Meigs County Football - where did it go?

anothertiger

It's the head coaches responsibility to be able to assess what the team needs from his position on down.  If your team doesn't have the atheletes to run the spread option, find something that fits your tallent.  The offensive coordiantor shouldn't be so narrow minded to think that just because he likes the offense, he can run it no matter what.  Especially without the personnel needed.  There have been too many coaches that have fell in this hole.  The teams that Meigs had in the 90's were loaded with tallent.  They had the size, they had the power (The Meadows boys), the speed (Tyrone), so they could run the wing T to perfection.  Cleveland of the 90's could run whatever they wanted, Tellico had that massive O-line in the early 90's, that is why they could run the Single Wing (or Notre Dame box, whichever you want to call it), Marion County had Eric Westmoreland....  I could go on and on.  But the problem each of these teams saw is that when the tallent left, the head coaches weren't flexible, and because they couldn't adapt to what they did have, those coaches have been sent packing or retired under less than fortunate circumstances. apsugovs7 said that UT doesn't have the tallent.  The reason for that, TN hasn't had a system in place that fit what they did have and haven't had any success.  You can say kids don't have heart, but if they don't have something to be excited about and something that they CAN EXECUTE, something they can run and see success from, they wish they were somewhere else or go somewhere else.   A change needs to be made.  The question is, will it be the head coach or will he let it drag on and force the principal to make one?  Let's hope it doesn't go that far.  There is too much tradition at Meigs County.  I hope it's the Head Coach that makes it and soon.  Changing an offense isn't as bad in highschool as it is at any other level.  Blocking stays the same for linemen.  Backs can learn formations pretty quick. 

Amen brother! Preach it!!  Finally someone who has a clue about what they are talking about.  The issue here is....does the current coaches have the knowledge and ability to make the necessary changes even if they wanted to.  I do not believe they know how.  Great guys but they honestly have no idea how to fix any of the problems.  It has been 5 years without a winning season.  The principal's son is the quarter back.  You would think he would want to fix the problem.  They are grasping at straws, and it makes me sick for the kids.  They deserve better!

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That's what happens when you practice 2 days a week, tues and thurs, I don't count Mon  because the team has to run pretty much run all afternoon according the points scored by the opposition. Is this how you make a team better...by running? Or do the coaches not have any other kind of answer. I think some of the blame goes out to all the Meigs county fans that signed a petition to forcefully get in the current coaching staff. Hows that petition working for you now? Meigs county used to be one of the toughest teams to beat in the area. I foresee an mass exodus of football players leaving the program. Better make a change fast or Meigs might not have enough kids to have a football program. I see no wins in the furture. I wish the best for the program. Something needs to be done and done NOW! any arguments? None for me, the scoreboard proclaims the truth. Can you handle the truth? Again best wishes for the program, may they be competitive SOON. If you have any suggestions please help this team.

I could not agree more!!!! Spread the word we need help.  Those boys deserve more.  It just is not fair.  Fast change needs to take place.  Meigs needs a coaching staff like 1994 had.  They deserve that and the fans desire that. 

I'm sure the coaches know more than you parents and good ole boys. Any quality coach knows once you commit to a system then you see it through. Only idiots think you can Change a whole offense or defense in a week. Either get behind your coach and team or don't go to the games,don't listen to on the radio!

Ha ha!  You sound like one of the coaches.  Maybe they should have looked at a change after they had two loosing seasons in a row.  Change would have been effective in the Spring of this year but no they keep doing the same ole thing.  If it didn't work the first two years then why would they think it would work again this year.  We can not run a spread, linebackers do not know how to be linebackers (never been taught), and kids can't tackle. 

Fans go to the game because they either love the kids or love football.  They want to see success.  They must be loyal fans to keep coming back week after week.  That is pride.  I agree with one thing you said... Only idiots think you can change in a week.  It has been 5 long years and it looks worse then ever. WE NEED CHANGE! 

HC made HUGE mistake using current DC, hasn't one clue! Never proved he could coach. HC has let that fam run the show, cost him his job soon. Principal doesn't help either, when they ran off last crew, anybody with eyes saw what was coming...

I agree! The writing was on the wall.  What I don't understand is why the principal didn't see it then and can't see it now.  HC is a nice man but not a head coach.  DC needs to go back where he came from.

I hope footballisareligion doesn't mind me using his post from another thread...here it is.                                                                                                                                                      It's awesome seeing Tellico getting back to where they belong.  It's amazing what is happening since that cancer was removed from the coaching staff that the team had to endure for 6 or so seasons.  It's amazing how one or two can ruin it for the kids.  Really glad kids are coming out to play and excited to work.  I like what Coach Mullinax is doing.  I hope he is setting the bar high for the future of coaching at Tellico!!                      I think this might be the feeling of a lot of people on the Meigs Co. side. If Tellico can turn it around, so can Meigs. Make no mistakes about it, this is about the kids, i'm putting my feet in the shoes of the HC and looking in the mirror, no winning seasons....the only win this year is over a team that doesn't have a football field, i'm thinking of stepping down and letting someone else give it a shot, hey if i'm a good coach somewhere else will be wanting be as a coach for them, to start anew 0-0. Anyone else got any feeling on this?

I hope footballisareligion doesn't mind me using his post from another thread...here it is.                                                                                                                                                      It's awesome seeing Tellico getting back to where they belong.  It's amazing what is happening since that cancer was removed from the coaching staff that the team had to endure for 6 or so seasons.  It's amazing how one or two can ruin it for the kids.  Really glad kids are coming out to play and excited to work.  I like what Coach Mullinax is doing.  I hope he is setting the bar high for the future of coaching at Tellico!!                      I think this might be the feeling of a lot of people on the Meigs Co. side. If Tellico can turn it around, so can Meigs. Make no mistakes about it, this is about the kids, i'm putting my feet in the shoes of the HC and looking in the mirror, no winning seasons....the only win this year is over a team that doesn't have a football field, i'm thinking of stepping down and letting someone else give it a shot, hey if i'm a good coach somewhere else will be wanting be as a coach for them, to start anew 0-0. Anyone else got any feeling on this?

Tellico what ? Are you guys serious ? Tellico is on the rebound ? Not to burst anyones bubble but who has Tellico beat that is any good ?  I think Mullinax is as good a coach as any around but I wouldn't go that far. What type offense does mullinax run?