The Memphis Conspiracy

dwhunter45

Fourteen teams in one district!!!! Come on man!!! What was the TSSAA thinking? Next year District 16A will have 14 teams competing in their district. Things aren't much better for the 16AA teams either. I believe it is only a matter of time before the same thing happens in Class AAA. Why the changes? You eliminate half of the teams that would compete in the regional tournament before it even starts. Only allow 4 teams to advance, and make them travel on alternate years to Jackson, Dyersburg, etc., etc. Any real fan understands the politics of sectional games, now you have that scenerio mutilplied on the regional level. But then you have districts with 5 and 6 teams. Boy, they really have to play hard to advance. Try setting up brackets for a 14 team tournament when you can only play two games at one site on school nights! And Heaven forbid you have to play around some type of post season city or county championship. (Who knows what will happen with the MIAA City Championships after the merger). I'm sorry TSSAA, you screwed this one up! Instead of coming up with a format that would increase student participation, you've come up with a system that favors the money maker rural schools. Shame on you!!

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

If you're waiting on them to come up a fair system, please don't hold your breath. They asked the schools if they liked the current Z plan for the football playoffs, majority said no, they kept it the way it is. Why you asked? Cause it made a lot more of these $$$ than it would if they changed it.

I agree 14 teams is beyond too many in 1 district. Ideally 6 to 8 across the board would be best. In the West Section of 1A you have 4 districts of 9,9,7, and 14 in the next classification period. Thats 39 teams playing for 2 spots. In the other sections you have 28,25, and 26 playing for 2 spots each. 16A got jobbed, and 13A,14A, and 15A got licked as well. But its all done for the sake of travel so they say. And I see where they are coming from. 2 hour bus rides on school nights are no good.

The only district in the state with 4 teams next period is 13AAA which is a hodge podge of big rural schools that are out in the middle of nowhere and only 2 districts statewide have 5 teams. (7A and 4AA) Class 2A and 3A are pretty even as far as numbers in each district/section go and I don't see it changing especially in 3A where schools are clustered so close to bigger cities. However as usual small schools get the shaft and football rules the roost.

-Steps down from soapbox-

All you get is 24 regular season games. So not sure how that'll work. Have to use Hall of Fame games to play rivals. Unless they do a division system like some have done in football and baseball but I don't care much for the idea. You wouldn't want to send them to Jackson because of the travel. I say split them into two 7 team districts. Then move other teams in the state around to make them fit into the remaining 15 districts. Doesn't make sense to have 14 teams playing for four spots in one area and 6 teams playing for four spots in another area.

Edited by jvaughan

The other district (15) only has 7 teams so then you run into seeding issues cause you obviously can't take 8 from a 7 team district. So if you only take 4 from district 15 who are the 8 from district 16 going to play? But on the plus side your idea means more games which means more gates which means more $$. And we all who likes $$....

If you're waiting on them to come up a fair system, please don't hold your breath. They asked the schools if they liked the current Z plan for the football playoffs, majority said no, they kept it the way it is. Why you asked? Cause it made a lot more of these $$$ than it would if they changed it.

I agree 14 teams is beyond too many in 1 district. Ideally 6 to 8 across the board would be best. In the West Section of 1A you have 4 districts of 9,9,7, and 14 in the next classification period. Thats 39 teams playing for 2 spots. In the other sections you have 28,25, and 26 playing for 2 spots each. 16A got jobbed, and 13A,14A, and 15A got licked as well. But its all done for the sake of travel so they say. And I see where they are coming from. 2 hour bus rides on school nights are no good.

The only district in the state with 4 teams next period is 13AAA which is a hodge podge of big rural schools that are out in the middle of nowhere and only 2 districts statewide have 5 teams. (7A and 4AA) Class 2A and 3A are pretty even as far as numbers in each district/section go and I don't see it changing especially in 3A where schools are clustered so close to bigger cities. However as usual small schools get the shaft and football rules the roost.

-Steps down from soapbox-

Every small school in West Tn has it rough,no way would it ever be equal,but one in 39 isn't as good as one in 25 odds wise...and to jog your memory Coach Vaughn,how long was the bus ride from Riverside to Middleton?Some more thought should be given to district placement...Riverside for example is closer to Perry Co.,Frank Hughes,Clarksburg,and Wayne Co. than they are to four of their district opponents.It might take a little thought,but most districts could be realigned to cut mileage and even out the numbers.