BA @ Father Ryan 9/6/2013

Custer

This game tells us much more about the Irish than about BA. The Irish had plenty of opportunities to congratulate themselves on a good effort and just roll over, but they refused to do so. They showed incredible heart and played as a team. At the same time, I did not see BA give up at all. I was impressed by their effort all the way to the end. As always, their skill players can line up with any team in the state, but their line play is once again suspect, despite being talented (I did not see Barnett playing, which hurt them - hope he's ok). They had better straighten the line play out before the Ensworth game; one thing you can always count on is that the Ensworth line on both sides of the ball will play as a unit to the best of their ability. In my opinion, Ensworth's incredible offensive success has been and is directly attributable to the outstanding performance, week-in and week-out, of their O line.

Wes, the early season loss is not the issue. Outside of Baylor in 2012, to the best of my knowledge, BA has not had a come from behind win in ___________--you fill in the blank. Great programs (and I still consider BA one) find a way to get it done in the big games, or when the deck is stacked against them. BA seems to fold more times than not in recent memory when the game's on the line. Last year's semi-final game comes to mind. Ensworth from 2010 (up 19-3 deep in 3rd) and lose on games final play is another. My thoughts are just a general "gut" feeling and probably written out of frustration, but I stand by them.

BA - McCallie 2012, BA was down.   And it was Baylor - Ba in 2011, not 2012

BA - McCallie 2012, BA was down. And it was Baylor - Ba in 2011, not 2012

You're right, it was '11 against Baylor. The McCallie fact is not accurate per the Times Free Press article on the game last year:

"The teams traded scores throughout the first half. Tied at 14 at the end of the first quarter, Brentwood Academy scored with 30 seconds left in the half to make it 35-28, so both teams could catch their breath at intermission.

Coming out, BA scored 14 in the third quarter to put some distance between the teams. McCallie fought on and scored a touchdown with 2:26 remaining in the fourth to cut the lead to 56-42, but time was not on its side. BA finished off the game's scoring with a TD as the game rolled to a close.

Usman scored three touchdowns, while Trotter accounted for two."

This game tells us much more about the Irish than about BA. The Irish had plenty of opportunities to congratulate themselves on a good effort and just roll over, but they refused to do so. They showed incredible heart and played as a team. At the same time, I did not see BA give up at all. I was impressed by their effort all the way to the end. As always, their skill players can line up with any team in the state, but their line play is once again suspect, despite being talented (I did not see Barnett playing, which hurt them - hope he's ok). They had better straighten the line play out before the Ensworth game; one thing you can always count on is that the Ensworth line on both sides of the ball will play as a unit to the best of their ability. In my opinion, Ensworth's incredible offensive success has been and is directly attributable to the outstanding performance, week-in and week-out, of their O line.

Good analysis. Barnett should be back next week. His absence did seem to make a difference in BA's push on the defensive front and in short yardage offensively. It's so hard to replace a talent of his magnitude.

I went back and watched the game again online. Father Ryan for the most part came to play. On paper they do not match up so well with BA but their effort and game plan was really good. BA missed a lot of tackles and many of Ryan's big plays were made off of miss reads by the Eagles defense. BAs athletic advantage is simply not enough to negate an offensive scheme that is just hard to defend against. BA has the athletes to stop it providing the team stays disciplined and they all do their job. Father Ryan also ( for the most part ) controlled the line at least for a while. Not having Derrick and Brandon in the lineup also hurt BA. I don't care who you put on Barnett he is going to make plays both on offense and defense. In my mind Father Ryan just outplayed BA in the first half and that was the difference maker. I was shocked more so by the fact that BA didn't score than I was by the 14 points put up by Ryan. I thought the BA coaches made good adjustments at half but it was just not quite enough. No need to nit pick one game even though this was a very big win for Father Ryan. I rode the bus back to the parking lot with my BA shirt on and had nothing but nice conversations with the folks at FR.

• Upvote 1

I went back and watched the game again online. Father Ryan for the most part came to play. On paper they do not match up so well with BA but their effort and game plan was really good. BA missed a lot of tackles and many of Ryan's big plays were made off of miss reads by the Eagles defense. BAs athletic advantage is simply not enough to negate an offensive scheme that is just hard to defend against. BA has the athletes to stop it providing the team stays disciplined and they all do their job. Father Ryan also ( for the most part ) controlled the line at least for a while. Not having Derrick and Brandon in the lineup also hurt BA. I don't care who you put on Barnett he is going to make plays both on offense and defense. In my mind Father Ryan just outplayed BA in the first half and that was the difference maker. I was shocked more so by the fact that BA didn't score than I was by the 14 points put up by Ryan. I thought the BA coaches made good adjustments at half but it was just not quite enough. No need to nit pick one game even though this was a very big win for Father Ryan. I rode the bus back to the parking lot with my BA shirt on and had nothing but nice conversations with the folks at FR.

The bad news for BA,  i hear barnett might be iffy for the upcoming future.  2 injuries and one is chronic. He has not been practicing.  He might have made a big diff but a team needs to be a team. Regardless, hats off to FR - played a great game.