Districts 3 & 4 region 2

Ladyramshoop

I agree with the bulk of your post, Hopi.  I am less scared of Jellico after their loss to Sunbright.  Now I am convinced that Coach Jackson is a fine addition to the Blue Devil program, but you can't lose any games your not supposed too, and quite frankly, they should not have been beaten by the Lady Tigers. (I would even think Coach J would agree with me)  Still, they have two games to prove me wrong starting with the first one Monday....so there ya go.  I have also been eyeing the other region and think it is top heavy (Meigs, Grace, and TP), so our district will have to step it up a notch come tournament time.  Let me say too, that I think OS is a very capable team...their schedule will only make them better as they go along.  You have to think Wartburg has a chance in the region in their own gym, but they will have to play 4 strong quarters to knock off some teams.  They are at Oneida tonight.

Kazzy :thumb:  :thumb:

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I agree with the bulk of your post, Hopi.  I am less scared of Jellico after their loss to Sunbright.  Now I am convinced that Coach Jackson is a fine addition to the Blue Devil program, but you can't lose any games your not supposed too, and quite frankly, they should not have been beaten by the Lady Tigers. (I would even think Coach J would agree with me)  Still, they have two games to prove me wrong starting with the first one Monday....so there ya go.  I have also been eyeing the other region and think it is top heavy (Meigs, Grace, and TP), so our district will have to step it up a notch come tournament time.  Let me say too, that I think OS is a very capable team...their schedule will only make them better as they go along.  You have to think Wartburg has a chance in the region in their own gym, but they will have to play 4 strong quarters to knock off some teams.  They are at Oneida tonight.

Kazzy :thumb:  :thumb:

Oneida is deservingly in the drivers seat mid way. They are a really nice team. Oneida seem to have missed the injury bug thus far which is great.

OS is rounding in shape, they have had several injuries before Christmas and all have returned. Still a bit out of shape but it's getting better every day. The injury bug has hit Wartburg as well. Not sure about the other teams . If these three get everyone back and they stay heathy then they could challenge in the tournament.

I agree District and Region at Wartburg (that horse has been beaten to death) but it could be big in these tournaments.

Good luck to all

Edited by Hopi

Lady Indians got it done again.  Wartburg never led that I can remember.  Scoring very balanced and the Indian posts dominated inside.  The parts are coming together nicely.  Newport with 11 assists keeps creating easy scores for teammates.  The posts and wings look ready when the ball arrives.  Wartburg is definitely struggling with that kid out, just lacked the fire power to stay with a hot team.  Jellico up next on Monday, the kids look excited to get back in the gym.  They should be, because Coach West has them starting to buy in....!

Kaz

Not knocking anyone lord knows we have our troubles but the Wartburg team quit playing defense the minute the Hamby kid went down.  She appears to be their leader and I don't see them beating anyone without her.  Their guards make really dumb decisions and honestly their much praised defense over the J. Davis era is awful…. I bet JD is ready to see some new faces in the doghouse…looks like a group that is mailing it in to me.  

Down here we have some good young kids but injuries of our own.  Hope all can get healthy because we can be really competitive if we do.

Well, that went well.... :o .  Jellico lost the fear factor.  Had West stayed with his primary players they would have won by 30 or 40.  As it was, the 18 pont win looks way closer than it actually was last night.  The girls take to the road tonite to hunt down Coalfield.....looking to keep things rolling.

Kazzy

How are things shaping up in the two Districts?  Can't get much chatter like I used too, heck feels like I'm confined to solitary. :blush:  Now that we have gone through the bulk of district play, are there any players that are starting to pop up on the radar, that we didn't see in the pre-season?  I guess I'm just too proud of the girls team up here, it has been a while since they have figured promeniently in the District picture and it is nice to see them forging a new identity.  They buzzsawed through their last three ball games after the loss to Clarkrange and they are really playing well.  Heard Meigs is still rolling and Grace is too.  Who are the POY's and COY.....?  Maybe I should hope it snows so everyone doesn't get to watch and talk about the games.....!  :thumb:

Kazanity

In District 4......based on production alone Coach West SHOULD be Coach of the Year.  However, knowing how political the votes are....any of the Morgan Co. coaches will be considered even though West has a two game lead on the field with 5 games remaining.

All-District and Player of the Year is going to be a little sketchy to draw up because again it is often reflective of majority vote that swings things. (Brynae Laxton was NOT Player of the Year as a Junior I believe)(that is just unbelievable)  I wouldn't venture a guess for Player of the Year, but nothing would surprise me unless the player wasn't on one of the top two teams.  Here are some worthy All-District Players:

OS - Both Griffith Twins should make it.  I really am unsure of another player that has been that consistent for them.

Wartburg - Hamby is a steady player and the other post has All-District Skills too

Jellico - Big guard that handles the point and was fairly impressed with the post last night. (Taylor and Beams)

Oakdale - Point guard #3 I think.....very solid

Sunbright - hard to say they have shown anyone that is this conversation

Coalfield - first look tonight...would expect them to have a couple of solid guards

Oneida - my team.....several worthy players to consider.  In respect to all of the kids, I'll just let the results be the best indication.  BUT I think they have at least 3 on the district team

Kazzy

Well Kaz you got your wish about the snow. I agree with you about All-District and Player of the Year. It is really going to be interesting to see how it plays out. Especially with the Oneida girls.

I think the Carson girl at Oneida has really stepped up. Especially the last 2 games. Do you know who is leading in scoring?

My guess is Stephens is probably the leading scorer.  Interestingly enough, they probably have 6 or 7 different girls that can legitimately lead them in scoring each night.  The point guard (Newport) is averaging better than 5 or 6 assists per game, she does a real good job of setting the table for the team.  Carson is just a competitor.....she is a great player to have on your team and your right, she has had several good games recently.  I think you take a player off the team and they would really struggle THAT would be the kid I'd take as POY.  I think that is a three horse race, and I'm not saying who the horses are either.  But if that award is outside of the three I'm thinking about then they won't have gotten it right.

Kazzanity :thumb:

Still rolling....as is OS I see.  Jellico offered some resistance but the girls are keeping the wheels turning.  Morgan heated up last night and Carson was a real terror defensively.  Newport had 8 assists.  Stephens and Williams played well around the rim.  Like I said, there are a lot of parts here that can be hard to stop.  The key is keeping them working as one, and I didn't even mention Caldwell, Thomas, and Thompson as they continue to play hard and fill in any holes most nights.  I think each of these kids has led us in scoring at least once this year....I could be wrong, but that is a lot of firepower. 

Kazz

At 22-2....your not going to find many arguments that they certainly have a very good team.  The only teams they have played that we have are Oliver Springs and Rockwood.  Of course comparing scores is a pretty mute point imo because there are too many factors that play into doing so. (home/away, refs, team played well)  Meigs and Oneida have both won those head to head meetings....I think the way our team has been playing as of late that we are a capable opponent on Meigs radar.  Lot of basketball left to play, but these two could meet somewhere in the region and if it is before the final....one of them will be going home.  I just think there are a lot of roadblocks out there.  Look at Grainger last year, they were 30-1 and lost in the region semis.  Just can't have an off night or it could be your season.  Good luck to all teams.....and don't be shy, I'm holding this whole thread up by myself.....company to discuss teams is welcome! :thumb:

Kazz