Science Hill versus Brentwood Academy

baylorbigdog1976

You guys were burned again on big plays and up front but BA's defense was stout ..Who knows with a healthy SH team but I imagine it would have made little difference overall. You guys have great fans and a nice school ... Was hoping for a better game. You guys did look a little blah to me ... Maybe the injuries and early turnovers took yr wind out

Congrats to Brentwood Academy!

My honest opinion . . . I didn't see any fire or heart from Science Hill. I don't think BA was that good nor do I think SH was that bad. It was a frustrating game to watch. I hope something was learned in this game.

I do have a burning question (that I have had for a couple of years) ... Does SH need help with coaching on defense or is it just me??

Edited by baylorbigdog1976

You guys were burned again on big plays and up front but BA's defense was stout ..Who knows with a healthy SH team but I imagine it would have made little difference overall. You guys have great fans and a nice school ... Was hoping for a better game. You guys did look a little blah to me ... Maybe the injuries and early turnovers took yr wind out

Typically a balanced attack with running and passing. I don't know what was wrong with SH tonight.

I was at the game and to me SH looked pretty good until the quarterback went down.. Yes they gave up the first score but bounced back .. Just seemed like the air went out after so many down players .. I have never seen so many ref time outs in a game for injuries. You could see the science hill players throw up their hands after the 3rd one.. I am sure that didn't help. You lose 5 or 6 players and I don't care who you are it will effect the game. BA played well also but I know SH is better than the score shows

Typically a balanced attack with running and passing. I don't know what was wrong with SH tonight.

As soon as McGue went out the game was over for SH. Hate to say that but it's the truth. It's like the Toppers simply gave up after he went down. They had a nice little drive going and then he goes down and it was almost like the SH players just didn't care at that point. Congratulations to BA though. Good team.

Here are the injuries to the Toppers heading into next week.

QB Malik McGue-Ankle Sprain/Bruise(Went out in 1st Quarter)

WR/CB Mikey White-He didn't even play vs BA. He injured his hand in warmups and will have surgery today.

C Corey Johnson-Knee(Went out in 3rd Quarter)

RB Chance Pierce-Kneecap(Went out in 3rd Quarter)

WR Isaac Story-Knee/Ankle Sprain(Went out in 3rd Quarter)

Edited by AlumnI01

I watched the entire game along with a few buddies.  We had it on a smart TV via the website BA had.  I will say up front that I went to DB, one of my buddies is from SH, another from Greeneville, and one from here (Nashville).  What we all saw was a team in BA that looked like freshman in college beating the heck out of a high school team in every aspect.   Even with McGue, BA jumped out and dominated.  Mcgue maybe could have accounted for 1 score late in the game against 2nd string.  I saw SH offense playing um... how else do you put it ....scared.  People act like it is such a strange thing that so many players dropped like flies for SH, but there is a reason....and it was because BA was knocking the heck out of people.  SH did not mysteriously have record numbers of injuries, and no the QB would not have made a difference. 6 of 8 writers picked SH to win and many thought SH would win by more than one score.  I live in Nashville, I love upper east TN, but in general and epcially the private schools football is on another level.  BA was 2-3 coming in tonight.  And to show I am not a DB homer, I will say that probably the same thing would have happened to DB this year (though DB would score twice, ha ha kidding).  The perception of how good team a good team in upper east TN versus a private or even an above average public school is, is never quite understood by 95% of the locals.  This is another reason that state polls often put DB and Science Hill too high.  Greeneville is a smaller school and they have been an exception.  The best big school teams out of upper east TN were DB in 98, 2000, and 2002.  THey beat a nationally ranked MBA at MBA and lost to teams in the semis by a close score that went on to win it all.  The tri-cities right now is way down compared to middle TN.  THe reasons why, will net you many answers.  Myself, I see bigger and faster athletes arounf middle TN.  I don't know why, it is just the way it is.  BA was private and can entice the best athletes to come there, but public schools around here are generally bigger and stronger as well.  Some say middle has better coaching, or that the kids attend more camps....I don't know.   And before you say Maryville or Greeneville, I am speaking of the tri-cities only. And TN high was like almost 40 years ago, so zip it. And all of the other schools around the tri-cities that like to say DB has a short playoff life, the reason is because DB has to go outside of the local area sometimes in the first round.  No school in the tri cities has more wins than DB against schools from outside the tri cities. I have done the reseasrch.  Oh your school won two rounds and you played 2 schools from around here?  Congrats, it means nothing.  Our score board should be how many wins the tri cities has versus the rest of the state. 

I watched the entire game along with a few buddies.  We had it on a smart TV via the website BA had.  I will say up front that I went to DB, one of my buddies is from SH, another from Greeneville, and one from here (Nashville).  What we all saw was a team in BA that looked like freshman in college beating the heck out of a high school team in every aspect.   Even with McGue, BA jumped out and dominated.  Mcgue maybe could have accounted for 1 score late in the game against 2nd string.  I saw SH offense playing um...  

I can't disagree . . . I think you're right, bud!

You have to agree with most of what Bud says. I've never thought it was the athletes though. I think its 100% coaching. Overall we've had very weak coaching in upper east tn. for ever. They don't pay enough to attract good coaches up here and the school boards don't know enough to hire a good coach even if they did pay well. Take Greeneville for example. They've got a "money man" that put up the bucks to hire a good coach (and im sure he had the final word on the hire, not the school board). Anybody notice a difference in Greeneville since the change? Maryville, not in upper east tn. but pretty darn close rarely has players that go D1 but are in the state finals every year. I don't think the had a single player that went D1 last year and they played for the state championship. It's coaching. There are no private schools up here but I bet if there were and they recruited the best athletes from the area and they had a good well payed coach that team could beat anybody in the state on a regular basis. You can't forget the fact that BA is a private school and they do recruit players. But even at that Science Hill should of made a better showing than they did. I don't want to make it sound like I don't like Carter as a person, I don't really know him but Im sure he's a good man. He's just not a good enough coach to ever take Science Hill to being a contender for a state championship. Science Hill had a chance to hire a coach that would of done that but their AD and school board passed him over. Theres your problem.

You have to agree with most of what Bud says. I've never thought it was the athletes though. I think its 100% coaching. Overall we've had very weak coaching in upper east tn. for ever. They don't pay enough to attract good coaches up here and the school boards don't know enough to hire a good coach even if they did pay well. Take Greeneville for example. They've got a "money man" that put up the bucks to hire a good coach (and im sure he had the final word on the hire, not the school board). Anybody notice a difference in Greeneville since the change? Maryville, not in upper east tn. but pretty darn close rarely has players that go D1 but are in the state finals every year. I don't think the had a single player that went D1 last year and they played for the state championship. It's coaching. There are no private schools up here but I bet if there were and they recruited the best athletes from the area and they had a good well payed coach that team could beat anybody in the state on a regular basis. You can't forget the fact that BA is a private school and they do recruit players. But even at that Science Hill should of made a better showing than they did. I don't want to make it sound like I don't like Carter as a person, I don't really know him but Im sure he's a good man. He's just not a good enough coach to ever take Science Hill to being a contender for a state championship. Science Hill had a chance to hire a coach that would of done that but their AD and school board passed him over. Theres your problem.

you sir are a true #### bashing  greeneville and the head coach position - there was no money man that paid for his installment at GHS he was the asst. when the former coach was dismissed for some internal issues - coach ballard is a good man with his family rooted here in greene county he is just continuing what the former coach started :; now your bashing stacey carter you all were praising him as the savior for SH football but now with a couple of losses your ready to throw him to the wolves , though i do not know the man he must have been a pretty good coach while at SS he sure had our number for a few years , but Karma is a funny thing you all were sky high after this dismemberment of crockett 90-21  but after you have faced reality and got your buts waxed twice the latest 45-0  YOU HAVE BEEN BROUGHT BACK TO EARTH   whos laughing now~~~~ David Crockett  Enjoy it cause karma is a funny thing!

It's the athletes.  Anybody who says anything different has never been out of NE Tennessee to see any athletic event.  I live in NE Tennessee and I love football, but Western NC, SW VA, and NE Tennessee is the armpit of high school football in the South.  There's a reason that all of your division I talent in the state comes out of Nashville and Memphis, and everywhere in between.  

Maryville, not in upper east tn. but pretty darn close rarely has players that go D1 but are in the state finals every year. I don't think the had a single player that went D1 last year and they played for the state championship.

Didn't the QB go to Vanderbilt?  Or was that from 2 years ago?

OK - Robinette is a redshirt freshman at Vandy - answered my own ?....

Edited by owlbooster

It's the athletes.  Anybody who says anything different has never been out of NE Tennessee to see any athletic event.  I live in NE Tennessee and I love football, but Western NC, SW VA, and NE Tennessee is the armpit of high school football in the South.  There's a reason that all of your division I talent in the state comes out of Nashville and Memphis, and everywhere in between.  

I have to agree with BigPoppaPump that the average player talent is better in the areas with larger cities, ie Memphis and Nashville.  There have been and always will be exceptions (Witten, Phillips, Sensabaugh, etc.)  But I wouldnt call NE Tennessee the armpit!  There are a great deal of kids who go on to play college football and earn their degrees that are from NE TN.  Sure there are less Div 1 players in NET but there are many who go on to play at other levels.  I for one would rather have my kid playing at a Carson-Newman, an Appy State, or a VMI and leaving with a real degree than to play four years at a Div 1 and maybe graduate with an easy degree that does nothing for them to get a job. 

With that being said, I know coaches in other areas of TN are better in one sense: Many schools in other areas have a coach(es) that is primarily assigned to helping players obtain scholorships at the level of their ability, to promote and make contacts with colleges.  When I lived in middle TN and other areas of the country (N Alabama for example) the high schools had a coach that, that was all he did.  He worked with film and on the phone, getting visits with schools and getting kids to the next level.  I'd bet, outside of G Clark, very little time and effort is put in by the coaches in NET to promote these kids to colleges.