count.. another one I love is when a play has a super high dribble and all the fans yell for a carrying violation, thinking that its is somehow illegal to have a dribble above your chest. Another time I had to explain to a coach that the top of the back board is still in play after he flipped his stuff when a shot bounced off the top and then back down.

I for one believe that three quarters of the refs out there are at least competent at calling the game of basketball. Its the small group of guys that a.) Just don't know the rules b.) are there to be seen as athority figures c.) carry a chip on their shoulders that make us ALL look bad. And also, God bless them, the guys that KNOW the rules and KNOW the game but have just gotten too old to keep up and don't want to admit that fact to themselves.

On a side note, I find it quite scary the amount of fans and even COACHES (more so on the middle school level) that think they know the rules but just don't.. 85% of fans watching a school ball game are yelling for "3 seconds!!!" every single time down the floor, having NO idea that the ball has to be in team control (team control ends once a shot is released) for there to be a 3 second count.. another one I love is when a play has a super high dribble and all the fans yell for a carrying violation, thinking that its is somehow illegal to have a dribble above your chest. Another time I had to explain to a coach that the top of the back board is still in play after he flipped his stuff when a shot bounced off the top and then back down.

Good post crazyness and I agree that its the 20-25% out there that often cause the most problems. Coaches, players, parents and officials make mistakes and I think folks understand that. But I think the aspect in all this that creates the most heartburn for coaches, players, fans, and parents is the lack of some system of oversight or accountbility for those cases where calls where indeed missed or control lost, especially if player injuries resulted. Ultimately this system design should be the TSSAA responsibility which if it can spend $2.5MM on a lawsuit with Brentwood Acadamy or now commit untold resouces to overturn an open file ruling under the rue of pretecting kids, should it not also take an interest in this?

A few games ago we counted the other team's main post being in the lane, "while the ball was in the team's control", several times more than 10 seconds, once close to 20 seconds. That was scoreboard seconds, not counting in the head seconds, a big difference sometimes. Of course there was a lot of yelling and hollering for 3 seconds but it was never called. Eventually that player is going to be open, or at the very least will be in prime position to get an offensive rebound and easy put back. That's the type of laziness/bias, that leaves the teams and fans angry and should result in such refs being at least reprimanded if not replaced.

Your are correct, all of us make mistakes, coaches, players, officials, etc. However, call the obvious, control the game, and hold no bias. I do not believe those three things are too hard for officials who get PAID and are supposed to recieve PROPER training to be able to execute.

But I disagree regarding blaming refs are the reason our children pass the buck....If they would do thier job I believe (the quality coaches) would make sure they do feel responsibile for thier own play. However, when we lose a game the other night because a bucket was counted (tip in) completely after the buzzer sounded its hard to take that approach. Our kids were robbed of a chance to make it into overtime ( I did not say robbed of a win), so how should those kids feel when they're outcome was decided by adults who were completely wrong (yes, film does not lie).

Good points. The only question or follow up would be: how many free throws did the team miss? Did they miss any wide open, easy paint points? Did the team have 5-10 unforced turnovers that lead to fast break points? If the answer to ALL of these questions is "no", they i would agree, they were robbed of playing in overtime. If the answer is "yes" to any of these, they robbed themselves.

By no means is this an put down of the hard work the ladies put in to keep game a nail-biter. This is just the way I see it.

Edited by DougS