get well Keeg Matlock of Heritage

mfceo

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The refs always have te best view, despite what people on the bench and in the stands are yelling. He'll see when he's pinned or if he wasnt. I trust the refs judgement here, spladles are tough to tell from the stands, they'll always look stuck but the ref is really the only person who can see if they are or aren't.

That being said, I wish him well on his road to recovery and I hope he's back in time to continue at the next level.

Always? If I remember correctly, the ref jumped down on the wrong side and started counting near fall. There was no way to see the pin because he put himself in bad position. He should have anticipated what was going on. The move developed very slow and if he knew what a spladle was then he should have been in position. The ref was lazy and out of position. The idea that refs can't be wrong is part of the problem we have with the quality of officials in tn. Maybe use some of that parking money to get some training for these guys.

Anyone have any word on the injured knee? I sure hope he gets to wrestle for a state title.

Sorry, HSDAD, that knee had NEVER been injured before . The initial injury was the reason for the "injury time".There was no prior injury.

Sorry, I had that part wrong. I heard another wrestler comment when he did not go

to the table at his normal weight against Cleveland, that his knee has been hurting for some time.

Edited by HSDAD

I know I'm a little late posting this but I was over watching soddy and central(on mat 2 where as heritage and Cleveland were all the way over on mat 1)and looked over and if I was able to tell that west was pinned then I see no reason that the ref couldn't.

I was on the floor as well he was pinned there was no space under the shoulders or kids whole back for that matter. Ref was way out of position and the 2nd ref apparently was watching the same mat. They had started counting back points (while standing) but he wasn't even awarded those.

In my opinion, Matlock had the pin for close to 5 seconds. My vantage point was from 20 feet away matside from the angle that the referee SHOULD have been viewing the spladle. The referee in question never got into position as the Asst was actually in the location for correct viewing of a spladle (i.e. from 90 deg angle from the spladler). It was pretty obvious to me and to a large portion of the crowd that Matlock was going for the spladle, yet the reaction by the referees indicated a lack of awareness on the application of wrestling moves. It was unfortunate that the injury occured later, but you can't blame that on a referee.

I wish the best to Keagan and hope to see him across the mat for several years to come in college.

According to the rules, the assistant referee's position should be directly opposite of the head referee, which is 180 degrees. If the assistant referee was in the correct position to call a pin from a spladle, 90 degree angle from the splader, then the head referee was also in correct position...opposite of the assistant and also 90 degrees from the splader. Both referees were on the mat opposite of each other, both 90 degrees from the spadler, so that each of them had a view to each side of the bottom wrestler (vantage point: 20 inches away). Spladles often leave the shoulders of the bottom wrestler on top of his own abdomen instead of on the mat. Near fall was counted and awarded.

Everyone always has different opinions of what they see in a wrestling match but by now we should all know that no matter what call is made, someone will argue it. Its useless to make excuses and complain about not getting the call you want in wrestling because it happens every weekend at every level in the sport, at least in someone's perspective.

With that being said, it was a great match between two experienced wrestlers and I'm sure all of us would have liked to seen the match in its entirety without an injury stoppage. We wish Mr. Matlock the best in his recovery.

Edited by rlwest40

Everyone always has different opinions of what they see in a wrestling match but by now we should all know that no matter what call is made, someone will argue it. Its useless to make excuses and complain about not getting the call you want in wrestling because it happens every weekend at every level in the sport, at least in someone's perspective.

Great Quote !

Mr West,

My intent was not to offend you or your son. He is a great wrestler. Never did i say that the head referee was 180 degrees from the Asst. The head referee was standing behind Matlock from my viewpoint, not off to the side and did not even make an attempt to get down into position. If roles were reversed I would have given the same statement.