9AA TALK 2013-14

BIGROB1970

I have seen Coach Mason do that before. My guess is he wanted to spread the floor and encourage Stratford to come out and pressure his guards to open up driving lanes. Sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't. Always thought he did a good job with the Bobcats though. Doubt if Maddux would take a job anywhere that the playing field was level and he didn't have an advantage over the competition before the games even started. He might have to actually coach then instead of just rolling out the balls! Unfortunate that he played a major role in breaking up what could have been a possible state tourney team in Greenbrier a couple of years ago. Not many people like Maddux, but I would imagine most Greenbrier supporters have a special place for him in their hearts!

Cheatham beat Rossview tonight 94-66. Saunders had 38 and 7 3's. Darden had 15, 5 blocks and 3 dunks. Harlan had 17 and 7 assists. Cubs will be an exciting team to watch this year. Only bad part of the game was the refs. 30 fouls, 3 techs, and 2 fan ejections in the 1st quarter! Looked like the new college rules out there tonight.

Cheatham County went to East Nashville tonight and pulled out a tough 70-64 victory. It was a back and forth slugfest between two outstanding teams who will quite possibly face each other again in the postseason. The game was tied entering the 4th quarter, but the Cubs got enough stops and hit their free throws in the final minutes to come away with the win. Cheatham's starting five is scary when they are on the floor together. If there is a better big game player than Jake Saunders in middle Tennessee then I would sure like to see him. He had 29 tonight and has an uncanny ability to hit big shots when his team needs it. He is an absolute gamer and can score from anywhere against anyone. Wesley Harlan was huge tonight as well. He did a great job handling the ball against some excellent on the ball defense, knocked down a huge 3 and some free throws late in the 4th quarter, and contributed 17 points. Jordan Darden got in some foul trouble and had to sit for a couple of long stretches, but had 15 points, a couple of jams, and a giant basket with under a minute to play to put the Cubs up by 4. Michael Boyd did an outstanding job in limiting Terry Holt, one of the top players in the area, to 11 points tonight and also pitched in 6 points on the offensive end. Austin Douglas is a do-it-all kind of player who got some big rebounds and played tough defense tonight as well. East Nashville is an excellent team and they gave the Cubs fits on the glass all night. They really attack the basket off the dribble and are tough to defend. Coach Fey does a great job with them and they should have a lot of success this season. They will be a tough out come March. Great win for the Cubs tonight!

Edited by mumbletypeg

I'm looking forward to seeing the Cubs play Kenwood on Tuesday night. Daniel Norl (Eastern Kentucky signee), Jamario Rivers, Matthew Norl, Legree Hairston, and Co. beat a football-less Ensworth team (still a good win) and an athletic Whites Creek team last week. Stigall will have them ready to play.

Congrats to the Cubs on the strong start. Saunders, Harlan, Darden, Boyd, McGowan, Douglas, Shelton, and the guys have been great for the last 2 years under Dawson and Stuart. The fact that Stuart got to stay provided them much needed "consistency" on the bench and it will help the basketball team's chances for continued success at CCCHS. I wish they had done that for another sport as well but that's another discussion for another day. I hope the Cubs win 9-AA and challenge "Cheaters Prosper Academy" for a state title.

Where did everybody go? That loss to LEAD Academy seems to have sent Cleggy away from the boards for a few days. Can't say that I blame you though Cleggy as that is a pretty embarrassing loss. After a couple of weeks there haven't been too many surprises in 9aa. Cheatham clearly top dog sitting at 3-0 against good competition. Cubs face another stern test Tuesday when Kenwood comes to Ashland City-should be a really good game. Harpeth seems like the only team that could challenge the Cubs as they are off to a good start against tough opponents as well. Greenbrier looks like they will be ok, but the rest of the district looks pretty weak so far. Any other big games for 9aa teams this week?

Where did everybody go? That loss to LEAD Academy seems to have sent Cleggy away from the boards for a few days. Can't say that I blame you though Cleggy as that is a pretty embarrassing loss. After a couple of weeks there haven't been too many surprises in 9aa. Cheatham clearly top dog sitting at 3-0 against good competition. Cubs face another stern test Tuesday when Kenwood comes to Ashland City-should be a really good game. Harpeth seems like the only team that could challenge the Cubs as they are off to a good start against tough opponents as well. Greenbrier looks like they will be ok, but the rest of the district looks pretty weak so far. Any other big games for 9aa teams this week?

I'm still here.  Yeah, the Patriots turned in a clunker against LEAD with the 1 pt. loss.  If any loss is good, then that one was.  It will clearly get the team focused.  Still way early in the season.  District 9AA foes are coming up next week, with a visit from White House.  I tell you this, Heritage is not scared of CC or anyone else in the District.  BTW, nice win by CC over East Lit.  Very impressive, as impressive as our loss to LEAD was unimpressive.  I still have my Pats at the top along with CC for the District crown. 

All good Cleggy. Cheatham vs Kenwood tonight has been postponed.

That sounds like a interesting game right there.  I believe that Kenwood has an Eastern Kentucky signee.  Always good if college coaches are in the crowd!  Do you know if Saunders or Darden are being offered by anyone?  Having seen them play, I know both of them could play somewhere if they have the grades.

Well, after five games I see GB playing uninspired.  Sure we got the "W" versus Montgomery Central last night, but GB was losing until mid-way through the 3rd quarter.  Two surprises thus far though:  the 6'8" center is being utilized sparingly, but the bruiser inside (Lynn) is picking up a lot of the slack and earning double-digit points most nights. 

I NOW see GB finishing in the bottom third of the district, unless some cohesion occurs. I'll be able to determine more when the cats visit WH this Friday.

Anyone else changing their predictions based on what you've seen?

Cubs played a bit uninspired last night, but that doesn't come as a huge surprise off a 12 day lay off after the win over East. Having last Tuesday's game get postponed certainly didn't help them. Kudos to Westmoreland for competing though. Bottom line is the Cubs are 4-0(1-0) and won on the road by 13 last night despite not playing well. Hmmm. Darden had 24 and threw down a nasty slam as well. Cubs will be just fine. Step out of district play on the road against West Creek on Saturday and then travel to Harpeth next Tuesday. Should be a couple more good games.