Best Guards in the early 80's Nashville

at

I've been in a lot of Barber Shop discussions over the last couple of months and this subject can never be agreed upon. I hope that Coach Gamble is in the house. Reggie Glimpse(Cohn), Avery Patton(Glencliff), David Smith(Pearl), Sandy McClain(Stratford), Terry Howard(MAplewood), Greg Davis(Stratford), Jubal Cooper(East); Can someone rank them?

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm old but can hardly remember these guys but here are my rankings 1.Patton- big offense bigger competitive nature.2.Smith -court savvy and big play attitude edges out better offensive players 3.Howard(my first babysitting job)shot 30 times a game made you adjust game plan.4.Glimpse great stroke but only 1 standout year and played lesser competition at Cohn 4.McClain shooter only and the touch only was good against weaker teams 5.Cooper7or8good games doesn't deserve him being on this list although the potential was there 6.Davis was he in the 80's decent guard but not outstanding at any particular thing.

McClain and Cooper do not belong. McClain could shoot long range occassionally. Cooper made a living off the "Cooper loops" to Ty Baynham, but was never a force on the court. Reggie Glimps could shoot against anyone, from anywhere. Terry Howard was definitely fun to watch. He had a pretty good supporting cast. David Smith was solid at Pearl. John Sneed at Father Ryan and Tommy Stamps at Hendersonville were two really good point guards in '80. Johnny Lynn at Beech in '84. Thomas Earl Mullins was another streaky shooter at Maplewood in '81. I spent a lot of time watching those guys back then.

It was already concluded that Ronnie Lawson was the best thing since high tops, but everything got foggy after him. I vividly remember watching Ty at East because I'm from East Nashville and you know that he is a Legend in East Nashville. The word is that Glimpse was the best pure shooter from the list though. There was also a guy from Hume Fogg that people argue of being a great baller during those times. Avery Patton usually at the bottom of the list, though ALWAYS given his props. I want to put Ronnie Sharp on that list also, definitely!!!!!

I definitely know about Ronnie Sharp. I grew up and played with Ronnie at Stratford. He was a couple of years behind me. I witness him put it on Percy Blue regularly:-)) During those times Butler (Maplewood) and Allen Carter(W.C.), a Avery PAtton and Calvin Peters protege had good games against that Stratford team. I know that Ronnie was one of the better ones.

I've been around basketball for a good number of years so I think that I can gauge some talent that comes through here. I haven't been witnessing that many throw back types of players. I do believe that Bubba Taylor will be one. I've watched him entertain the crowd, so he's on his way!!!! There hasn't been a complete throw back team since the Pearl-Cohn teams of Slay, Arvid, Terry Reynolds, Booker T., Henderson. This team was far beeter than the W.C. teams of Sims, Vaughn, Friersob, Rucker.There have been players like Kinzer. I will continue to watch

The best talented player I ever had at Maplewood was Ray Ray Watkins. He averaged 22 pts. per game and was great on defense. Also, Jonathan Whitworth and his brother Walter Whitworth, both made all-Metro first team. Carl Bean, Amilcar Butler, David Suddeth (All time leading scorer at Trevecca), and Cetric Anderson. These are a few I have coached at Maplewood. Before I was there Tim Burr lit it up and Bobby Hines also, did. :)

The best of the 80's in one class on one team. Charles Brooks played at Aquinas and Trevecca, Calvin Peters played at Belmont, Bobby Harris played Juco and then for Auburn-Montgomery, and Wendell low played a little Juco. There were about 3 or 4 more seniors on that team that were pretty good. They were fun to watch!!!!

Best Shooter - Sidney Grider Father Ryan

Best Dunker - Charles Brooks Whites Creek

Best Passer - Jubal Cooper East

Best Defender - Avery Patton Glencliff

Hardest to Guard - David Suddeth Maplewood

Best Scorer - Reggie Glimps Cohn

The first player I pick for my team or to go to war with Avery Patton Glencliff - THE TOUGHEST GUY IN TOWN! :)