Finals show

tnlonghorn

I believe the only people who support it being at the "cow palace" are the middle tenn folks. The wrestlers, coaches and fans all hate it there. But we can belly ache all we want. Its a money pit for the tssaa and isnt moving anytime soon

I'm a "mid tenn6" folk, and I don't support it being there. We all don't like that venue. In fact there's only a couple that do, but they're the couple that matter.

Yes I do, do you? If they change the name to Williamson County Arena it's ok???? Both have dirt floors, both hold livestock, both have same open floor space around mats.

http://lightyinfocus.wordpress.com/2013/12/16/rodeo-and-a-bonus/

Admittedly I've never been in the facility. But just by looking at the pictures, at least the seating is more conducive to things other than livestock shows. And I don't know if they have showers.

So in essence, what you're saying if it's good enough for Kentucky, it's good enough for Tennessee (although their facility blows away ours by looking at the pics)?

I suppose you're one of those that just accepts the fact our tournament facilities are the worst in the USA so just accept it. Well, that's fine. I suppose somebody has to be the worst.

But I will not shut up about this until it gets changed. No matter how annoying I become or how many people I piss off. The kids deserve a first class facility. Not a dump.

Edited by Newestguy

Admittedly I've never been in the facility. But just by looking at the pictures, at least the seating is more conducive to things other than livestock shows. And I don't know if they have showers.

So in essence, what you're saying if it's good enough for Kentucky, it's good enough for Tennessee (although their facility blows away ours by looking at the pics)?

I suppose you're one of those that just accepts the fact our tournament facilities are the worst in the USA so just accept it. Well, that's fine. I suppose somebody has to be the worst.

But I will not shut up about this until it gets changed. No matter how annoying I become or how many people I piss off. The kids deserve a first class facility. Not a dump.

I'm on board. 100%. Let us come together and get it moved. I'll start a campaign. If you want to try and help please send me a facebook request. Since nobody seems to want to do anything I'll at least try. I'll need a lot of help.

Ben Reichel

Edited by russianbear

I agree with you to a point. However, stop complaining and take action. Simply posting complaints over and over on a discussion board actually loses credibility. Then when you post other venues that you feel are better, but are actually the same, it further diminishes your cause. Come up with a solution and present it. Don't just say another venue. Find one, determine the cost, square footage, Concessions and parking agreements, etc.... Heck, I will volunteer my time to help you if you truly want to put together a plan.

I agree with you to a point. However, stop complaining and take action. Simply posting complaints over and over on a discussion board actually loses credibility. Then when you post other venues that you feel are better, but are actually the same, it further diminishes your cause. Come up with a solution and present it. Don't just say another venue. Find one, determine the cost, square footage, Concessions and parking agreements, etc.... Heck, I will volunteer my time to help you if you truly want to put together a plan

Edited by Newestguy

I'm on board. 100%. Let us come together and get it moved. I'll start a campaign. If you want to try and help please send me a facebook request. Since nobody seems to want to do anything I'll at least try. I'll need a lot of help.

Ben Reichel

As Sports Information Director at Riverdale High School for several years now, I am pretty familiar with TSSAA events.

The Spring Fling (we are a host site for baseball) and Football Championships are now put out to bid.  Murfreesboro won the Spring Fling Bid and Cookeville won in Football.  

Perhaps finds communities willing to bid on the Wrestling Tournaments? Keep in mind there are two, Teams and then Individuals.

I have made several suggestions to TSSAA over the years. Some they have implemented, a lot they haven't (can we say post-season football???)

If you feel you can find a better venue for this awesome event (I am amazed at the camaraderie between competitors, the sportsmanship opposing coaches show each other and how coaches for one school root for and care for wrestlers of other schools, something other sports could learn from) I suggest getting with your school's wrestling coach and drawing up a proposal to the TSSAA. 

One of the items in the proposal will have to be a budget. The cost of the venue's use.  Keep in mind the 'hidden' costs, such as security and arena workers' time (usually on overtime).  Its availability. The commitment of the community to provide volunteers.

The logistics of a state championship in any sport is mind-boggling.  It may appear calm above the water, but below the water the legs are swimming pretty hard. You have to find people willing to be there before the gates open (7:00am) and stay for about 2 or 3 hours after the last fan leaves to clean up and get ready for the next day.

I can attest to one thing. The person in charge of wrestling in this state truly cares about the sport and wants the best for it. He is, as my late papa would say, "Good People."  

Hope to see you are a ball field soon!

David Limbaugh

Sports Information Director

Riverdale High School

www.riverdalewarriors.com

Edited by davidlimbaugh

While this was my sons first high school state, I have seen much worse places.  No its not top notch.  But it was better than last year. I heard no wrestler complaining about the floor not level just parents.  Maybe  instead of griping about moving  it , gripe about what can be done to fix what will make it better there. The atmosphere was kind of dull for the finals. Maybe instead of a five hour break, wrestle one mat each division separately.  Something like at 12:00 d-1    3:00 d-2  6:00 d-3.  You wouldn't lose money this way. The division you came to watch would then be highlighted giving the finals the attention it deserves. With three mats going it was too much to take in, and if there were 2 or more big matches to watch you couldn't watch all of it. There were some matches I wanted to see from other divisions, but didn't get to see anything but who won or not even who won because I was watching the other match. Or if there was a big roar I had to ask what happened because I was watching another mat. Separation of the finals would allow more people to concentrate on the one match. Then immediately after the finals have the podium sitting there waiting while the energy for that match is still there. Or one match later so the loser can have time to calm. Then you could also take the time to award the medals while there is no matches being wrestled. separate them and  highlight the mat. It takes 2 hours for a dual, add 5 minutes between each match for awards and announcement of next match 12*5 is 60. This is 3 hours per division. Hosting counties probably last because of less drive time.  Just saying Decent venue (needs work) All of those who worked to get this much done   "THANK YOU"  Would I like it to be at the municipal or Bridgestone?  Heck Yeah, But till then lets fix the problems here.

I'm a "mid tenn6" folk, and I don't support it being there. We all don't like that venue. In fact there's only a couple that do, but they're the couple that matter.

I also am from middle tn and i do not support it either. The only thing i think us middle tn folks like about it is the location. Not the venue itself. I would much rather have it at Bridgestone or Municipal. Or even Memorial Gym or any of the other local college basketball arenas. Luckily when i was in school it was still held at McKenzie so i never had to actually wrestle at the cow palace. But its supposed to be about the kids. And as a wrestler, i would rather have it at a nice venue thats a couple hours away, than at a crappy one down the street. Its not about gas money, its about the kids looking forward to the state tournament. Nobody wants to wrestle their butts off to get to the state tournament just to wrestle at a worse place than where they have there own home duals. The TSSAA is making it about themselves. And they have to be stopped. We need to take a stand against TSSAA. File a petition, file a lawsuit, do SOMETHING to make sure this gets changed

• Upvote 1

While this was my sons first high school state, I have seen much worse places.  No its not top notch.  But it was better than last year. I heard no wrestler complaining about the floor not level just parents.  Maybe  instead of griping about moving  it , gripe about what can be done to fix what will make it better there. The atmosphere was kind of dull for the finals. Maybe instead of a five hour break, wrestle one mat each division separately.  Something like at 12:00 d-1    3:00 d-2  6:00 d-3.  You wouldn't lose money this way. The division you came to watch would then be highlighted giving the finals the attention it deserves. With three mats going it was too much to take in, and if there were 2 or more big matches to watch you couldn't watch all of it. There were some matches I wanted to see from other divisions, but didn't get to see anything but who won or not even who won because I was watching the other match. Or if there was a big roar I had to ask what happened because I was watching another mat. Separation of the finals would allow more people to concentrate on the one match. Then immediately after the finals have the podium sitting there waiting while the energy for that match is still there. Or one match later so the loser can have time to calm. Then you could also take the time to award the medals while there is no matches being wrestled. separate them and  highlight the mat. It takes 2 hours for a dual, add 5 minutes between each match for awards and announcement of next match 12*5 is 60. This is 3 hours per division. Hosting counties probably last because of less drive time.  Just saying Decent venue (needs work) All of those who worked to get this much done   "THANK YOU"  Would I like it to be at the municipal or Bridgestone?  Heck Yeah, But till then lets fix the problems here.

Let me just throw this out there. Thinking outside the box. What if we used buckeyeintn's schedule, but the weights and divisions were blind drawn Friday night for the finals? This would be especially exciting if team scores were close.

For example 145 A-AA was the first match D2 170 was second match, A-AA 132 was third, A-AAA 106 next, etc.

Edited by russianbear