Umpiring In Chattanooga!

chattacane

I have a tough job, but I get paid for it so I don’t have folks sitting in bleachers screaming at me when I get something wrong. So with that I do have some compassion for the Umps.

But, I have been around a while seen a lot of baseball. This year’s crops of umps are having some issues with the rule book or the lack of knowledge of it. Some not all seem to lets say not move to get in position to make calls, that I have issues with. In any job I do not care what you do if you don’t like the job or have a passion for it you’re not going to be very good. The same is for umpiring. When your work becomes all about the $$$$ and a part time job, your not going to be good at it. Seems we have a lot of Umps that have part time jobs that just want the $65. There not very good at there jobs. I was going to leave this a lone but have a guy who works for me whose son is an ump….. seen him work he is very good, I was told he has worked with a lot of guys, who say before the first pitch “God lets get this over with, I want to get home at a decent hourâ€. They have just become a bad ump! Now I went to a tournament in Nashville the umps were very good…. What’s going on in NOOGA? The absolute lack of knowledge of the rules makes me dizzy. Had an ump tell our catcher (we were getting on him pretty good with the moving strike zone) “your fans are idiots!

Been married for 24 years because I am consistent…….. Not good……. Seems umps have a hard time with that. The avg game is 2.5 hours and that’s $26 an hour, come on guys you need a part time job go to the Wal-Mart.

Maybe the fans are idiots!

"His foot is out of the box!" Doesn't matter unless he gets a base hit. Also, foot ON the line in the batters box is OK.

"Where's that one at?" You're standing 100 feet away and don't have an angle. Just because the pitcher hit the mitt, you don't know where the catcher set up at.

"That was a mile outside" No it wasn't, and if little johnny is up there for a walk, why did he bring that $400 hunk of metal with him?

Crying for a balk call - give it up, you don't know the rules.

Edited by Ascendotuum
  • Upvote 1

Maybe the fans are idiots!

"His foot is out of the box!" Doesn't matter unless he gets a base hit. Also, foot ON the line in the batters box is OK.

"Where's that one at?" You're standing 100 feet away and don't have an angle. Just because the pitcher hit the mitt, you don't know where the catcher set up at.

"That was a mile outside" No it wasn't, and if little johnny is up there for a walk, why did he bring that $400 hunk of metal with him?

Crying for a balk call - give it up, you don't know the rules.

I have no idea what your talking about. Yes I do no the rules, yes most fans are idiots. Don't know little Johnny. When a runner steals second, and the pitcher turns and throws to second with out steping off 1st, its a baulk. A ump should never shout Fair Ball! When a pitcher steps off and looks over at 1st and and looks at the runner hard then raise his arm like he is going to throw over an't a baulk. I could keep going and going and going. Had a vet ump this weekend talk to me about this he said we can teach them, go thru meetings but we can't go out there and hold there hands. Give it up Blue and you are.... you got some weak holes in some of your crews, even some of your own kind say so. Edited by chattacane

I have no idea what your talking about. Yes I do no the rules, yes most fans are idiots. Don't know little Johnny. When a runner steals second, and the pitcher turns and throws to second with out steping off 1st, its a baulk. A ump should never shout Fair Ball! When a pitcher steps off and looks over at 1st and and looks at the runner hard then raise his arm like he is going to throw over an't a baulk. I could keep going and going and going. Had a vet ump this weekend talk to me about this he said we can teach them, go thru meetings but we can't go out there and hold there hands. Give it up Blue and you are.... you got some weak holes in some of your crews, even some of your own kind say so.

“God lets get this over with, I want to get home at a decent hourâ€.

Defend that!

I was not going to comment but when I saw this topic I had to respond. My sons had a game last week where the ref working the field should never be doing games above middle school baseball. I am a former football official who worked my way up to Division 1 college football so I have been around some really professional refs and some very poor refs. In my sons game last week the field ref missed 5 easy calls (1 for us and 4 against us). After he missed the 1st call the opposing coach went ballistic, which he should have. The ref proceeded to make 4 unbelievable calls. He simply could not handle the pressure. My goal when I was officiating was for at the end of the game that no one would know I was there. Not only did everybody know this ref was there, the result of his calls allowed for a run which effected the outcome of the game. I don't know if there is a shortage of baseball refs in Chattanooga but the overall quality I have seen this year is below par. I know there are some really good refs in Chattanooga just not enough of them. I am sure it is hard to recruit quality refs but hopefully we can find a way so the kids who work their tails off are not impacted by calls by refs that should not be scheduled for games higher than their abilities.

Last night we played Central, the stands were packed, it was a back and forth game lot of stuff going on. The Umps were very good yes they made some calls that folks did not like but I do think they got it right, they moved into positon to make calls, had comand of the game... the strike zone was very Consistent. The focus of the game was on the players and the game and not the umps. Very well played and umped! The way it should be. See I give credit when it is do. All anybody cares is that the umps knows the rules and controls the game. and be Consistent. Be a pro in your job act like you care, and read the darn rule book. Went to Murfreesboro early and the year and the umps were great. Come on NOOGA umps fix it. You have good umps saw them last night.

Last night we played Central, the stands were packed, it was a back and forth game lot of stuff going on. The Umps were very good yes they made some calls that folks did not like but I do think they got it right, they moved into positon to make calls, had comand of the game... the strike zone was very Consistent. The focus of the game was on the players and the game and not the umps. Very well played and umped! The way it should be. See I give credit when it is do. All anybody cares is that the umps knows the rules and controls the game. and be Consistent. Be a pro in your job act like you care, and read the darn rule book. Went to Murfreesboro early and the year and the umps were great. Come on NOOGA umps fix it. You have good umps saw them last night.

Who you have umpiring last night? Also the game looked to have been a great one to watch!

Edited by skydogg25

Anybody want the names and phone numbers of your local umpire association's director?????????????? They'd love to have you join them!

Too old to join them. But there are folks that foot the bill (fans) and schools, and then theres folks that get the money (umps) Not saying they are all bad. All I was saying is give an effort and know the rules, and we have a few in Nooga that don't. When you have folks in any job, that are there for the check only and really don't care about being a pro about it, your going to have a issue. Don't care if your the President, and street sweeper, car salesman or ump.

OK, we have folks (Blue) who are ticked off we have called them out..... Lets not take a look at what folks are saying lets get deffensive..... Let's not fix the issue let's just say OK you come do it. They (umps) are not volunteering they are getting paid! Heck lets not hold anybody accountable, hows that working in the Federal Gov't? So don't grip about the congress unless you want to be one!

Have no issue with judgement calls, they get most of them correct...... Do have issues when they make no attempt to get in position to make the call, but heck I can even get over that. But the rules of the game? Some of these guys have no idea what the rules are. Had a college coach watching with a college ump at one game they threw there hands up, "He has no idea what the rule is".

Defend it all you want, or work to correct the issue and get better. Now theres an idea, doing work!