Cleveland @ White Co. Tssaa round 1

I would like to see Jackson Earle fill in at WR some, he got some time at receiver last season, or maybe the young sophomore Rob Dernard( I think he's going to be pretty good).

We are deep at receiver, no doubt.  Denard (he's a junior), Hilliker, and Beaty (both track guys) are also juniors and also are likely to evolve as threats moving forward. Jay McIntire is another junior with good hands and steady play-making ability.

Jackson Earle is tough...he's had good hands, and will fight for the ball and yardage.  Massey worked at WR/TE last year and looked pretty good too...they could probably use him in a pinch. He's got good hands and would be a load to bring down after a catch.

We are deep at receiver, no doubt.  Denard (he's a junior), Hilliker, and Beaty (both track guys) are also juniors and also are likely to evolve as threats moving forward. Jay McIntire is another junior with good hands and steady play-making ability.

Jackson Earle is tough...he's had good hands, and will fight for the ball and yardage.  Massey worked at WR/TE last year and looked pretty good too...they could probably use him in a pinch. He's got good hands and would be a load to bring down after a catch.

I was hoping Denard was a soph, lol. I'd like to see what Beaty could do.

Nice knock on the program 90warrior. This team has accomplished so much and yet always someone who can't wait to go negative. We played 6 playoff teams in 2013, and by rule we have to play our 5 district games (3 of the 5 made the playoffs). We dropped two teams that we beat in 2012 (*2013 records in parenthesis) Coffee County (0-10) and Loudon (3-7) both of whom finished last in their respective districts in 2013, and replaced them with Sequoyah (9-2)and Chattanooga Christian (3-7). Sequoyah won tonight handily. We kept 3 local rivalry games that if we didn't play some would cry we were afraid to play them (Livingston Academy, DeKalb County and York). These three teams beat us last year by a combined score of 115-13 and we turned the tables on all 3 winning over each of them by a combined 111-27. Rhea County (10-1) and Stone Memorial (6-5) were both playoff teams that replaced Seymour (2-8) and Smith County (6-5).

I don't want to hear about a weak schedule. The teams we replaced finished 11-30 in 2013 while the teams we added finished 27-15. Only one of the teams we dropped made the playoffs while 3 of the ones that were added made it.

What happened tonight was we faced one of the best 5A football teams in Tennessee and we lost. No excuses, that has been the players motto this year might oughta be yours.

im just being realistic winston. don't get me wrong i am very proud of my warriors. they had a great season. on paper we look great. these kids needed this. this community needed this. great for the program. i am so happy. i know we can't help who is in our district or that our district is prolly weakest in the state.7 wins come from pothetic teams. 1 win against a down cookeville team was great and hard fought. however we have played 3 very good or elite teams and we have lost all 3 and were not very close. we were one demensional with only a run game this year. i will say that i think our run defense is one of the best around.not to many teams ran on us all year.again i am proud of what they accomplished. alot of firsts. but if we play cleveland's schedule we prolly go 0-10. go warriors. time for basketball

im just being realistic winston. don't get me wrong i am very proud of my warriors. they had a great season. on paper we look great. these kids needed this. this community needed this. great for the program. i am so happy. i know we can't help who is in our district or that our district is prolly weakest in the state.7 wins come from pothetic teams. 1 win against a down cookeville team was great and hard fought. however we have played 3 very good or elite teams and we have lost all 3 and were not very close. we were one demensional with only a run game this year. i will say that i think our run defense is one of the best around.not to many teams ran on us all year.again i am proud of what they accomplished. alot of firsts. but if we play cleveland's schedule we prolly go 0-10. go warriors. time for basketball

Negatively abounds for many people who feel the need to apologize for any success they might have. Thank goodness not everyone feels the same as you. The program is under construction but is heading in the right direction and most every supporter of this program is proud of that fact! We also led the Upper Cumberland in interceptions, have the second leading rusher in the area, and were dominant on special teams for most of the year. The team found its offensive identity which was a throwback type team, of hard nosed physical football. It was a blueprint for success for this team. Each year is different because in high school unlike college you don't recruit but have to take the players that walk through the door and mold them to maximize their talent. Isn't is always easy to pick out the losses and make statements like you make, because after all this team lost 3 games, 3 out of 11 and that hadn't happened in Sparta in a long, long time. The facts are we were within 16-10 at Sequoyah until the final 2 minutes. The fact is we led Cleveland 8-7 with 3:00 left in the first half and trailed Rhea 6-0 until the final minute of the half. There is work to do, but if you think this program would have been better off traveling 2-3 hours to play schools and having no gates at home and trying to see if the record could have been as bad as say, East Ridge, then I disagree. One final comical thing about the naysayers in general; If you lose and go 0-10, 1-9, or 2-8  whatever the program is bad because you lose, if the program wins you are bad because you don't play anyone. The glass is always more than half empty to some people, and best to just ignore them so I am finished with this conversation. Warriors, please know the vast majority of us love and appreciate you and are extremely proud of you and your OUTSTANDING season!

Edited by winstonblue

i agree with everything you said. just that you and several in the community are looking at this through rose colored glasses. my point is that we are not as good as many people around here think we are. that's all.

Sometimes it takes those Rose colored glasses to get a program rolling, its called buying in. If you are a realist then you understand the state of your program and realize it takes not just players and coaches but also the community, administration, alumni and fan base working together to build a successful program. The coaches and players can have a successful team but to build and maintain the program you need everyone to buy in. You guys seem to be headed in the right direction and I have seen several WC teams over the years (playing Rhea County) and this one was the most complete team I have seen you guys have. I don't know where you rank WC overall talent level but the key to success at a public county school is to be able to compete and win a few games in the seasons where the talent levels are down to keep the program in good shape until one of those really good tallent groups come through every so often. Like Winston says the coaches have to work with the kids that sign up and building that winning tradition keeps the young kids and their parents interested and feeds the program instead of having kids walking the halls or playing every sport besides football. We are having a great year at Rhea County this year and I really like our chances against Cleveland this week but if we lose Friday folks will say the same thing about our "weak" schedule but 10 wins is something great to build on for next year but so is 8. The biggest problem with WC I noticed was lack of overall team speed and the only way to fix that is get more kids interested and out for football and going 8-3 will help. Congratulations on a great season!

Sometimes it takes those Rose colored glasses to get a program rolling, its called buying in. If you are a realist then you understand the state of your program and realize it takes not just players and coaches but also the community, administration, alumni and fan base working together to build a successful program. The coaches and players can have a successful team but to build and maintain the program you need everyone to buy in. You guys seem to be headed in the right direction and I have seen several WC teams over the years (playing Rhea County) and this one was the most complete team I have seen you guys have. I don't know where you rank WC overall talent level but the key to success at a public county school is to be able to compete and win a few games in the seasons where the talent levels are down to keep the program in good shape until one of those really good tallent groups come through every so often. Like Winston says the coaches have to work with the kids that sign up and building that winning tradition keeps the young kids and their parents interested and feeds the program instead of having kids walking the halls or playing every sport besides football. We are having a great year at Rhea County this year and I really like our chances against Cleveland this week but if we lose Friday folks will say the same thing about our "weak" schedule but 10 wins is something great to build on for next year but so is 8. The biggest problem with WC I noticed was lack of overall team speed and the only way to fix that is get more kids interested and out for football and going 8-3 will help. Congratulations on a great season!

Good luck to Rhea County Friday night. Make district 6aaa proud. Thanks for the kind words about WC football. You may be from Rhea County but you get it. Most here in WC get it too.

You understand what it's like to have some down years. Rhea County has a great team and has done a great job this year as has Cleveland. This should be an exciting game between two really good football teams. I wish both teams the best and hope for a great game. I think I may have to come over to see this one. If I do RC fan, tell me a list of places to eat and why :)