Henry County @ Rossview

SEC1rules

You guys - Drew, Facts, Prophet - are old enough to know when someone is simple pulling your chain, like howdoitknow2.

Still 6 games to be played, and HC has been beat before by teams that they shouldn't have (Clarksville a few years back). One game at a time.

BTW Prophet, how would you compare this years Patriots Band with the Fairley Band of 2006?

Especially about the percussion section.

The HCHS band is mediocre at best. Fairley would blow them off the field. HC's show is based around a "Chill" theme... not sure what that is?! And the new uni's are not even school colors.... what's with adding black to uniforms these days? (band's or player's?!). HC should stick with "Big RED" all around... no black.... yuck! BTW, HC's best performance Friday night was the hip song they played on the sidelines at the end of the half - better than the entire field show!

Sorry... I digress... back to football. HC should dominate Friday night!

Is Odom out this week after being ejected Friday night?

The HCHS band is mediocre at best. Fairley would blow them off the field. HC's show is based around a "Chill" theme... not sure what that is?! And the new uni's are not even school colors.... what's with adding black to uniforms these days? (band's or player's?!). HC should stick with "Big RED" all around... no black.... yuck! BTW, HC's best performance Friday night was the hip song they played on the sidelines at the end of the half - better than the entire field show!

In the marching world it allows a base-neutral so that the rest of the uniform can be adapted for the theme of show.  There are some HS bands (with million dollar budgets, see Indiana, Texas) that add a different jacket or performance wear onto the uniform just for the show and have different uniforms for football games.

Edited by chaos001

So that I can expand my repository of Facts, could your give just a brief description of the differences between "corps style" and "show" as it refers to bands?

Corps style means that there is a lineage traced back to military drum and bugle corps that promoted musical excellence and marching precision.   That's morphed over the years with the influence of college marching bands, music education programs, modern dance, Winter Guard International (WGI), and Drum Corps International (DCI).  You may have read in the paper where two of the Marching Patriots performed in the Open Class division of DCI this year.  

Here's an example from this season's DCI World Class champion's Finals encore (keep in mind that these are kids less than 22 y/o...skip to 2:30 to see what I'm talking about in regards to musical excellence):

http://youtu.be/AJ8fn-wXCqY

Show bands have their roots in jazz tradition and southern brass bands...more for local events, celebrations, etc.  It's more along the lines of entertainment rather than musical/marching excellence.  

These groups are both musical/marching groups, but of totally different genres. 

Corps style means that there is a lineage traced back to military drum and bugle corps that promoted musical excellence and marching precision.   That's morphed over the years with the influence of college marching bands, music education programs, modern dance, Winter Guard International (WGI), and Drum Corps International (DCI).  You may have read in the paper where two of the Marching Patriots performed in the Open Class division of DCI this year.  

Here's an example from this season's DCI World Class champion's Finals encore (keep in mind that these are kids less than 22 y/o...skip to 2:30 to see what I'm talking about in regards to musical excellence):

http://youtu.be/AJ8fn-wXCqY

Show bands have their roots in jazz tradition and southern brass bands...more for local events, celebrations, etc.  It's more along the lines of entertainment rather than musical/marching excellence.  

These groups are both musical/marching groups, but of totally different genres. 

And THIS, my friends, is how to properly answer a question.

• Upvote 1

Rossview is much improved, yes. But putting 56 points on HC is not going to happen. If Ridgeway can't muster more than 14 points until 15 seconds to go in the game, then you should know that amount of speed doesn't matter. I really do hope that Rossview plays 15 games this year. This should be a good game though.

Henry County doesn't stand a chance.  Rossview is playing 15 games and will be playing for the Class 6A State Championship this December.  There isn't a 5A team in the state that's on their level.  They've already spanked Hillsboro, McGavock, and Stratford.  Henry County doesn't have the same type of speed as do any of those Metro schools. 

Rossview: 56

Henry County:  14 (if they're lucky)

This post is crazy.  We at rossview have nothing but respect for Henry County.  You have always represented your community with class. 

+1

Henry County doesn't stand a chance.  Rossview is playing 15 games and will be playing for the Class 6A State Championship this December.  There isn't a 5A team in the state that's on their level.  They've already spanked Hillsboro, McGavock, and Stratford.  Henry County doesn't have the same type of speed as do any of those Metro schools. 

Rossview:  56

Henry County:  14 (if they're lucky)

Hillsboro, McGavok, and Stratord ???  That's got to be the funniest post I've seen this year.  Those squads are all down.  How can you put those wins up as justifications? 

HC wins this one by 3 TD's.  Big strong line on both sides of the ball.  Game over by 2nd half.

Hillsboro, McGavok, and Stratord ???  That's got to be the funniest post I've seen this year.  Those squads are all down.  How can you put those wins up as justifications? 

HC wins this one by 3 TD's.  Big strong line on both sides of the ball.  Game over by 2nd half.

These squads are down because they were put down just like HC will be this Friday...Rossview will dominate the Patriots and finally get the respect they deserve.

Ok, maybe not, but I did have you going for a second.

I agree with the Henry faithful. Rossview is much improved, but they won a shootout against a Clarksville team that has a QB that can't throw the ball effeciently to save their life and a Coach who has lost control. I expect Rossview to hang in there through 3 potentially and then HC will dominate the 4th winning by 14.

I agree with the Henry faithful. Rossview is much improved, but they won a shootout against a Clarksville team that has a QB that can't throw the ball effeciently to save their life and a Coach who has lost control. I expect Rossview to hang in there through 3 potentially and then HC will dominate the 4th winning by 14.

Is Rossview's defense much improved? Seems like a shootout would mean that the D is suspect. That is Henry County's strong point.