Umpires, yes umpires

formerbobcat

Yeah, umpires are making a fortune.

Compared to the results they are producing, meaning wins/losses, some coaches are overpaid, too.

Both umpires and coaches know what they're going to be paid before they take the job. If they're not happy with their money, they shouldn't take the job.

Edited by glock22

• 3 weeks later...

TSSAA will never up the training because they would be responsible for providing it and would lose money. It's all about the Benjiman's with them. Go check out there remodeled headquarters and see for yourself. Good umpires have bad games, bad umpires have good games, good umpires have brain farts as we all do from time to time. You can train someone till their blue in the face and they will still make mistakes. Up the training requirements and each association will be sending one umpire to some of your games. I'd say about half of the umpires out there aren't into that much to spend even more time away from work, family, etc..

As for umpires being paid too much, that's funny. I see a lot of programs with nicer fields than a lot of small colleges. Teams have 3 or even 4 uniforms, equipment bags, warm up uniforms, sound systems, on and on and on. Most are not hurting for money at all. Umpires take time off from work, drive long distances, work a 2 1/2 hour varsity and sometimes longer, so $65 sounds about right, if not a little low.

TSSAA will never up the training because they would be responsible for providing it and would lose money. It's all about the Benjiman's with them. Go check out there remodeled headquarters and see for yourself. Good umpires have bad games, bad umpires have good games, good umpires have brain farts as we all do from time to time. You can train someone till their blue in the face and they will still make mistakes. Up the training requirements and each association will be sending one umpire to some of your games. I'd say about half of the umpires out there aren't into that much to spend even more time away from work, family, etc..

As for umpires being paid too much, that's funny. I see a lot of programs with nicer fields than a lot of small colleges. Teams have 3 or even 4 uniforms, equipment bags, warm up uniforms, sound systems, on and on and on. Most are not hurting for money at all. Umpires take time off from work, drive long distances, work a 2 1/2 hour varsity and sometimes longer, so $65 sounds about right, if not a little low.

Go ask your AA and A coaches that make less than $2000 a year if an umpires get paid too much. I'm not saying that coaches are hurting for money because all coaches know what their supplement (or lack there of) is up front.  Coaches spend their time raising money for their field and program, not to line their pockets.  Coaches aren't supposed to take money from their booster clubs anyway. An umpire makes $30 an hour give or take.  Dedicated coaches are probably making less than $.50 an hour by the time you factor in weight training, practice, and games.  Coaches and umpires are alike, they do it because they love it, not because they are getting rich doing it. 

• 4 weeks later...

Most umpires do work hard out there.  I'm more than happy to give credit where credit is due.  They show up early, they look sharp, keep control of the game and know the rules.  That's all any coach, player or fan can ask for.

That being said, it's the umpires who show up looking like a bag of rubber clown noses that make the rest look bad.  Unfortunately, those are the umpires that are remembered.  Here are a few things that IMHO "make or break" an umpire.

Appearance - Look official and you are considered "official".  That means wear a uniform that is clean and FITS.  Be clean shaven/well kept and have a smile on your face.  Remember, you're being paid for the best seat in the house.

Professionalism - Be courteous and respectful to coaches.  Even if they are not in return.  This includes not making any comment come across as condescending. 

Intelligence - Know the rules.  So often are there times when the umpire simply doesn't know the rule.  This simple fact is the quintessential difference between a good and bad umpire. 

Hustle - Be in the proper position to make the call.  No one expects you to be able to run a 4.3.  At the same time, there should be a very visible effort to be in the correct location to make the correct call.  You can be in position, miss a call and no one will say a word.  Be out of position and make the correct call and the line for complaints will form on your right. 

Etiquette - Everyone knows that there is an etiquette to "arguing" a call.  Don't get "butt hurt" if someone goes jogging by between innings (without giving the appearance that they are talking to you or saying anything for that matter) and says something (that only you can hear) about a call.  As long as it's a respectful comment, it's not personal.  It's actually a "professional" way of saying their piece without trying to "show you up". 

Understand these things few things and you will go a long way towards being treated a lot better in the high school baseball world.  Don't, and you will all continue to have tomatoes thrown at you. 

Most umpires do work hard out there.  I'm more than happy to give credit where credit is due.  They show up early, they look sharp, keep control of the game and know the rules.  That's all any coach, player or fan can ask for.

So, what you're saying is that we just need to work on the few umpires?  Since, most of the umpires are fine.

I was trying to give umpires the benefit of the doubt by saying "most", implying "the majority".  Allow me to be even more clear by defining "majority", in small words so you can understand, as being 51% or more. 

Make "cute" comments concerning semantics all you like, but the bottom line is something has got to be done about the high school umpires calling in East TN. 

Better/New supervision. Quality control.  Better training.  After-game critiques by other umpires.  Appearance Standards or "D" all of the above. Heck, I'd be happy with a comment box.   

I would umpire, and have, but coaching takes up too much of my time and there's something about a conflict of interest.  Once the season is overwith, I usually go back to umpiring travel baseball but this year I am deploying for 6 months. 

If you'd like, I will try to get my APO put up on here so you can send me some care packages.

Edited by IYellAtUmps