PORTLAND PANTHER FOOTBALL 2013

I've been too wrapped up in baseball and we are still in the district tournament, but, anyone been to any of the Spring practices yet? Figured I might as well start a thread, seems like everyone else has made one lol...Good luck to everyone and I pray for an injury free year for all the players.

Edited by SOUTHERNFRIED

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Good job last night in their first spring scrimmage against Macon County. 8 td's to 1. There were no field goals, punts or kick offs, which is typical for this time of year. 2 td were by the defense on int. Portland plays Springfield next week which should be a good game .

Good win tonight over visiting Springfield 4 td to 3. We were up 4-1 and two fumbles led to 2 td. We controlled the ball pretty well on offense and besides the first td Springfield scored, pretty much held them in check rest of the night. Really proud of our kids when we lost Austin Griggs, our starting qb, on our 3rd play to a broken ankle. Last I heard he is still at the hospital so appreciate any prayers on his behalf......Bk, its hard to tell its so early but, our defense appears to be faster than last year, we ran the ball tonight behind some great blocking by our "senior" line and by some up and coming Freshmen(Sophomores in the fall). We ran a total of 6-7 running backs tonight, and they all ran well. It seemed the players felt alot more comfortable in the single wing than we did last year. So offensively we were down our qb (actually anyone in the backfield could be the qb in the single wing, lol) and down another Freshmen rb (Kemper Dixon with a shoulder injury during the baseball season). I was telling one of the Dads whose son ran the ball great tonight, we may not have 1 guy rush for 1500 yds but if we have 6-7 that if they rush for 300-500 a piece, that would be fantastic. Kicking game is up in the air right now, passing game looked good from the backups. All in all our best spring since Ive been following them the last 4 years. Just wished most of the teams in our district were 5A and not 6A, lol going to be rough.

Southerfried, Wishing the young man a speedy and full recovery. Glad to hear things are going well. I was really impressed with your team at the lifting competition in Dickson. There was not any doubt that they have been hitting the weights hard. I think you will have a better team this year. No one better overlook the Panthers. The district will be tough for everyone. This may be the most competitive the district has ever been.

Southerfried, Wishing the young man a speedy and full recovery. Glad to hear things are going well. I was really impressed with your team at the lifting competition in Dickson. There was not any doubt that they have been hitting the weights hard. I think you will have a better team this year. No one better overlook the Panthers. The district will be tough for everyone. This may be the most competitive the district has ever been.

Thanks Coach Bronson has done a fantastic job in the weight room with the kids, I know my son is just a Freshman, weighs right at 150 and he maxed at 225 back in the Spring. Course he quiet the weights during baseball season. Now while he is in therapy for his labrum he cant do any upper body, but thats the way it goes. But yea Coach Bradley has really boosted the program, Ive never seen our players be in this kind of shape. Austin posted on facebook he will be back in 4-6 weeks, love the kids attitude.

I hope your son has a speedy and full recovery. The weight room is paying off for your son and his team and it will really show this fall. It is hard to get the young men to realize how their hard work with weights and conditioning in the spring pays off in the fall. They tend to not really put the necessary time or effort into it. You earn the opportunity to start in the spring and it starts in the weight room. The coaching staff at MJ has done a great job with this and the players have seen the payoff and know what it takes.