Marion vs Sale Creek (McCurry man against that Cox man)

Roy Dillard

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'd like to share this article from The TimesFreePress...says a lot about the young man.

Blake Zeman plays with Heart for Marion County

Blake Zeman was awarded Player of the Game honors in WRCB-TV's game of the week.

The burly fullback, centerpiece of Marion County's offensive attack, took the trophy and sought out Mrs. Mark Griffith, wife of Marion County's superintendent of schools, and gave her the trophy.

It was another way for the junior to remember 16-year-old Kennedy Griffith, the Griffith's daughter that died last year after a battle with cancer.

"It was heartfelt," Marion County football coach Mac McCurry said Sunday afternoon. "They were pretty good buddies."

Zeman has been selected Best of Preps Player of the Week for an outstanding performance in the Warriors' 52-28 victory over Sequatchie County. He rushed for 311 yards and four touchdowns.

"I've had five Mr. Football winners and six Mr. Football finalists, and he's comparable to any of those," McCurry said. "I had Brandon Wells at Moore County, and he rushed for nearly 8,000 career rushing yards. In some ways Blake is better than Brandon."

His tribute Friday wasn't Zeman's first to Kennedy. He had worn No. 20 most of his career but he knew last year when she appeared on the field that she would be wearing jersey No. 1. He asked to wear the same number that night and then went back to no. 20 the following week. This season he returned to No. 1.

"I was a little concerned that other people would see this as Blake being egotistical but he doesn't have an ego. He's a very caring and unselfish kid."

That was a great shout out, being able to be apart of kids life like that is what makes having to deal with the things you have to deal with as a coach worth it.  I have had two of my former football players pass away and it is almost like losing a kid.   Mark is a very strong man because If I lost my daughter I am not sure If I could go on.  I am not going to lie, I cried my eyes out when I found out about this, about to now.  I cannot imagine the pain Mark and his family has gone through, I think about them and pray for them all the time.          

Well TBolt you are right, I certainly don't have much to brag about during my time at Whitwell, but there are certain facts. Before I got to Whitwell they had the longest loosing streak in the State at 0-23. However while I was there we went to the playoffs three times and to the second round twice, while winning a region championship in 2001. To me the biggest thing was bringing pride back to the school in upgrading the facilities, remodeled field house, new track, and turf for the field, not to mention all the landscaping. When I got there the graduation rate was 50% and when I left it was over 90%. Football during that time brought pride back to the school, and community. So yea, I don't have much to brag about and people like you can say what they want, but when I left there I left there with my head held high. So TBolt, what makes so special to get on here and criticize?

Wow, with your expertise and track record, you should really be an AD at a major college or a head coach at a major university.  Graduation rate of 50percent..........so are you saying that half the students at whitwell were dropouts.  That number is on par with the howards of the world.  So in your time there you helped the school raise its rate to 90% huh?  That is very impressive right there, and why did you leave Whitwell for??  was it your own choice because I cant think of anyone who would want you to leave when YOU did all the things you did, especially the winning by getting the kids to practice.  And MC should be embarrassed to not beat SP every year........is that a serious statement?  It is my opinion that the majority of the time the team with the most athletes win the games and year in and year out, SP has way more than Marion does.  How many times did you beat the pirates in your time at whitwell??  Maybe that's why you left cause you were embarrassed.  You have tooted your Horn well in your last few posts.

Wow, with your expertise and track record, you should really be an AD at a major college or a head coach at a major university.  Graduation rate of 50percent..........so are you saying that half the students at whitwell were dropouts.  That number is on par with the howards of the world.  So in your time there you helped the school raise its rate to 90% huh?  That is very impressive right there, and why did you leave Whitwell for??  was it your own choice because I cant think of anyone who would want you to leave when YOU did all the things you did, especially the winning by getting the kids to practice.  And MC should be embarrassed to not beat SP every year........is that a serious statement?  It is my opinion that the majority of the time the team with the most athletes win the games and year in and year out, SP has way more than Marion does.  How many times did you beat the pirates in your time at whitwell??  Maybe that's why you left cause you were embarrassed.  You have tooted your Horn well in your last few posts.

When I got there 2000, out of 88 Seniors only about 40 graduated, when I left there out of about 90 who started as freshman I think only about four did not make it, and yes I was part of the reason things changed but only a part.  Thing is for the kids if you are told how sorry you are long enough, you begin to believe it.  WE and as in WE, began to change that by tell the kids what they could do instead of what they could not do.  I left Whitwell not because I wanted to but for many personal reasons I am not willing to discuss on CoachT.  To answer your last question, we lost to the Pirates the two years I was head coach because I was out coached.  My last year at Whitwell we went 4-0 with wins over Seq. Bledsoe, Grace, and I think Grundy, don't hold me to that one.  We lost the last six because of coaching, and coaching alone.  We had a good team.   I loved going against South Pittsburg because I considered Vic Grider a mentor.  He was actually the first person I told I was giving up coaching for awhile.  I took some time off and have coached at some bigger schools and hopefully maybe learned a thing or two.   I know if I knew more about throwing the ball we would have given our kids a better chance to win.  Hopefully I can do a better job of that in the future.  Sorry if I have offended you with my arrogance, it is just this time of the year I enjoy talking about football. 

Mac won't run the score up. MC will win big but the starters may be out before the half.

This is a great opportunity to show class and get invaluable game time experience for the jv guys...

Trust me. SP was alternating starters in the second quarter. It was still over 40 at the half. Lookout Valley will beat Sale Creek by 30 points. Mac won't be able to help this unless he tells kids to fall down.

Coach Mac will determine the score. Sale Creek gets a win by showing up. They are an infant program. They will stand up, fall down, sometimes cry, then take a step. This may go on for awhile. If you have ever heard it takes a community to raise a child, speaking comparatively this is it. Just because the child does not stand up and take off running does not mean it cannot eventually. Sale creek is in a unique situation. They are half way between Rhea Co. and Soddy Daisy, big programs. I had 38 offensive lineman at Soddy and the depth chart changed everyday for awhile, we only used five so that meant 33 were going to stand around and watch most of the time. They are going to draw some kids from those two programs if people stick with it. Sale Creek having a football program is way overdue. Good luck Sale Creek and stick with it. Right now things are tough but you are giving a lot of kids an opportunity to do something special, that is a lot more important than wins on Friday night. Go out there, do your job, have fun and don't worry about it.