Tri-County Seven- Week #2

coachh17

I will give it a better effort this week.  I did watch Science Hill wear down Elizabethton.  I have studied every schedule and think I will have a better ranking this week.  Most teams will be involved in Thanksgiving tournaments this week and many of our teams will play each other.  I go off of CoachT schedules.  Could a Johnson County fan please keep your schedule updated and accurate?

1. Elizabethton- (AA) (2-1)-   Weaknesses were exposed by a very good AAA Science Hill team.  The Lady Cyclones need the posts to develop quickly, need a consistent third scoring option, and could be better defensively and on the boards.  I think they will be fine against AA competition.  Play in a big game at Hampton on Tuesday for the #1 spot.  Tourney schedule looks pretty soft. 

2. Hampton- (A) (3-1)-  Coach Leon Tolley looks to have another solid team in Bulldog land.  The only loss is to Science Hill.  Host Elizabethton in a big game Tuesday and host Johnson County Friday.

3. Cloudland- (A) (3-1)- Coach Birchfield may have another state caliber team on Roan Mountain.  D 1 post Brooke Rhodes graduated but the cupboard is still well stocked with Courtney Wilson, Courtney Clark has returned, and Kendall Mull is developing into a very nice player.  Loss is to historically powerful Wise Central,VA.  Beat Johnson County on the road by 24.  Host Volunteer in an interesting game on Monday.

4. Happy Valley- (AA) (3-1)-  Lost by 3 at home to Hampton to drop to the #4 spot.  I still think Coach Abel's Warriors will have a good year.  Blankenship can light it up.  Eaton, Woods, and Johnson will need to play consistently well to maximize this team's potential.

5. Unicoi Co.- (AA) (1-2)-  Beat Unaka 56-53.  Losses are to Crockett and Volunteer.  Rice, Webb, True, and Hayes are leading the way early.  Harness is recovering from an injury and is missed. Will tour Greene County this week and play North Greene, South Greene, and West Greene in the Greene County Thanksgiving Tourney. 

6. Unaka- (A) (2-4)-  Beat Crockett and Sullivan Central.  Losses are to Cosby, Happy Valley, Volunteer, and Unicoi Co.  Coach Wright's team appears to be competive, though I believe they are a notch below Cloudland and Hampton in the single A ranks.

7. Johnson Co.- (AA) (0-2)-  Expectations and hopes were high for this team in Mountain City before the season.  A 25 point loss to South Greene and a 24 loss to Cloudland may temper those expectations.  Coach Whittemore has Brown and Reece as solid players.  Others will need to step up for the Lady Longhorns to reach their goals.  They visit Hampton on Friday and an upset win would be huge for this team.

Edited by coachh17

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I also agree with the rankings. We are just getting started this season and I'm sure there will be many fluctuations within the 7. Hampton/Elizabethton should be a dandy Tuesday night. I personally didn't think the Lady Dogs would be as competitive until they got healthy and got their 6'2 post player back, but they have been getting some contributions from their freshmen and the guard play has been solid. Don't see any dominant team this year, unlike years past.

Lady Landers are looking strong.  I am still unsure about Unicoi County.  They lost by 20 to South Greene tonight and appear to be a work in progress.  Elizabethton earned a tough 49-38 win at Hampton tonight.  Posts Sarah Robinson and Megan Pietrowski really stepped up their games.  I think Kayla Marosites had close to 20 rebounds.  The Bulldogs are quick and scrappy, but Elizabethton is taller, stronger, longer, more athletic, and they have a deeper bench in my opinion.

Lady Landers are looking strong.  I am still unsure about Unicoi County.  They lost by 20 to South Greene tonight and appear to be a work in progress.  Elizabethton earned a tough 49-38 win at Hampton tonight.  Posts Sarah Robinson and Megan Pietrowski really stepped up their games.  I think Kayla Marosites had close to 20 rebounds.  The Bulldogs are quick and scrappy, but Elizabethton is taller, stronger, longer, more athletic, and they have a deeper bench in my opinion.

Lady Cyclones are taller and that is it. The Lady Dogs did a great job on the Marosite twins, I think they had 6 pts each. That is some pretty good defense. Lady Bulldogs played 9 players and remember their 6' 2 center is on the bench on crutches. Got freshmen trying to fill her spot at the moment. Offensive rebounding is what won the game for the Lady Cyclones and that alone. I know you look through orange colored glasses, but give the Lady Dogs some credit. I still say they get more out of what they've got than the Lady Cyclones. Look forward to the rematch in 10 days