monterey blanks celina

walker66

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Congrats to Monterey on beating us tonight......you showed no class doing it. Some of the players showed alot of class, but it was mostly the coaches showing none. I would feel really bad if my kid played on a team where all the fourty year old coaches acted like three year olds. I'm glad our coaches have more sense than that. Celina had a year with many improvements and maybe next year we can build on that. Good luck to Monterey players next week....coaches, break a leg.

Celina Bulldog #90

I agree with bulldawg90...Monterey, as a whole, showed minimal-to-no class, coaches and players both. After the game, I saw several of their players taping papers on our locker-room building, of a quote Coach Atkins had made about our recievers to a newspaper (don't remember it exactly, something about comparing our recievers/backs or somethign against theirs) with the coaches there standing and watching, allowing it to happen. After I had to ask them not to in respect (man, I wish I had caught their numbers), they ended up just putting them in the locker-room they dressed in instead. Very unprofessional, I feel. Futhermore, they had kept several starters in the whole game while our coach was putting in the subs, like me...After the game, Coach had said that Monterey's coach was wanting to score as many points on us as they can (100 if they could, I believe), to embarrass us, on Senior Night, the final home game of CHS, final game of the year...everything, they wanted to ruin us. Fine line between winning and embarrassing on purpose.

I won't say every player and coach was out of control like that, but it's safe to say more than half were in it. Congrats, Monterey...ya got your win, maybe getting some class will be your next goal.

Sounds like sour grapes to me. As a Cat that sat on the Dog side for a better view, those dogs dog their coaches in high volume. Both teams played hard and one team won.

A simple prank, giving back the words that were dished out. The Cats are first class both on and off the field.

Im a starter for monterey and the only reason why our coach kept us in is because he wants us to remember these last few games of the season because he knows that we want all the memories we can get to look back on.. it wasnt because we wanted to make u look bad on senior night.. it did make us angry that u all choose us for ur senior night.. that means that u all think that u could play/beat us.. well we just wanted to show who the better team was.. and one more thing.. u said that ur coach was puttin in subs in the game.. well i was out there all night long and i continued to go up against the same people i was up against in the first quarter in the fouth.. not saying that ur coach didnt sub.. i'm just saying that i didnt see no substitution on your all's behalf... you all played a good game... granted you did get some help from the ref's i feel..but all in all u played a good game and i respect each of u because i know what it takes to give up stuff just so u can go to football practice and all those days in the heat practicing so u could play on friday nights... and from my standpoint you all was a pretty good sportman-like team.. im a senior this year and i hate it that u all lost on ur senior night.. but we wasnt trying to embarass u ..we was just who was better on the feild... and the papers that u saw hangin up.. well they was ur own coaches words about how his team was better than ours.. and we was just leaving him something behind to remind him who the better team was and that maybe he should watch is words.. but we didnt mean no disrespect to the players and im sorry that you all dont get to carry on ur season...

Guest wildcat77

it doesnt matter what you say about the cats. I'm not dissin celina but you all did run your mouths a little before you played us. I think both celina and monterey played a good game and in the end there can only be 1 winner and friday night tha happened to be the cats. All in all both teams played a good game.

who you calling 3 year olds? well then we 3 year olds beat you . SO be careful on how you word things next time.

This 'cat has played in and watched this match up for over 45 years of its over 60 years existance. I remember Celina winning 83-0 with the first team still playing in the last quarter. So much for "running up the score".

Your coach started this by putting remarks in the paper. (Now this is really class). Then a player without Montery's coach's permission put a paper on a door near the locker door. The Monterey Head Coach made copies and put them in the locker of each player. This is called motovation. I read on this web site after the RBS upset of a year ago that the Celina's Coach was going to put the score of the game on the practise equipment. Could this be the same kind of motovation?

Assaulting referees and other teams fans after games is a reputation that Celina has aquired over the past few years. (Everyone makes mistakes) This is caused by a very few people. I say a few because there are so many really great people in Celina. They are not sour losers, bad sports, and have class. You should listen to them.

I really enjoyed the years of Coach Thomas Watson and Coach Richardson. Maybe someday Clay County can come up with some more like them, now there was class!!! Richardson ;)

I'm not going to get into a war of words on here about what was done or said with regard to this game, but what happened after this game WOULD NEVER HAVE HAPPENED ON ANY TEAM I COACH! Sometimes a quote in the paper isn't the full quote that was given. Writers must often condense what I say and this was the case here! What was said was the game plan was to throw the ball... period! This is something we have done all year and I have made some version of the same comment all year. We knew you guys would dominate up front on the line and the only way we were going to win the game was to put "our three or four best skill players down field (in pass routes), and hope our line could give Chase protection to throw the ball." That was a legitimate statement. if you watched the first half. I also gave Monterey plenty of credit! I said the only way they would win would be to run Power football using their big offensive line to give the freshman running lanes and "wearing down" defenses over the course of the game. That was not printed in the paper, but Chad will tell you I said all of that!

Now, as for the actions of a few players and coaches after the game... I did report the incident to the TSSAA officials, and I will be sending a report to the principal and Director of schools (both school systems). I would never allow any player from my team to enter another teams locker room for any reason (before or after a game), much less go in and post printed statements on the wall. My assistant coaches tell me that several Monterey Coaches saw what was happening and did nothing to stop it. As for making it senior night... well that was a stupid comment. Senior night is always the last home football game and this was the FINAL home football game for Celina High School. The school will be replaced next year by Clay County High School!

I have always had a lot of respect for the Monterey Coaches and I have admired what they have done up on the Mountain over the past four to five years, but this is not the actions of good sportsman. As for Celina's past indiscretions, those two incidents were caused by angry fans/parents and had absolutely nothing to do with the players, coaches, or anyone on our staff (past or present). Anyone who knows me or my assistant coach (Teeples) can tell you we do not allow, nor do we tolerate any acts of unsportsmanlike conduct, and we do not put up with it on our team.

People have long memories and I hope this doesn't spill over into basketball and baseball season but this act will not be forgotten anytime soon by these same boys who play the other two major sports. When a team is down by 41 points you don't rub there nose in it! You simply clean up, get on the bus, and go home to prepare for the next game! Life is too short in football to get "hung up" on one small incident, so I will leave my comments to this posting. I have already made my feelings known to their coaching staff and I wish them well next week. Mike Jones is a good TB and he will only get better as time goes on. They were wise to use him as they have all year (running behind two blocking backs in a double TE offense), but it will be interesting to see how they do against a very athletic Boyd B. team who throws and runs the ball better than we do, if they get past South Pittsburg and Gordonsville! Again, I wish them well next week as they represent Region 4-1A.

[Edited by ELA on 11-2-02 4:58P]

Still sounds like sour grapes to me. It was the regular season end for both teams and the emotions were high.

CHS were resorting to all methods necessary, especially pinching the young oaks to rile things up. CHS got called in the fourth for unsportsman-like conduct also. To get all hissy over a few xerox copies is out of the scope of teenagers and is fueled by someone/thing else.

The men on the MHS TEAM (Together Everyone Achieves More) are fine sensible, compassionate, and skilled men.

We WILL see Clay County High next year, get ready.

[Edited by TDL on 11-2-02 8:10P]