9AA TALK 2013-14

BIGROB1970

And to say that Heritage has the best post and pg is either biased or delusional or both. As I have said before-no disrespect intended, but this ain't single A. I will go out on a limb and say that Cubs beat Heritage by double digits Every Time They Meet This Year or I will buy you dinner at the region tourney and admit i was wrong. Book it!

Heritage and Cheatham Co. are definitely the class of the District. They both return key players from last year's squads.  I may be biased but I really like the make up of the Heritage team.  Heritage will roll out the best all-around PG and offensive post in the District.  It will be interesting to see the big guys, Allen, Fogle, and Cunningham battling it out when they play.

haha I would say that IS biased. while bailey is a good PG, he is not the scoring type of guard more of a floor general. and as far as best all around big man in district, I would have to give that to the big guy from GB. I think the thing that everyone seems to forget is the game plan each team has for each other, while Cheatam is easily the best, anyone will be able to beat anyone on any given night. while I like heritage and the things they do, the speed coming up districts will give them a ton of trouble and with no other real production you cant think they have a winning chance with 3 players. basketball is a team effort. whichever team takes care of the ball and wins the rebounding battle will come out on top. WH has a bunch of good shooters and youngsers coming up through the program quickly, looking for some real good things in the future with a strong sophomore class coming up. will be interesting but Cheatam is still the favorite

And to say that Heritage has the best post and pg is either biased or delusional or both. As I have said before-no disrespect intended, but this ain't single A. I will go out on a limb and say that Cubs beat Heritage by double digits Every Time They Meet This Year or I will buy you dinner at the region tourney and admit i was wrong. Book it!

I'll take that bet!  hahaha.  I think those are gonna be some really good games.  Honestly, I think we will split the regular season with the wins coming at home.  IMO you never want your PG to be one-dimensional unless its defense so I'll take the veteran floor general any day.  Heritage can be beat if you can get them in foul trouble but if you don't, you'll have your hands full.  These kids have played and competed against some of the best players in America this summer.  The District will be tough every night for everybody.  Tell you what mumbly, I bet you dinner that Cheatham doesn't "run the table" in District play. and will also admit that I was wrong.  Happy Halloween Everybody!

You are on Cleggy. Cheatham lost a close one at Creekwood last year and that was the only blemish on their district record(13-1). Their other losses were to East Nashville in substate, Kenwood, and a team from Ms. Don't see any teams like those in 9aa this year, but we will see. I think you are underestimating this team, but I appreciate your contributions on this forum and the attention it generates for these young players. Hope everyone makes it through preseason practices and scrimmages healthy and looking forward to a great season! Cubs open @ home vs Rossview and will be tested early against teams like Kenwood, West Creek, Franklin, and East Nashville before settling into district play. See you at the games.

Edited by mumbletypeg

Sycamore is too low in my opinion, I see them in the top 4 in dist play.

You could certainly be right Parts. Big question with Sycamore imo is the loss of their best player and new coaching staff. They do have a lot of returnees though, so hopefully no drop off for them. Maybe a bit redundant on my part, but outside of the Cubs I think any of the other teams could beat each other on any night. There are always teams that over and underachieve though, so we will just have to see it play out on the court. Can't get here soon enough!

Who are the starters gonna be for CC this year mumbly?  Didn't they graduate a big post recently?  I just remember him, the Darden kid and a pretty good PG,  Who else ya'll got?

Lost 3 starters from last year's team. The post you are thinking of was 6'6 Billy Thomas. Also lost 4 year starters in Devin Conner(pg) and Thatcher Brinkley who were 2 of the cornerstones of the team. Mason Bates moved to Cookeville and I believe signed with Carson Newman last week. These are some major losses of guys who are going to be hard to replace.

However, there are a lot of experienced players returning. Jake Saunders has led the team in scoring the last 2 years and I would guess he will average around 20-25 a game for his senior campaign if not more.  Saunders is a pure scorer who can take you to the rack or knock a 3 in your eye. He was the MVP of the district and region tourney last year. Jordan Darden is the other returning starter and was the 2nd leading scorer and rebounder from a year ago. Darden is about 6'4 and is very explosive, as he had about 40 dunks a year ago and has also improved his shooting touch in the offseason. Both of those guys play aau for Team Nashville and will definitely be playing somewhere at the next level. I would expect them both to shoulder even more of the scoring load with the graduation losses from last year. Wesley Harlan will be the starting pg this year. He played major minutes the last 2 years and is due for a breakout senior year. Good luck keeping him in front of you off the bounce and I feel sorry for you if he is checking you bc the kid is relentless. Not sure as to the other starters, but my guess is that Coach Stuart will go with a pair of seniors who played some last year but were limited in their minutes bc of last year's depth. Michael Boyd is a slashing guard/wing who is about 6'2 and has a wealth of athleticism and offensive skills. Heard he posterized a few people this summer and will do the same this winter. Ashton McGowan is also a senior who came off the bench to back up Darden and Thomas at the post last year. He is a bit undersized as a post, but is excellent fundamentally and can score when given the opportunity(scored close to 20 against WH last year I believe). So there is your most likely starting five-all seniors with a ton of experience, versatility and scoring punch. Won't be as deep as last year, but there are a couple of younger guys who will impress when they get in the game as well. Watch out for sophomore Austin Douglas bc this kid is going to be a player! Should be a good year for the Cubs! Be nice to see someone post similar info about other schools in 9aa.

How 'bout this:

Heritage '13/'14 Boys and Girls Basketball Schedule
Nov. 14 Clarksville Academy (HOF) Away 6:00
Nov. 19 Springfield Home 6:00
Nov. 22 Lead Academy Away 6:00
Nov. 25 Merroll Hyde Away 6:00
Nov. 26 Alumni Game Home 6:00
Dec. 3 White House* Home 6:00
Dec. 6 Westmoreland* Home 6:00
Dec. 10 Aaron Academy Home 6:00
Dec. 13 Harpeth* Home 6:00
Dec. 17 East Robertson Away 6:00
Dec. 26-30 Christmas Tournament Dyersburg TBA
Jan. 7 Greenbrier* Away 6:00
Jan. 10 Sycamore* Away 6:00
Jan. 14 Cheatham County* Home 6:00
Jan. 17 White House* Away 6:00
Jan. 21 Westmoreland* Away 6:00
Jan. 23 Merroll Hyde Home 6:00
Jan. 24 Aaron Academy Away 6:00
Jan. 28 Harpeth* Away 6:00
Jan. 31 Greenbrier* Home 6:00
Feb. 4 Sycamore* Home 6:00
Feb. 6 East Robertson Home 6:00
Feb. 7 Cheatham County* Away 6:00
**All games with asterisk (*) are district games.**

How 'bout this:

sadly the only team on the schedule with any post season quality is Cheatham County

How 'bout this:

To be perfectly honest that is one of the weakest schedules I have ever seen. Not the type of schedule to prepare a team for district play and certainly not for a postseason run. On the bright side, Heritage should have a good looking record with all of the non-district cream puffs. Correct me if I am wrong, but looks to me like 8 non district games vs single a teams and a game vs Springfield(not counting xmas tourney). Looks like Heritage wants to continue to play a single a schedule despite the move to aa. For a team comprised of players who competed against "some of the best players in the country this summer" this type of scheduling does not demonstrate much confidence or a desire to be challenged. Just my opinion.

Edited by mumbletypeg

To be perfectly honest that is one of the weakest schedules I have ever seen. Not the type of schedule to prepare a team for district play and certainly not for a postseason run. On the bright side, Heritage should have a good looking record with all of the non-district cream puffs. Correct me if I am wrong, but looks to me like 8 non district games vs single a teams and a game vs Springfield(not counting xmas tourney). Looks like Heritage wants to continue to play a single a schedule despite the move to aa. For a team comprised of players who competed against "some of the best players in the country this summer" this type of scheduling does not demonstrate much confidence or a desire to be challenged. Just my opinion.

Have to agree here. I will not make anymore predictions until I have seen them play or through the grape vine, but I may put a synopsis as you did for both White House teams , as I have seen them both play , and their players play on multiple occasions. But as for that schedule that is quite embarrassing since I had read other patriot posters elsewhere claim that Petrone had always scheduled the hardest games, are you telling me you couldn't find a region opponent over merroll Hyde magnet school? In my opinion not helping the patriots squad get ready for the step up to AA especially for district, and region play ..... Tournament time.....on another note Springfield got a new real deal coach, and i am looking for them to be much more consistent and all around surprise really good year, but could be wrong, but very excited for basketball season! .....Which will be sooner than others after the first week of the playoffs.....