West @ Anderson County 3rd Rd!

MAVERICK1995

so here are some interesting things about the game, AC ran 75 plays to West 38, AC had 19 first downs to West 7.  I do not know the exact number but I am sure AC had the ball for at least 30 of the 48 minutes of play.  Hicks had over 20 carries for around 100 yards rushing.  I believe Fox had 12 carries on the night for around 25 yards rushing, that leaves 43 offensive plays for AC where I would say 20 of them were passes leaving 23 runs by the rest of the team.  If I had to guess, as I am seeing how I do not have the stats, I would say that Johnson carried the ball around 12-15 times in the second half for probably close to 60-70 yards rushing.  Fox did not return in the second half and it was clear by the 3rd time he ran the ball that he was no where near 100%, I would say 75% at best.  With all this said it seems to me that the Mavericks played this one just like they needed too to compete with a much faster and very talented West team.  Earlier in the week I made the comment that we needed to have a RB get 25-30 carries for around 200 yards to pull of the win and that Johnson may just be that guy and some thought I was crazy that AC could not have that many carries let alone by one back, but Johnson showed in the second half that he could be that guy as he was a beast.  If he gets the carries in the first half that he got in the second than he just might have hit the numbers I was looking for.  Now do not think for a minute that I am second guessing anything the coaching staff did at all because that is not at all what I am doing, they had a great gameplan on both sides of the ball and it worked and if I am Davey and have one of the best RB's in the state and he says he is good to go than I am running him to, this coaching staff has done a great job this year and ever since they have gotten here 5 years ago so I do not want anyone to take what I am saying the wrong way, I guess I just wish that Fox was 100% because we all know what he is capable of and at 100% I believe he would have gotten the same production as Johnson did on his carries which would have put what I said needed to happen to the test.  West had 8 guys in the box the majority of the game and AC was still able to accomplish a lot more than most people thought they would on the ground without their best RB, that is a tribute to just how good this AC team is and how good Hicks, Strickland, Johnson, Ford and company are.  This has to be one of the best offensive and defensive lines in the state and that showed last night.  What also showed was the toughness some of these young men have.  Hicks took a beating all night and still stood tall and made plays, Johnson took some huge shots in the second half and jumped up wanting more and dished it out big on some big runs.  West scored on long runs and was not able to sustain any drive, it was either a 60 yard TD or nothing and that is also a tribute to just how talented West is that they can score at any moment.  I for one am very proud as AC had their chances and opened up the 3rd Qtr with a 20 play drive that ate up a lot of clock and converted on multiple 4th downs but just could not capitalize.  I believe AC had the ball inside the 30 like 4 times and did not score and inside the 20 twice.  AC did not shoot themselves in the foot in my opinion as West made a lot of plays and deserves all the credit for that.  I believe that West will beat Cleveland by a score of 42-14 and go on to win the State, they are that good.  But AC aint too shaby either.  One other thing I would like to mention that I saw from the stands was the respect and sportsmanship showed between the AC and West players, each patting the other on the helmet after a good play and helping each other up after a big hit, great way to represent yourselves and your communities.  I for one see no shame in the loss last night and hope Cottrell will be good to go this week, the injury looked bad at first, but when he came back in there was only a slight limp and he was able to run the ball hard.  I am sure both teams woke up this morning sore as that was a hard hitting game.  The run out for the pre-game this week I thought was top notch, it was a little simpler than what we have seen all year, but the combination of that song with the smoke and lights and fireworks was awesome.  Great job Maverick players and coaches on a great season and I look forward to the offseason conversations about next years team, we lose a lot of lineman and some key skill players, but the skill payers we keep are pretty darn good and if the line is just Average next year this team will be able to compete as Johnson and Fox are going to be hard to handle next year, I also have heard that we have a very good Sophmore QB that will compete for a spot for next season and that may open up some doors to keep Johnson and Smith in the open field next season.  A lot of great accomplishments this season for the 3AAA champs and it is great to be a part of the Herd.

+1

Congrats to AC on a really good year. I know some are disappointed but this has been a year to remember. Those kids worked their butts off to get to where the did. You don't get to the 3rd round unless your a pretty good team. This is the best coaching job the staff has ever done, and I bet their at work Monday getting ready for next season. I know a lot of those kids and am proud of the way they played together.  Great Job!

Now lets all pull for West and try and win every division State Championship for Knox area. 

Good luck West!!!

so here are some interesting things about the game, AC ran 75 plays to West 38, AC had 19 first downs to West 7. I do not know the exact number but I am sure AC had the ball for at least 30 of the 48 minutes of play. Hicks had over 20 carries for around 100 yards rushing. I believe Fox had 12 carries on the night for around 25 yards rushing, that leaves 43 offensive plays for AC where I would say 20 of them were passes leaving 23 runs by the rest of the team. If I had to guess, as I am seeing how I do not have the stats, I would say that Johnson carried the ball around 12-15 times in the second half for probably close to 60-70 yards rushing. Fox did not return in the second half and it was clear by the 3rd time he ran the ball that he was no where near 100%, I would say 75% at best. With all this said it seems to me that the Mavericks played this one just like they needed too to compete with a much faster and very talented West team. Earlier in the week I made the comment that we needed to have a RB get 25-30 carries for around 200 yards to pull of the win and that Johnson may just be that guy and some thought I was crazy that AC could not have that many carries let alone by one back, but Johnson showed in the second half that he could be that guy as he was a beast. If he gets the carries in the first half that he got in the second than he just might have hit the numbers I was looking for. Now do not think for a minute that I am second guessing anything the coaching staff did at all because that is not at all what I am doing, they had a great gameplan on both sides of the ball and it worked and if I am Davey and have one of the best RB's in the state and he says he is good to go than I am running him to, this coaching staff has done a great job this year and ever since they have gotten here 5 years ago so I do not want anyone to take what I am saying the wrong way, I guess I just wish that Fox was 100% because we all know what he is capable of and at 100% I believe he would have gotten the same production as Johnson did on his carries which would have put what I said needed to happen to the test. West had 8 guys in the box the majority of the game and AC was still able to accomplish a lot more than most people thought they would on the ground without their best RB, that is a tribute to just how good this AC team is and how good Hicks, Strickland, Johnson, Ford and company are. This has to be one of the best offensive and defensive lines in the state and that showed last night. What also showed was the toughness some of these young men have. Hicks took a beating all night and still stood tall and made plays, Johnson took some huge shots in the second half and jumped up wanting more and dished it out big on some big runs. West scored on long runs and was not able to sustain any drive, it was either a 60 yard TD or nothing and that is also a tribute to just how talented West is that they can score at any moment. I for one am very proud as AC had their chances and opened up the 3rd Qtr with a 20 play drive that ate up a lot of clock and converted on multiple 4th downs but just could not capitalize. I believe AC had the ball inside the 30 like 4 times and did not score and inside the 20 twice. AC did not shoot themselves in the foot in my opinion as West made a lot of plays and deserves all the credit for that. I believe that West will beat Cleveland by a score of 42-14 and go on to win the State, they are that good. But AC aint too shaby either. One other thing I would like to mention that I saw from the stands was the respect and sportsmanship showed between the AC and West players, each patting the other on the helmet after a good play and helping each other up after a big hit, great way to represent yourselves and your communities. I for one see no shame in the loss last night and hope Cottrell will be good to go this week, the injury looked bad at first, but when he came back in there was only a slight limp and he was able to run the ball hard. I am sure both teams woke up this morning sore as that was a hard hitting game. The run out for the pre-game this week I thought was top notch, it was a little simpler than what we have seen all year, but the combination of that song with the smoke and lights and fireworks was awesome. Great job Maverick players and coaches on a great season and I look forward to the offseason conversations about next years team, we lose a lot of lineman and some key skill players, but the skill payers we keep are pretty darn good and if the line is just Average next year this team will be able to compete as Johnson and Fox are going to be hard to handle next year, I also have heard that we have a very good Sophmore QB that will compete for a spot for next season and that may open up some doors to keep Johnson and Smith in the open field next season. A lot of great accomplishments this season for the 3AAA champs and it is great to be a part of the Herd.

Classy Post Mac...you have a great team there! I forsee these teams meeting again next year!

Congrats to AC on a really good year. I know some are disappointed but this has been a year to remember. Those kids worked their butts off to get to where the did. You don't get to the 3rd round unless your a pretty good team. This is the best coaching job the staff has ever done, and I bet their at work Monday getting ready for next season. I know a lot of those kids and am proud of the way they played together. Great Job!

Now lets all pull for West and try and win every division State Championship for Knox area.

Good luck West!!!

Thanks Carolina I hope West can keep it going!

Thanks Carolina I hope West can keep it going![/quote

Your welcome. You guys have proven your the best team in east tn, by beating AC and Cleveland. IMO, West,and these were the 3 best teams this side of Henry co. This year. You have beaten Cleveland and it looks like their playing their best football of the season, and so are you guys. This looks like a great matchup.

I don't know a lot about Henry county, but I cannot imagine a better team out there than West. They just seem to have it all this year. Again, good luck and win it all.

so here are some interesting things about the game, AC ran 75 plays to West 38, AC had 19 first downs to West 7.  I do not know the exact number but I am sure AC had the ball for at least 30 of the 48 minutes of play.  Hicks had over 20 carries for around 100 yards rushing.  I believe Fox had 12 carries on the night for around 25 yards rushing, that leaves 43 offensive plays for AC where I would say 20 of them were passes leaving 23 runs by the rest of the team.  If I had to guess, as I am seeing how I do not have the stats, I would say that Johnson carried the ball around 12-15 times in the second half for probably close to 60-70 yards rushing.  Fox did not return in the second half and it was clear by the 3rd time he ran the ball that he was no where near 100%, I would say 75% at best.  With all this said it seems to me that the Mavericks played this one just like they needed too to compete with a much faster and very talented West team.  Earlier in the week I made the comment that we needed to have a RB get 25-30 carries for around 200 yards to pull of the win and that Johnson may just be that guy and some thought I was crazy that AC could not have that many carries let alone by one back, but Johnson showed in the second half that he could be that guy as he was a beast.  If he gets the carries in the first half that he got in the second than he just might have hit the numbers I was looking for.  Now do not think for a minute that I am second guessing anything the coaching staff did at all because that is not at all what I am doing, they had a great gameplan on both sides of the ball and it worked and if I am Davey and have one of the best RB's in the state and he says he is good to go than I am running him to, this coaching staff has done a great job this year and ever since they have gotten here 5 years ago so I do not want anyone to take what I am saying the wrong way, I guess I just wish that Fox was 100% because we all know what he is capable of and at 100% I believe he would have gotten the same production as Johnson did on his carries which would have put what I said needed to happen to the test.  West had 8 guys in the box the majority of the game and AC was still able to accomplish a lot more than most people thought they would on the ground without their best RB, that is a tribute to just how good this AC team is and how good Hicks, Strickland, Johnson, Ford and company are.  This has to be one of the best offensive and defensive lines in the state and that showed last night.  What also showed was the toughness some of these young men have.  Hicks took a beating all night and still stood tall and made plays, Johnson took some huge shots in the second half and jumped up wanting more and dished it out big on some big runs.  West scored on long runs and was not able to sustain any drive, it was either a 60 yard TD or nothing and that is also a tribute to just how talented West is that they can score at any moment.  I for one am very proud as AC had their chances and opened up the 3rd Qtr with a 20 play drive that ate up a lot of clock and converted on multiple 4th downs but just could not capitalize.  I believe AC had the ball inside the 30 like 4 times and did not score and inside the 20 twice.  AC did not shoot themselves in the foot in my opinion as West made a lot of plays and deserves all the credit for that.  I believe that West will beat Cleveland by a score of 42-14 and go on to win the State, they are that good.  But AC aint too shaby either.  One other thing I would like to mention that I saw from the stands was the respect and sportsmanship showed between the AC and West players, each patting the other on the helmet after a good play and helping each other up after a big hit, great way to represent yourselves and your communities.  I for one see no shame in the loss last night and hope Cottrell will be good to go this week, the injury looked bad at first, but when he came back in there was only a slight limp and he was able to run the ball hard.  I am sure both teams woke up this morning sore as that was a hard hitting game.  The run out for the pre-game this week I thought was top notch, it was a little simpler than what we have seen all year, but the combination of that song with the smoke and lights and fireworks was awesome.  Great job Maverick players and coaches on a great season and I look forward to the offseason conversations about next years team, we lose a lot of lineman and some key skill players, but the skill payers we keep are pretty darn good and if the line is just Average next year this team will be able to compete as Johnson and Fox are going to be hard to handle next year, I also have heard that we have a very good Sophmore QB that will compete for a spot for next season and that may open up some doors to keep Johnson and Smith in the open field next season.  A lot of great accomplishments this season for the 3AAA champs and it is great to be a part of the Herd.

Actually Fox was good to go. West came out with a good plan and simply shut us down in the opening. Matt was confused as to why the coach pulled him as he was not hurting and rearing to go if given the chance. No explanation was given at the time nor during the entirety of the game which bothered me. At least give the kid a reason that he can accept. Regardless, I'm not saying it would have changed the outcome of the game and I am proud of Johnson for stepping in and doing a super job. I would have liked to see less trickery from AC and just hard nose up the gut football. West showed many vulnerable spots yet we still resorted to plays that just took too long to develop against a super fast defense. Congrats to West...bring it home to this area.

Actually Fox was good to go. West came out with a good plan and simply shut us down in the opening. Matt was confused as to why the coach pulled him as he was not hurting and rearing to go if given the chance. No explanation was given at the time nor during the entirety of the game which bothered me. At least give the kid a reason that he can accept. Regardless, I'm not saying it would have changed the outcome of the game and I am proud of Johnson for stepping in and doing a super job. I would have liked to see less trickery from AC and just hard nose up the gut football. West showed many vulnerable spots yet we still resorted to plays that just took too long to develop against a super fast defense. Congrats to West...bring it home to this area.

Foxman sorry to hear that happened to Matt. I assumed he had reaggrivated the injury and he wasn't good to go. I was also surprised you guys didn't straight up run it at us and attacked the outside instead. AC had success but even West was expecting more runs up the middle. Thanks for the well wishes.

Foxman sorry to hear that happened to Matt. I assumed he had reaggrivated the injury and he wasn't good to go. I was also surprised you guys didn't straight up run it at us and attacked the outside instead. AC had success but even West was expecting more runs up the middle. Thanks for the well wishes.

From what I could tell was where Matt usually runs with the blockers then takes a sharp cut inside the field and is usually gone for good yardage West had that cut memorized and over loaded that area. Just like we were doing them. And For some reason that corner run was being stuffed where Matt would typically turn the corner. They stated the prepared for fox in earlier post and it looks like they did.

Of course they prepared for him just like every team has. I would have liked to see what he could have done given the chance. I'm not against changing a game plan to throw in a new look, but to sit your #1 running back in the state on the sidelines without a reason as if he's done something wrong or as if you've lost faith, is very confusing. If you want the best out of him, you have to treat him as the best. I know Matt will always give his all for AC, unless the faith isn't there. He thrives on pressure and just got dropped like a hot potato. Next year is next year. Last night was a fight for the prize in sight and the now is what mattered. What do you tell your son when he feels he could have changed the game and has proven it in the past?

Interesting....why would a coaching staff as good as this one take the state's leading rusher out of the game with no explaination? I know you are extremely proud of Matt and you should be! Kid is a warrior! Looking forward to watching him next year!

Interesting....why would a coaching staff as good as this one take the state's leading rusher out of the game with no explaination? I know you are extremely proud of Matt and you should be! Kid is a warrior! Looking forward to watching him next year!

I don't get that either. I'm not a coach, but you ride the horses that got you to the big game. What's even more disturbing is to not providing the kid with an explanation. I know some will say he doesn't owe one but to your all-state running back you do.