Best Guards in the early 80's Nashville

at

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Let me shed some light since i seen them both. Each team was great and dont get me wrong but i think the nod goes to W.C. because they played the better team in there era than P.C. did and also whites creek was ranked nationaly at no.17 by ESPN but the PC team was tough but both lost in the state. The most complete team was the pearl team that won the state with david smith and crew. They went there and won it.

You are so right and that would be my group too and here are my top are.

AVERY PATTON GLENCLIFF

SIDNEY GRIDER FATHER RYAN

TERRY HOWARD MAPLEWOOD

REGGIE GLIMPS COHN

JOHN SNEAD FATHER RYAN

RONNIE CAGE WHITES CREEK

JOHNNY LYNN ?????

DAVID SMITH PEARL

DWAYNE JONHS PEARL

DARRELL ODEM MAPLEWOOD

CHARLES BROOKS WHITES CREEK

WENDELL LOWE WHITES CREEK

SANDY MCCLAIN STRADFORD

THOMAS EARL MULLINS MAPLEWOOD

DAVID SUDDETH MAPLEWOOD

KEVIN ANGLIN FRANKLIN

STEFFON TAYLOR BELLVUE

Cobrafan90,

I'm saying this with a big smile and respecting your view also, but there is no way that that W.C. was better:-) I played against that team for 4 years, well actually 5 years because I played against the same guys when I played for East Jr High. David Vaughn had to be the most overrated player in Nashville. Sims had to be the most underrated. I have spoke to guys from other places throughout the state who played this team and the same conclusion is made. I vividly remember Sims hitting us(Stratford) up for 39. If Sims were to play for an opposing team of Vaughn, he would have absolutely dominated him. SIms and Frierson were there strong points and that was it. Now, I played with a guy a East who dominated both of them. His name was Micheal Henderson. The Pearl team was much better.

Panthergame,

I remember many of those players and happen to play freshman ball when Ray Ray played his last year at Stratford, along with Fleming and Brian, who transferred to W.C. the next year. I thought that a lot of people forgot about ole Ray!! Wasn't he a BALLER. I actually started to think that what I was seeing in those days were simply figment of my imagination, until I saw Demarco and Hassan and then everything was validated. I knew that Ray, Flem, Reggie Grimes(Stratford, not H.L), Butch Hines, etc were jumping out of the gym during those times. Butler never gets his due either, but he should. I witness him throw one down Vaughn throat at TSU one night. I'm trying not to let these years go because it doesn't seem like I'm going to see them again!!! :(

Panthergame,

WALTER Whitwoth!!!!! HE was NNNNNNNNNNNNice!!!! I remember watching him when I was in the 7 and 8th garde. He played low to the ground and was very quick. I happen to play with him at the Cleveland Center one time and he seemed to be very mild tempered, so it was a real pleasure to play with him.

no way AT, however point well taken with a smile as well. i liked that pearl team. but no way can you say the team was just sims and frierson. rucker was automatic from 3 pt land(even walked on at vandy for a yr). i am assuming you are talking about the 91 team(which wasnt the best team at the creek, 89 was, cory allen, brian ward)

i do agree with sims being underrated. he embarrased david vaughn their freshman yr in a dunk contest. vaughn missed his dunk. but vaughn was not overrated. he wasn't that good at joelton. but he was as polished as a big man in high school in metro that i have seen in a while. you must understand that Whites Creek beat Pearl with all of those guys with James Stewart and co. So i know Vaughn and the crew would be able to beat Pearl. The x-factor would be Slay vs. Sims ...........you decide. NO WAY does big John Stop Vaughn. They used to say glencliff would beat the creek cause they had big Amos Gregory. uh uh, didn't happen.

Even you admit sims lit Stratford up for 39. I was at that game. It was showtime all night baby. We scored close to 100 pts. No one in Metro came close to knocking off the creek. Pearl was upset by a very mediocre Hillsboro team with slay, BT, henderson, etc. Vaughn and company won the Arby's classic. Pearl didn't(they lost to marietta wheeler). Facts are facts. What more info do you need. You say you talked to people across the state who share your view. But not in Parkwood, Golden Valley, Bordeaux, Enchanted Hill, or any Cobra Land hahahhahah.

You say you played at east i am pretty sure Ewing park put it on East :). As well as Joelton. Michael Henderson that name sounds familiar. Whites Creek freshman won the city with sims, rucker, and vaughn.

Good luck to all of your East nashville teams this year AT maybe i can sit next to you when the creek plays stratford.

HAAHAHAHAHA:-)))

Of course those in that area of town are going to support your view. No, you all got beat one year at the Arby's Classic by the same team that you all could NEVER beat; SCIENCE HILL. Every Great team has it's nemesis and for you all it was Sciience Hill.

No, the first semester of 87 at East we beat Ewing Park by 30 points at East. The second semester they beat us by 7 and in the city they beat us by 4. They ended up get demoralized by Bass. We ended up beating the TAR of Jamont Wade and Bellevue.

We talk later, because I'm in NYC as I speak.

i wonder what ever happened to jamont wade he was pretty tough.

in 91 we beat science hill in the arby's classic to win the championship. there is an arby's classic website with this info(don't know it right off top)

they beat us in the state quarterfinals.

so technically we split with them,but they won when it counted most.

oh by the way while you are in NYC pick me up a mix tape(CD) :o

Cobra,

Guy you made people at this resort look at me as if I were CRAZY!;))))) Pick you up a mix tape:-)))!! That had me ROLLING!! Man, I definitely would do that for you had you told me before I got out to Long Island. I stayed in Manhattan for three days before coming out here for a conference. I don't think that I'll be going back into Manhattan before I leave but if I do I will be sure to pick up some mix tapes for you and me both, because I forgot about those tapes. Man, things, well clothing, shoes, jewelry, etc are soooo much cheaper up here!

But I still day that PC was a better team. They were a throw back!!! Man hit me up on the e so we can meet up; a_toran2@yahoo.com. Jamont was incognito when his father passed away.