If you want the State Tournament moved, please sign up

russianbear

Just moving the facility gwh. Ideally we will get the Bridgestone Arena.

Reprinted with permission:

I just wrote this to the TSSAA and submitted it to their "feedback" sections on their website. Hey I know it's like spitting in the wind but I feel better. I think we need a top down and grassroots effort. Like Lee Varnell said get the legends involved (Jackson, Henry, Miller, Logdson, Eslinger...etc) but also work it from the bottom as well. Here it was:

Dear TSSAA,

I am a paying fan, former TSSAA ref, current USA wrestling coach, former college wrestling coach (NCWA), and former UTC wrestler. So you can see I love the sport and I hope the TSSAA does as well. I also am sure that you all mean well and have some good reasoning as to the location. 

My reasons for wanting the venue changed are:
1. Unsanitary conditions.
A. No showers for the wrestlers or refs
B. Walking through mud and dirt to enter. When I reffed the state tourney a few years back the back entrance was a dirt parking lot.
C. Indoor air quality very poor. Too much dust and dirt in the air. Terrible for people with allergies. My eyes were burning after one day in the venue.
2. Safety - Uneven mats are dangerous to wrestlers and refs. Before the finals this year, the AAA had to be moved because of a large pot hole underneath the mat.
3. Professionalism - I applaud you for the light show and video, etc. that you implemented this year, but the bottom line is this is an Agricultural Center and no matter how much "lip stick" you put on it, its still an AG Center.
As a fan, I would gladly pay $15 per day and $10 per day for parking if this was in a more professional venue. Please, for the sake of the students/athletes health and experience change the venue. Is this the best we can do? I don't believe so. Sincerely and Respectfully, Guy T. Harris.

Edited by russianbear

I think the best option for a message board is to get ideas and make a proposal to the TSSAA Board.  Use the message board as you are doing as a sounding board for options and opinions to get the best possible proposal.  Do the research, get the income/cost for another facility and make a proposal to the TSSAA.

I wish you the best of luck as the wrestlers deserve better.

Edited by hoosierdad
  • Upvote 1

Good to see people speaking out to make wrestling more attractive in Tennessee. I have attended the last two state tournaments at the Ag Expo and agree with the majority that the venue needs to change.  I strongly feel it needs to change to an arena setting that is similar to what it was when the tournament was at the McKenzie Arena.  The arena atmosphere is a big deal to kids whether some feel it is or not.  The arena is another factor in attracting kids to a sport that will allow them to work hard and be rewarded with wrestling on a big stage...and yes, the Round of 32 in AAA, Round of 16 in AA and D2 is a big stage.  Believe it or not, the youth wrestlers will be attracted to coming to watch the state tournament because of the "cool" factor.  Personal experience...when I was in 8th grade wrestling in Illinois my father decided to take me to watch the IHSA state tournament in Champaign, IL.  I can't explain how awesome it was to be in that type of environment watching the best wresters in Illinois.  I was instantly driven to succeed in Wrestling.  I was instantly daydreaming of winning a state championship on the arena flow, etc, etc.  Sorry to ramble....the "cool" factor will work.

Here are some of my opinions of improvements to the State Tourney:

1. Arena setting in location that is centrally located but also has plenty to do between rounds/sessions.  Hotels, restaurants, bars within walking distance of the arena.  The tourney could become an annual trip for casual fans like NCAA's because their is plenty to do outside of just wrestling.

2. Ticket sales - Sell tickets per session or sell all-sessions passes with Adult, student, and AAU/USA card holder pricing.  If the all-sessions pass is attractive enough, people will be more inclined to stay through finals rather than leave early.  The goal has to be to keep everyone around the final day.

3. Finals Parade:  TSSAA is on the right track.  Video, spotlight is a step in the right direction but fans need a jumbotron and wrestlers need more of an elaborate introduction.  Go back to the bio that used to be done.  I always felt Tennessee did that right in the past.  

4. Start the consolation semi's and medal rounds earlier on Saturday and move the State finals back to mid-afternoon anytime in between 3-4 pm.  This might not be a huge deal but could help with people sticking around.

Those are just opinionated suggestions.  

There was nothing like back in the day when they had 14 wrestlers on each side of the mat in the middle, give full bios, parents names, record, school name and coaches name, do the next wrestler and they would run into the middle shake hands and boom it was on! Loved seeing it when I was a kid watching state and when I was wrestling myself.

Good to see people speaking out to make wrestling more attractive in Tennessee. I have attended the last two state tournaments at the Ag Expo and agree with the majority that the venue needs to change.  I strongly feel it needs to change to an arena setting that is similar to what it was when the tournament was at the McKenzie Arena.  The arena atmosphere is a big deal to kids whether some feel it is or not.  The arena is another factor in attracting kids to a sport that will allow them to work hard and be rewarded with wrestling on a big stage...and yes, the Round of 32 in AAA, Round of 16 in AA and D2 is a big stage.  Believe it or not, the youth wrestlers will be attracted to coming to watch the state tournament because of the "cool" factor.  Personal experience...when I was in 8th grade wrestling in Illinois my father decided to take me to watch the IHSA state tournament in Champaign, IL.  I can't explain how awesome it was to be in that type of environment watching the best wresters in Illinois.  I was instantly driven to succeed in Wrestling.  I was instantly daydreaming of winning a state championship on the arena flow, etc, etc.  Sorry to ramble....the "cool" factor will work.

Here are some of my opinions of improvements to the State Tourney:

1. Arena setting in location that is centrally located but also has plenty to do between rounds/sessions.  Hotels, restaurants, bars within walking distance of the arena.  The tourney could become an annual trip for casual fans like NCAA's because their is plenty to do outside of just wrestling.

2. Ticket sales - Sell tickets per session or sell all-sessions passes with Adult, student, and AAU/USA card holder pricing.  If the all-sessions pass is attractive enough, people will be more inclined to stay through finals rather than leave early.  The goal has to be to keep everyone around the final day.

3. Finals Parade:  TSSAA is on the right track.  Video, spotlight is a step in the right direction but fans need a jumbotron and wrestlers need more of an elaborate introduction.  Go back to the bio that used to be done.  I always felt Tennessee did that right in the past.  

4. Start the consolation semi's and medal rounds earlier on Saturday and move the State finals back to mid-afternoon anytime in between 3-4 pm.  This might not be a huge deal but could help with people sticking around.

Those are just opinionated suggestions.  

MFerguson, I couldn't agree more. I grew up in Indiana and when I was in 8th grade I saw the IHSAA State Championship at Market Square Arena (where the Pacers used to play) in Downtown Indianapolis. As shallow as it might sound, it WAS A HUGE deal. I daydreamed not just of winning a state title, but of competing in the same venue that the Pacers played. I can't tell you how many hours I spent visualizing myself competing there. I would stare at the championship program (sadly TN no longer has one) for hours on end as it had a picture of 8 mats on the arena floor on its cover. 

Would I had wrestled and been successful if the state tournament was in a cow barn? Maybe. But I can only speak of my own personal experience and what it meant to me.

Russianbear, great point about the program book.  The program book has to be available.  The program book needs the group photo of the state champs.  One step further, TSSAA could add an individual head shot of the previous year state champ on the bracket page for each weight class.  Illinois used to do that but I don't think they do anymore.  I thought that was so awesome as a kid. I used to stare at the mugshots of broken noses, black eyes, and looks of pure joy.  Last but not least....TSSAA MUST HONOR ALL PAST STATE CHAMPIONS IN THE PROGRAM BOOK.  They used to do that but I missed it in the program book I had to print online. Yes, i said print online.

Last, program books are collectors items for fans, wrestlers, and families of qualifiers. We collected all of mine, my brothers', and nephew's program books.  Well, we printed my nephew's program book this year...haha!