AA - West TN

GCPioneer

I have seen almost all of the top AA teams out in the west. In my opinion, AA west is just like A ball in the west, wide open for several teams to take. It is going to be highly competitive among teams such as Dyersburg, Westview, Obion, Covington, Lexington, McNairy, and what looks to be the front runner down in Memphis in Craigmont. AA ball in the west might be down somewhat as far as elite individual talent compared to years past, however, the teams are as balanced as I've seen as well. Thoughts and opinions?....

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Nobody is touching UC girls in 1A around West TN. Won't be challenged until the get to da BORO. As for AA, Dyersburg is head and shoulders above the others in Region 7 . As for the statement GC - the talent level has gone down quite a bit in the last 3 to 4 years. You had a stretch from about 2007 to just a couple of years ago where 13AA had some of the best talent in the state-- state champions and a Miss Basketball. But those days are gone. Hopefully they'll be competitive again at the state level before too long.

Nobody is touching UC girls in 1A around West TN. Won't be challenged until the get to da BORO. As for AA, Dyersburg is head and shoulders above the others in Region 7 . As for the statement GC - the talent level has gone down quite a bit in the last 3 to 4 years. You had a stretch from about 2007 to just a couple of years ago where 13AA had some of the best talent in the state-- state champions and a Miss Basketball. But those days are gone. Hopefully they'll be competitive again at the state level before too long.

got to play jackson county 1a with coe and company when you get to the boro and it very well could be same tune,same song.

that's my point, UC girls dominate in West TN area in 1A and won't see a challenge until the state tourney. Hoping UC and Jackson Co. are in opposite brackets so they'll see each other again in the title game. Coe is the real deal. Glad to see her go Major D-1 at Univ.of Kentucky.. A solid women's program they have up there.

I've seen Covington, Dyersburg, and Lexington more than once. Covington has really good post play with Mason and Somerville, and solid guards in Harvey and Poindexter. They can score inside out and can play uptempo or in a slow down game. They only play 7 so foul trouble will need to be avoided down the road and they arent really a good foul shooting team. Lexington goes as the guards Adi Hale and Katlin McGill go. They both are dymanite scorers and can get their own shot. But they dont have a post game and only play 6 players, so they have to play smart. Dyersburg has probably the best combo with Chari Swift and Myah Taylor. When Dyersburg is playing as a team they are tough, when Taylor tries to go isolation, she takes some questionanble shots. That will need to be adressed before postseason time, also they turn the ball over a lot.

that's my point, UC girls dominate in West TN area in 1A and won't see a challenge until the state tourney. Hoping UC and Jackson Co. are in opposite brackets so they'll see each other again in the title game. Coe is the real deal. Glad to see her go Major D-1 at Univ.of Kentucky.. A solid women's program they have up there.

they could beat 95% of aa teams and coe is more than likely the best shooter in the state.don't bypass clarkrange they could end up at the show to.

LOL, I really intended for this to be a AA thread as we already have an A thread, but I agree, Union City is the best in this area in A ball bar none. I started out saying that I thought Westview and Dyersburg were the two for the west, but after watching Covington, they make a strong case for themselves. Their post players are legit receiving D1 interest and they have guard play that is really solid. Covingtons weak schedule is what will hurt them some. They have an easy walk all the way to substate.

Dyersburg and Covington are both super tough. We upset Marshall County (KY) last night in double OT, it was a good game. This is one of those years. We played very poorly against OC last week, but it looked like we just never got in to the game. Hopefully, our youth will continue to grow up and we can make a decent run. Good luck to all in the homestretch.

• 2 weeks later...

Update on AA in the west....

Dyersburg is sitting at 23-3 and should take regular season championship in 13AA.

Westview is currently sitting at 17-10 and in the 2 spot but have 2 HUGE district games against Dyersburg and Obion.

Obion is sitting at 20-7 and 3 spot with 3 district games left. The matchup against Westview will dictate a lot between the 2.

McNairy is sitting at 18-5 and in the drivers seat to take 14AA.

Chester is 15-8 and currently in the 2 spot with 3 district games left.

Lexington is 16-4 with 3 district losses and 2 district games left.

Covington is sitting at 16-5 and in the drivers seat for a 15AA regular season championship.

Craigmont is sitting at 15-3 and winning district games with ease. This looks like the team to beat down in Memphis.

• 2 weeks later...

Update:

13AA:

Westview defeats Obion 64-47

Dyersburg defeats South Gibson 85-57

Westview v. Dyersburg in the district championship on Saturday

14AA which is set to be played on 2/14:

Chester Co. v. Lexington

Jackson SS v. McNairy Central

15AA:

Covington defeats Haywood 69-39

Jackson NS defeats Liberty Tech 62-44