State Dual Refs

randysavage

The officiating this past weekend was the worst I have seen in the state tournament ever. Some of thes officials need to look at doing something else with their spare time because they impact young mens lives who work so hard to improve their wrestling. The poor officiating was not directed at any one team. The loving was spread around to all.

• Upvote 1

It's interesting to read the many compliants regarding the poor officiating at the State Duals! Not one person had anything positive to say about the officials.

It's super interesting how overweight dads officiate from the stands while downing their double cheeseburger and drinking a diet coke! I dont believe in a million years that any official intends to make a poor call and potentially cost a kid the match. Mistakes occur as WE are all human! But, I happen to know several officials and I'm hard pressed to believe that these guys were as you say, the worst!

Many of these spectators have NEVER read a rule book or case book. Yet, they some how know better than the official! Hmmmm! If you know better than the official then get your lazy self on the mat and call the perfect match! Otherwise, keep your mouth closed and finish adding to your waist line while sitting in the stands!

Edited by getreal2005

Getreal--obviously you are one of those (or closely related) horrible refs they speak of. Attitudes like yours are the problem. YES the officiating was bad. Rather than making excuses, work to get better and weed out the really pathetic ones.

And even though you can't believe it in a million years, some referees do in fact want to make themselves a part of the match. Countless examples have been pointed out here, but there is certainly an elite attitude among the refs that coaches cannot quesiton a call or even ask for explaination without a warning or unsportsman. Like you said yes they are human and to expect that they make the correct call 100% of the time is unrealistic. Therefore why is a coach penalized for asking for explaination on a incorrect call? THATS the problem, no coach can even question or they are unsportsman.

A good referee should never be noticed. The attention should be on the wrestlers--most of the time if a referee has been noticed, then he has interjected himself into the action unnecessarily.

The truth will set you free.

Edited by truthsquad
  • Upvote 1

A good referee should never be noticed... Invisible is what I was taught by the best in the 70's & 80's.

Since I tried it, I have found myself keeping my loud mouth, as some may say, muffled a bit. I remind myself that I have done this and IT AIN'T EASY.

DON'T believe me? ...go grab the stripes & whistle, get trained and take the test. Or just sit back and accept the calls - good or bad.

...Not that calling Mike Parker, Ralph Williams or Kenny Mara with an observation isn't out of the question. Probably not a bad idea with a little footage to back it up with.

I myself seen horrible calls masde at this tournament.. parents masy not know it all but video does not lie cheat, or steal a match from anybody. when we can sit there and replay and see the obvious it is sad to think that we spend our hard earned money tto make sure some of these refs get paid. I watched some very talented kids get matches blown by horrible calls. these kids work to hard to have some not make the right calls.