Outstanding Wrestler Awards

matguy94

What I was trying to say in my post was that you might want to understand the question before you give an answer. The post you were responding to wanted to know what the credentials were that impacted the ow decision at the tournament. The proper response would have been to list the wrestlers beaten and how quickly and badly they had been beaten. The wrong response is to become offended and list a five year resume. I have to admit, however I never considered the oooo and aaaahh factor.

Jackhole? Bad day? At least bring something to the conversation other than insults. By the way, "I don't know" = less than nothing.

Oliver was so far above his opponents and clearly on another level. I don't recall the people sitting behind me Oooing and ahhhing over any other wrestler. His dominance was unmistakeable and obvious.

People were probably not "oooing and ahhhing" over Popp because they didn't get to see him wrestle. His entire tournament consisted of 3 mins and 1 sec. If you blinked, you might've missed it. I guess the OW is given to the guy who puts on the best takedown show and not to the guy who tries to get the most team points.

The officials are the ones who vote for OW. All are deserving, there are many that are deserving each year, these are the men that were chosen. Many years it has been given as a career award, not for the best tournament performance. Oliver and Debien were obvious choices and are both deserving and had great tournaments. You can debate the significance of quick pins v. Tech falls, etc, but don't take shots at kids that have no control over OW voting. All are accomplished and worthy. Oliver had an outstanding tournament and wrestled his style, Popp his, Connell his, etc. FYI, Nick Marable was never given the award, even after winning Fargo and defeating a multiple time state champion in the finals. He seems to have survived this snub and done ok.

Chris Lewis

CBHS