The William Blount Governors host the Jefferson County Patriots

Governm

A couple things I was glad to see Friday night, Daniels finally through a couple balls over the middle and the defense stepped up when needed. The offensive line had gotten some praise for the first 2 games but lately have not been moving the defense like they used to. Thank goodness most of our penalties were 5 yarders. Even being mostly 5yds we still racked up about 100 yards in penalties. Cant beat JeffCo like that. JeffCo has a couple good playmakers and their running back is very athletic. Coach Ridge cant hide Otis anymore and the defenses are keying on him. Don't be surprised if you don't see some new looks, plays, and set-ups on offense. Daniels has to send more balls down field and over the middle to set up the swing pass and those passes to the flats.  

Govfan, now Jake, Governers91 and I have become really good friends here as of late but you and I still have some work to do to solidify our freindship. I am not sure how you meant the bold part but I took as you saying that he is some sort of crazy awesome secret weapon. If so, lets remember that he is like the 9th or 10th best back in your conference (3 from Maryville, 2 from West, 2 from Bearden, 1 from LC, and 1 from HVA??) Not to mention he was the 3rd best back on the field when WB played East (Thompson and Logan) and he will be the 3rd best back on the field against JC (Jones and Stiles). Finally, he transferred because he was the 3rd best back at SC. Now if you are saying he is the best WB has, well then you are correct, he is all WB has.

Also, didn't know if anybody knew but we were down like 4-5 starters Friday night. Starting center was out (operation), starting cornerback, starting defensive end quit (heard it was family related), and a couple injury reports I wont mention on here. I say all that not for excuses but our fans know about our strength and experience depth and we are getting ready to start the really tough half of the season. The back-ups really need to step up and realize its a privilege to be on the field under the Friday night lights and need to leave it ALL on the field. You guys need to get fired up and "Lets Bring It". Now lets go play some FOOTBALL!!!! C%@p, its only Monday.

GovFan - you make it sound as though the "back-ups" did not step up Friday Night.  Why do you think that?  Just curious.  The defense did great. so who was the weak link or position that did not "Step-up".  Thanks

Anyone else have anythoughts on this subject? 

Edited by 2SportsFan

GovFan - you make it sound as though the "back-ups" did not step up Friday Night.  Why do you think that?  Just curious.  The defense did great. so who was the weak link or position that did not "Step-up".  Thanks

Anyone else have anythoughts on this subject? 

Defensively they did step up. Offensively I saw some confusion on blocking assignments and some "one and done" blocking. The center was a back up and didn't do bad but needs work. He hiked well but being thrown into that position at the last minute (starting center went to hospital) he seemed confused about his blocking assignments. Its a tough job and a thankless position. He has to start the play and block till the end. I have always believed that the center has the most important job on the field. I don't care how good of QB, RB, or WR's you have, if you don't have a good snap they mean nothing. The back ups didn't do a bad job but as we get into the tougher part of the schedule, playing like we did against Heritage wont put a w on the board. Sorry if I made it sound like I was picking on the back ups, just trying to get them fired up. In reality, the starters also need to step up. I hate penalties and starters and back ups had them Friday night. 3 games with 100+yds of penalties needs to be cleaned up. If 150+ rushing yds pg and 10+ ypcarry equals a 3rd rate running back then we are very far apart on what you think a good running back is. Truth is, if we cant throw the ball any better than we have been then the running game is all we have. Some teams have already taken notice and are putting 8 in the box to stop it and gone to man coverage on the outside.  

Make no mistake, I am not picking on the center because of inabilities, he just lacks some experience. I saw some "one and done" and missed blocks by the rest of the front line. I saw some 2 on 1 blocking and the LB would blaze right past them, untouched, making a TFL. Doing their homework and film study could help these issues.

Edited by GovFan

His old man probably knew better than to run with the football.

I wasn't there as I had prior obligations, but he told me he got hurt on defense.  I'm not even sure what a hyperextension is, but I think it was more bruise than anything else.  He had surgery on knee a little over a year ago to remove tumor, and the hit was right on the area he had surgery.  

Edited by jake

Just about anyone can rush for 150+ yards against the compitition you have faced. Trust me, I know how bad the East defense is and they have been the best defense you have faced by far.  If you can only score 7 points against Heritage and do not have like 10 offensive starters out, you better enjoy the win because it will be your last.  I am not being jerk (well okay maybe a little) but the remainder of your schedule is not looking favorably. LC is down and Bearden is struggling (not sure why) but Maryville is well Maryville, West is very fast, Bearden is still talented, JC is talented, and I do not think Farragut will sleep walk into this years game. However, If the RB has an average of 150+ yards rushing at the end of the season, I will eat crow (Lord knows I have done it before).  Govfan, I see our friendship building and soon we too will be best buds like Jake and Governers91.