Summit

cubs1

There was a post a few weeks ago hinting at some sort of controversy about which middle school was going to be zoned to which high school.  The more talent flowing in, the better the job should be... however... people will have to be patient and not expect the school to make a meteoric rise right off the bat just because Indy and Ravenwood did it back in whatever years they did it.

And there can't be a mutiny if Stewarts Creek hangs 60 on them again.  Stewie might be a new school but it is still a 7aaa program and has a coach with three state titles.  Just take those blowouts with a grain of salt and make progress as time allows.  If Siegel blows Stewie out Friday night, nobody is going to get irate with Coach Martin.

I think that's my cue.....

As NR indicated, expectations should be kept in check. But Summit is potentially a great job. The feeder middle school, Spring Station, is the second biggest in the county behind Brentwood Middle. Unfortunately it wasn't built big enough and it is already overcrowded in its fourth year of existence. Plans are to zone one of the feeder elementary schools into Heritage Middle (Indy's feeder) but then back into Summit. So hopefully the numbers won't change. But it's probably a band aid anyway. There is so much growth occurring down here that both middle schools will soon be full with the proposed new re-zoning plan. Summit needs a second feeder school like Indy has.

Last year Spring Station won six county championships in only it's third year including baseball, basketball, and football with a 9-0 record. The MS football team had another good season this year. But what is happening which will benefit both Summit and Indy is that we finally have a stable and well run youth football organization in Spring Hill. There is a lot of talent coming up the pipeline that will stock Summit and the surrounding high schools for a lot of years.

As for the immediate future, those freshmen who won the county as 8th graders are talented and ready to contribute next year. Some already have this year. There are about 30 sophomores and juniors on the roster. I promise you those boys are capable of playing AAA football. Just as this years seniors were capable of doing. This season hasn't been about poor talent, size, or inexperience. But the returning players...will return...and will be competitive next year if the new head coach is a good one. And I have full faith that the hire will be a great one.

I don't doubt the positives at the middle school and I believe that is definitely a huge plus but most coaches I have spoken with don't put much weight at all in youth football.  Some absolutely hate it, unfortunately it sometimes creates bad feelings about football and can foster "superstars" that don't take to coaching very well and get passed by their peers.

I have no experience in wilco so maybe their system is different but I have had few and far positive encounters with youth football....the rare ones that have been positive are coaches that "get it," that that level is about fun, fundamentals, and getting kids to love the game.

Without those guys youth football is worthless and unfortunately sometimes counterproductive at the high school level.

Now that my rant is over, how is the talent pool at Summit now?  How about the administration?  Will they work with the coach?  I would imagine there will be very solid interest in this job especially since I just saw it posted on a national football website.

I don't doubt the positives at the middle school and I believe that is definitely a huge plus but most coaches I have spoken with don't put much weight at all in youth football.  Some absolutely hate it, unfortunately it sometimes creates bad feelings about football and can foster "superstars" that don't take to coaching very well and get passed by their peers.

I have no experience in wilco so maybe their system is different but I have had few and far positive encounters with youth football....the rare ones that have been positive are coaches that "get it," that that level is about fun, fundamentals, and getting kids to love the game.

Without those guys youth football is worthless and unfortunately sometimes counterproductive at the high school level.

Now that my rant is over, how is the talent pool at Summit now?  How about the administration?  Will they work with the coach?  I would imagine there will be very solid interest in this job especially since I just saw it posted on a national football website.

I hear ya about the youth football thing. But the Franklin Cowboys and Brentwood Blaze have been model organizations in Wilco. They've put a lot of good football players at the schools in the northern end of the county. That was not happening down south. The newer organization in Spring Hill appears to be tracking like those two and hopefully will have the same results.

The talent pool is good. It compares favorably to the rest of the county despite what the scores have shown. Could use some more speed. But who couldn't. The administration is great. The principal absolutely knows what he is doing as well as the AD. The AD was a coach at Ravenwood when they won the state championship. I have total confidence in both men and know they will make a great hire.

Don't usually like to post on these things, just read along, but felt the need to on this one.

Summary-Your name seems to fit you well. There is a definite passive aggressive, judgmental tone coming through in your opinions. Your post show an intimate knowledge of the Summit program. I am assuming there is a "Son"mmary Judgement suiting up for the Spartans some night during the week, maybe one of those more than competitive sophomores or juniors coming back next year. I was at the Stewie game and did see a differential in talent, specifically speed, both in the skilled positions and up front.

From what I have heard about the way your program was launched there is a major difference between the way the two programs came to be. That first year of playing varsity with 9th and 10th graders must have been brutal. Kudos to those young men for battling through that. Looking up last year's record I saw improvement playing the same teams from that initial baptism by fire, three wins as opposed to none. Then you get bumped up with the big boys in AAA and you are surprised that you struggled yet again? Growing pains happen. As someone posted above, it is a process. Very few schools achieve the rapid success of Ravenwood.

From your recent posts I get the feeling the blame for this years lack of success in the Win/Loss column falls squarely on the shoulders of the coach/coaching staff. I may be wrong there and hope I am. I have seen the defenses your coach put on the field in a much tougher AAA district in Rutherford Co. for several years. He is in fact a good coach. You seem to contradict yourself with the confidence you have in the admin and AD to hire a "great" coach to replace him. Didn't they hire this coach? Maybe they made a good hire the first time and it has simply been a difficult task that will take a little more time. From what I saw at the SC game I think there may be some issues with "Jimmys and Joes" as well a the Xs and Os, as some people say.

I hope Summit hires the great coach you are looking for. I hope the program experiences success sooner rather than later. Kids that work hard deserve success. But, a word to the wise, support the new program the right way. Support your kids, the staff, the program as a whole and it will grow and flourish. Look to blame others, have unrealistic expectations, and fail to tell yourselves and those you influence the real truth and you are destined to fail despite the efforts you make.

Good luck to the Spartans in 2014. I may have to make the drive down 840 for the SC game to see how things have changed, or stayed the same.

Edited by truthshallsetyoufree

Don't usually like to post on these things, just read along, but felt the need to on this one.

Summary-Your name seems to fit you well. There is a definite passive aggressive, judgmental tone coming through in your opinions. Your post show an intimate knowledge of the Summit program. I am assuming there is a "Son"mmary Judgement suiting up for the Spartans some night during the week, maybe one of those more than competitive sophomores or juniors coming back next year. I was at the Stewie game and did see a differential in talent, specifically speed, both in the skilled positions and up front.

From what I have heard about the way your program was launched there is a major difference between the way the two programs came to be. That first year of playing varsity with 9th and 10th graders must have been brutal. Kudos to those young men for battling through that. Looking up last year's record I saw improvement playing the same teams from that initial baptism by fire, three wins as opposed to none. Then you get bumped up with the big boys in AAA and you are surprised that you struggled yet again? Growing pains happen. As someone posted above, it is a process. Very few schools achieve the rapid success of Ravenwood.

From your recent posts I get the feeling the blame for this years lack of success in the Win/Loss column falls squarely on the shoulders of the coach/coaching staff. I may be wrong there and hope I am. I have seen the defenses your coach put on the field in a much tougher AAA district in Rutherford Co. for several years. He is in fact a good coach. You seem to contradict yourself with the confidence you have in the admin and AD to hire a "great" coach to replace him. Didn't they hire this coach? Maybe they made a good hire the first time and it has simply been a difficult task that will take a little more time. From what I saw at the SC game I think there may be some issues with "Jimmys and Joes" as well a the Xs and Os, as some people say.

I hope Summit hires the great coach you are looking for. I hope the program experiences success sooner rather than later. Kids that work hard deserve success. But, a word to the wise, support the new program the right way. Support your kids, the staff, the program as a whole and it will grow and flourish. Look to blame others, have unrealistic expectations, and fail to tell yourselves and those you influence the real truth and you are destined to fail despite the efforts you make.

Good luck to the Spartans in 2014. I may have to make the drive down 840 for the SC game to see how things have changed, or stayed the same.

Seems to me you are taking this as a personal attack to have created an account and made this your first post. You might want to look in the mirror because there is a definite judgmental tone to your post. My guess is you have ties to this situation and some knowledge but not  enough to read between my lines. You are making incorrect assumptions. And you can call it what you like but I am not going to engage you regarding the on the field issues because he is a good man and a good coach. And he was a great hire at the time; just like the next hire will be at this time. He will land on his feet and treat the next set of boys he coaches with the same amount of respect and class as he did for the past three years. It's a process that I never denied. The ones making the call are football people with excellent judgment. What I wrote is not inconsistent.

I will engage you on this...If you had properly read my posts you would have seen that I wrote expectations need to be kept in check. I was in essence confirming NR's words that you can't assume this is Ravenwood all over again. You would have also noted that I acknowledged that speed is an issue at Summit. Speed that is not in supply like say at Smyrna or a newly created Rutherford County school. Lastly you would have understood that I was comparing Summit's talent to other Williamson County schools. It's obvious there is a talent gap between the two counties. But in your rush to judgment you overlooked my words in the prior posts in order to defend something that doesn't need defending.

Lastly you can word me to the wise all you want, but sometimes it is what is. I will be in the stands next year supporting the new staff, the boys, and the entire program. For you to posture otherwise is frankly judgmental and quite passive aggressive.

The head coach resigned effective at the end of the season on the Monday following the loss to Stewarts Creek.

Thanks for the info. That certainly makes it more appealing, as it is hard to make a new program successful and takes time. Was hopefully for the incoming coach that the administration didn't let him go.