Fight at end of Pickett county and York game

mrbasketball

Well as being a fan that was at the game I felt like this was just horrible. I heard there was some "taunting" which you hear that in every game but a few of yorks players didn't like it and one ball player threw the first punch and it all broke loose from there. As for Pickett boys they showed great class I thought and never got involved so they as a team shouldn't have anything to worry about. The school on the other hand i dont know if anything will happen there or not. If I was guessing there will be a few York boys who won't get to play next week after this is reviewed which has been told will be done. My view in the is if you can't take some tAunting then you don't need to be playing sports because it happens every single day! I'm not saying being vulgar but from

What I heard there wasn't anything and come out of picketts student section but the kid who threw the punch did use some choice words... So i dont know you tell me

I have talked to a couple fans from each side and its a shame something like this happened. 1st off I hope none of the kids got hurt. From what I heard a student from PC (sitting behind the York bench) kept poking a York freshman in the back while he was on the bench. Coach Wright supposedly notified the officials and nothing was done. The freshman player threw a punch after being poked/pushed again, then the brawl starts. That is all hear-say. Both sides said PC players handled themselves well but 3 or 4 PC fans(grown men) were hitting and kicking York players. Again I hope no one was injured and both teams can play their tourneys. They can learn from this but any adult laying a hand on a player should be banned from attending any youth sport games indefinitely!

I have been going to Pickett County for 6 years and I have said it all along, the student section is out of hand.  It all starts with the principal.  Let the kids cheer, but make them be respectful.  I have saw teams unable to take time outs because of students getting right up in their ears and yelling.  My children have personally been hit, pinched and yelled at while on the bench.  This incident doesn't surprise me at all.  I blame the principal and the game facilitator for not keeping that section to a higher standard of not being rude.  I have been to games and saw individals thrown out for less than some of the things that student sections does.

As far as adults getting involved that should have NEVER HAPPENED.  There is no reason for an adult to put their hands on a player.  I hope it all turns out well for everyone involved.

GO BLUE DEVILS!!!!!

I have talked to a couple fans from each side and its a shame something like this happened. 1st off I hope none of the kids got hurt. From what I heard a student from PC (sitting behind the York bench) kept poking a York freshman in the back while he was on the bench. Coach Wright supposedly notified the officials and nothing was done. The freshman player threw a punch after being poked/pushed again, then the brawl starts. That is all hear-say. Both sides said PC players handled themselves well but 3 or 4 PC fans(grown men) were hitting and kicking York players. Again I hope no one was injured and both teams can play their tourneys. They can learn from this but any adult laying a hand on a player should be banned from attending any youth sport games indefinitely!

If adult put assaulted a minor and there is video evidence said adult should be arrested.

Coach informed game officials and nothing was done. Fans from opposing teams should never sit behind bench of opposition. If they do they should ask to move. If they refused should be removed from gym. Sounds to me like adults screwed this up. Problem could have been avoided if administration and security would have taken care of problem when coach informed them. Talk about punishing kids. What's going to happen to the adults that botched this to begin with.

I can tell you one thing it was t PC adilta that hit kids it was York adults and that was made clear by more then one that was down there and saw it. As far as PC student section I have been to plenty of games where the "student section" was out of control! All this will be on camera we will never know the full story regardless but I can say PC adults did not throw a single punch!! And when you threaten a ref by saying I'll take care of you in the parking lot I don't think that's very adult like it. We all want to win but this was to the extreme!

I can tell you one thing it was t PC adilta that hit kids it was York adults and that was made clear by more then one that was down there and saw it. As far as PC student section I have been to plenty of games where the "student section" was out of control! All this will be on camera we will never know the full story regardless but I can say PC adults did not throw a single punch!! And when you threaten a ref by saying I'll take care of you in the parking lot I don't think that's very adult like it. We all want to win but this was to the extreme!

I wasn't at the game but I was told by a PC fan about PC adults attacking players (may have been both). Like someone said earlier, could have been avoided. Upperman and Cookeville puts students on visitor side & it is asking for problems. Students should def be away from opposing bench and not on the visitors side. I love a good rowdy student section and they need to be protected as well as the players by keeping them separated.

Students behind the opposing team's bench is asking for trouble.  Several years ago, the Southeaster Conference had rule prohibiting this is football.  This is probably not a problem in high school football, but definitely can be in basketball.  TSSAA should look into this as a rule change for next year.

I follow both schools and this was very unfortunate. The York fans standing all night were on Pickett all night. The Pickett fans were loud too. But that is expected in a rivalry, especially when Picket with 200 kids beats York with nearly 700 kids,  about 3 games out of every 4. The officials tried to calm things down a little earlier drawing the teams together on the court. When the technical was called on Coach Wright, that is when it all started. A York player on the bench hit a Pickett fan. The biggest number  of the fans on the court were from the York side. I have gone to Pickett for nearly 20 years and their fans are never out of control. This isn't the first basketball fight York has been involved in (Upperman) and needs to be addressed. The PC players did not get involved. Both teams played hard are both are very talented. Maybe they should not play for a few years and let things cool. York doesn't play Clarkrange for this reason.

York and Clarkrange have not played for yrs due to dividing the county back in the 50's. I wish they did play now. Most of the girls went to grade school on the north end any way. I happen to know the young boy that was being poked in the back of the head. He is a great kid. I don't condone what happened but if it happened like they have said you can only take so much.