York, Pickett Co. boys teams banned from postseason after fight

CoachT

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If the article is correct...the administration is completely at fault for placing their student section behind the visitor bench!!! Thats just asking for trouble. But, also if the coaches comments are correct about the players not throwing any punches then why are the teams being punished? I think TSSAA is making a bad decision here. Home team should be fined for the actions of their student section, the students & fans that were fighting on the court should be identified & charges pressed & not allowed to attend games....but these young men should be allowed to play if everything I am reading is correct.

Edited by endofbcs

If the article is correct...the administration is completely at fault for placing their student section behind the visitor bench!!! Thats just asking for trouble. But, also if the coaches comments are correct about the players not throwing any punches then why are the teams being punished? I think TSSAA is making a bad decision here. Home team should be fined for the actions of their student section, the students & fans that were fighting on the court should be identified & charges pressed & not allowed to attend games....but these young men should be allowed to play if everything I am reading is correct.

I hate that the young men from these teams are having to take this punishment, especially the seniors. I don't believe I have ever heard of a punishment of this severity handed down by the TSSAA, and I think they are punishing the wrong people here. They ones involved should have been punished and leave it at that.

This is the reason you don't have the home student section directly behind the visitors bench. Are you LISTENING Wilson Central? Having immature young kids behind the visitors team bench is just asking for trouble. I guess finally someone in the student said something that got the situation started. If Pickett County is smart they will move the student section to another area or move the visitors team bench to a safer location.

Wilson central has the same set up with the visitors team bench in front of the students chering section. Over the years I've seen some close calls with students getting out of control and sercurity called in to control the crowd. Wouldn't it be simple to move the student section OR swap the team benchs. I believe in the students having fun but today some kids are just looking for something else than clean fun.

Bottom line the kids are being punished for something that was out of their control. Hope TSSAA changes their ruling on suspending the teams from playing in the upcoming tournaments.

My advice to Pickett County ..... Move the cheering section or the visitors team bench.

You may want to give this some serious consideration also WILSON CENTRAL.

No supervision that's the big problem. Most student sections have their SRO there to take care of these issues. Pickett didn't even have anyone in gym when this happen. They were out side or somewhere parents and coaches had it broke up before they got there. If you can control your gym done blame people when you get punished. York has not cried about they took their punishment because they were wrong and Pickett was wrong both got punished so stop crying.

No supervision that's the big problem. Most student sections have their SRO there to take care of these issues. Pickett didn't even have anyone in gym when this happen. They were out side or somewhere parents and coaches had it broke up before they got there. If you can control your gym done blame people when you get punished. York has not cried about they took their punishment because they were wrong and Pickett was wrong both got punished so stop crying.

It is clear that you are not very knowledgable. Where you at the game it sure doesn't sound like it and we did have people in the gym and for you to say York isn't fighting it I guess that's why they are appealing it too.. Please get all your facts straight before you comment again on here because most of everything you have said this far has been completely wrong for once please consider the players.

I hate that the young men from these teams are having to take this punishment, especially the seniors. I don't believe I have ever heard of a punishment of this severity handed down by the TSSAA, and I think they are punishing the wrong people here. They ones involved should have been punished and leave it at that.

Actually, the Maplewood and Stratford girls received the same punishment for a fight that happened just three years ago. They sat out the post-season also.

Fans are allowed to say what ever they want to. I've heard awful things sad at all different sorts of venues. Fans will be fans. From what I heard, a York player came off the bench and went after the fan and threw a punch. That's the player's fault. He should have had more control. Who got in trouble at the Brawl at the Palace at Auburn Hills? It was Ron Artest. He went into the stands. Yes he is a grown man, playing in the NBA, but these kids know better. I don't know what the student-fan said, he probably said something he shouldn't have, but just cause you don't like it, doesn't mean you can just go around punching people. Have a little self-control young man.

TSSAA reduces this to probation if they have any sense about them. Pickett Co. Boys weren't even involved from what I gather.

Just my 2 cents.....