get well Keeg Matlock of Heritage

mfceo

No offense taken. Just clarifying the fact that there was a referee in position opposite of each other on the mat. The head referee changed levels a couple of times to see the position but was at the head of Matlock while the assistant was on the mat 180 degrees opposite side at the feet of Matlock. I'm not sure how either could have improved their position and apparently neither referee was convinced it was a pin, and they had the best view in the arena. Arguments and complaints at this point are a waste of time. We've all been on both sides of circumstances like this in the past. Sometimes calls go your way, sometimes they don't. In times like this character is the main concern. Excuses and controversy negatively affect both sides.

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I will agree with you on that point sir. Obviously our remembrance of where the referees were positioned are different, which as many have stated is our right to state.

One of the biggest problems with "bad calls" or "missed calls" with officiating wrestling in general and any sport really is improper mechanics. I have been on both sides of these calls due to improper mechanics my whole wrestling/coaching career. It is frustrating, but as you said...character is the main concern.

I wish Ethan the best at State as he goes for a title.

Coach Knepper

Edited by coachknepper

According to the rules, the assistant referee's position should be directly opposite of the head referee, which is 180 degrees. If the assistant referee was in the correct position to call a pin from a spladle, 90 degree angle from the splader, then the head referee was also in correct position...opposite of the assistant and also 90 degrees from the splader. Both referees were on the mat opposite of each other, both 90 degrees from the spadler, so that each of them had a view to each side of the bottom wrestler (vantage point: 20 inches away). Spladles often leave the shoulders of the bottom wrestler on top of his own abdomen instead of on the mat. Near fall was counted and awarded.

Everyone always has different opinions of what they see in a wrestling match but by now we should all know that no matter what call is made, someone will argue it. Its useless to make excuses and complain about not getting the call you want in wrestling because it happens every weekend at every level in the sport, at least in someone's perspective.

With that being said, it was a great match between two experienced wrestlers and I'm sure all of us would have liked to seen the match in its entirety without an injury stoppage. We wish Mr. Matlock the best in his recovery.

Near fall WAS NOT awarded. Either way, Get well Keagan!!!! And I didn't mean to offend anyone either. It was a good match. Both did great. West kept wrestling well after the call & didn't lose composure which counts for a whole lot sometimes. If I offended anyone it was directed at the official. No you can't see everything all the time, but.... thats all under another topic... and there are some good officials out there, too. Edited by blah67