White Co VS Cookeville

spartafire

Well it's Sunday night, i see no use in putting it off any longer! What's your thoughts for this game. Pretty big game for both. Can White County come out and make a statement for the playoffs? They would be making history with a win. it should put them hosting a playoff game.Thats never happened before. Runnerup for the district on the line for both. teams should be jacked up for this one. I'm not really putting much on the rivaliry, yea I know it's there but really, Cookeville should walk through this game every year. I've seen White Co. give them all they wanted plenty of times. Matterof fact I think White Co. would have won the game last year if the White Co. QB had not suffered the broken leg. I just hope it the game it should be and that everyone avoids injury

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

well many people are calling this the game of the century here in white county this friday. i don't know about that but it is huge not only for district and playoff implications but for the rivalry. there is no love lost between these two schools or communities.they pretty much hate each other. this could be a wild week with halloween going on if you know what i mean with tricks and pranks. hopefully nothing will be damaged or stolen.sparta hasn't won this game in a long time. i think the last time was like 1995. i think this will be a barn burner with the warriors finally beating them. if there ever gonna do it it will be this year. there best chance. it will be loud and rocking come friday night. i know if sparta wins there will be the biggest party ever and if we lose we will just say maybe next year. go warriors!

I think White County respects Cookeville and Coach Maynord. Coach Maynord was the head coach at White County for four years back in the 80's. Meanwhile, Coach Houser was an assistant at Cookeville for four years before coming to White County last season.

So lots of stories are interwoven between these two programs. The fact that Cookeville has won 17 straight in the series and that the school is more than twice the size of White County High School and is expected to win this game easily is just the facts of the series. Cookeville is the perennial champion of this district. A rivalry is not a rivalry if one team wins the game every year, so White County is an upstart program with miles to go to reach the level where Cookeville's program resides.

That being said the culture of White County football is changing. Coach Houser has instilled a work ethic and a vision that has the players and the community buying in. After an 0-4 start in his initial season the team is 11-5 since including 7-2 this season heading into this game.

Hopeful that a huge crowd will come out to see this year's game and that it is well played and that both teams are injury free at the end of the night. It is the most combined wins (13) between the 2 teams coming into this game in history!

From a White County perspective here are a few interesting notes about the football program:

* The streak: Cookeville has won 17 straight in the series. Last White County win: 21-13 in 1995.

* White County has 7 wins for first time since 1987 (White County coach in 1987 was current Cookeville coach Jimmy Maynord). The 7 wins through nine games is a first since 1972.

* The last time White County won 8 games in a season was 1980, counting an Industrial Bowl victory over Goodlettsville. The last time 8 or more wins happened in a regular season was 1972 (9-1).

* With a win White Country will host the first playoff game in school history. The school's all-time playoff record is 0-6.

* White County will make back-to-back playoff trips for only the second time in history. The only other time was in 2009 and 2010 when different rules allowed a 1-9 Warrior team in 2009 to advance.

* White County offense has scored 244 points, the most in a season since 1982.

* White County's defense is currently 2nd in TSSAA in 5A football in points allowed behind District foe Rhea County. Rhea County has allowed 111 points in 9 games and White County 112.

* Coach Matthan Houser's 11 wins, so far, over a 2-year period is the most wins over that time frame at White County since 1986-87. Those teams went 4-6 in 1986 and 7-4 in 1987. The last time a new coach won more in his first two seasons was Don Farley in 1980-81 when the teams won 13 (8-3 in 1980) and (5-5 in 1981).

* A win would give White County a perfect 5-0 record at home, the first undefeated home season since 1970.

Being a Cookeville guy, part of me wants to blow this off like every other year.  I've heard over and over again over the last 15 years or so about how "this is the year" sparta takes it Cookeville.  And I've never really thought they had a chance.  However, seeing Cookeville this year and just judging by sparta's stats and scores, I'd say this is the first time I've been worried about a loss for the Cavs. 

Coach Maynord's team has certainly improved this year.  They are miles better than they were when they played Cleveland.  That being said, this is one of the weaker teams I've seen here since before Coach Joslin.  No knock on the boys effort at all, they play thier butts off. 

If sparta stacks the box and can run down Cookeville's tailbacks, they have a shot. 

I'll take Cookeville 27-20 in OT

(part of me would be intrigued by a sparta win... would bring back the "rivalry" a little)

The streak is at 17 for good reason so it is no surprise Cookeville will be favored. Cookeville has some great athletes and are well coached. Neither team is where they want to be as a program but both should be proud of the direction in which they are heading. It is a great game for the Upper Cumberland to close the regular season.

Agree with ya Winstonblue.  Sparta has to earn some respect - even in their own community.  Coach Houser does a great job of directing boys to not listen to the noise or nay sayers.  Interesting fact - both teams have white helments now.  Wonder if Cavs took as much heat as the Warriors on that fact - tradition.

You are exactly right deadI, The program has been down for so long that it is a slow process to get butts in the seats. Not to mention that now people can sit at home and watch it live. Don't know who's bad decision that was but the football program is the one suffering the effects. I would be interested in seeing the decline in gates at the White Co. home games now and two years ago. All you have to do is look at the bleachers and you can tell it has cut attendance. But having said that Cookeville is not much better. I was talking to someone from Cookeville and they were saying that it hard to get people excited there and always had been. This is a huge game for both teams. I hope that the fans come out at least once this year