If you want the State Tournament moved, please sign up

russianbear

Maybe to rotating sites................

Suggestions.........reference point Ag Expo seats 4,200 Main arena floor 45,000 sq ft

Nashville - Municipal Auditorium- seats 9,600, Main arena floor 63,000 sq ft.

Chattanooga - Mckenzie Arena proven location, note is there floor space for 12 mats, is there an optional location in Chatt.

Knoxville - Thompson Bowling - is there another option? Again is there floor space for 12 mats

Memphis - Pyramid?? Any other options

Each year the event moves in some rotation process, as well as, the duals and individual would never be in the same location in the same year

Any locations ideas...... To place 12 mats with space around, need at least 40,000 sq ft min.

Oh well, ........... "California Dreaming"

Another possible site in Knoxville would be Civic Auditorium (have to work around the Ice Bears schedule, though). If you want to add an upper-east site to the rotation, go with King U. Carson-Newman would also be a possibility.

The Pyramid is no longer usable--it's basically now a giant Bass Pro Shops. Nothing really left between the FedExForum (not bloody likely) and the on-campus UMem gym (the minor-league hockey arena is actually in Mississippi).

My name is Ben Reichel and I’ve spent much of my life involved in the sport of wrestling. From pee wee leagues, middle school, high school to college as a competitor, fan, coach and parent. Wrestling has been very good to me in several different ways. It has given me recognition, completely paid for all my secondary education, and has brought irreplaceable relationship into my life.

Since I’ve lived in Tennessee I’ve had the opportunity to witness the TSSAA Wrestling State Championship both as a fan and as a coach. I’ve seen Tennessee wrestling grow in participants, fans, and competitiveness among all age groups.

To a wrestler, the pinnacle of events is the annual high school state tournament. Tennessee is blessed to have an overwhelming number of volunteers who strive each year to conduct a first class ‘Superbowl’ of wrestling.  However, over the last five years, there is one thing that deeply concerns me. The venue used to conduct this first class event is not first class. In fact, it’s unclean, unsafe and frankly an embarrassment to wrestling fans state wide. The issues are many, far too many to solve other than changing venues.

1) No shower facilities

2) Uneven ground under mats

3) Dirt and dust which triggers allergies

4) Very high risk of skin infection

5) Leaking roofs above competition mats

6) Nowhere to change except the public restrooms for over 800 athletes and 70 referees

7) Nonexistent insulation resulting in very cold and drafty air throughout the complex including                   on the floor for competitors

8) Terrible sight views for fans

9) Nowhere for competitors to warm up once wrestling begins

In short, an Agricultural center is conducive for agricultural shows, not wrestling tournaments. I understand that there is no charge for the facility, but everything has a cost. How much do we really want to charge the student athletes? Do we want to rob them of a well deserved first class experience? I think we can do much better. I’m willing to help in any way I can to improve the experience for these young men. Thank you.

Sincerely

Ben Reichel          `

Ben,

I will support you 100% but you have got to get the facts straight and put a real business plan together. These people that think we can get the civic centers from our major metropolitan areas are dreaming.  Sorry, that's reality.  Been there done, that,  I wish I could tell you differently.  Reality  is...  if the TSSAA did not charge for parking...they loose money.   I've seen the real numbers.....that's the facts.  most people think that because the ag center is free..so are the expenses...not so!

Lets put a real business plan together. it can be done, but not by throwing around unsubstantiated numbers. 

cb

• Upvote 1

In the Knoxville area: Civic Auditorium/Coliseum not where near large enough to hold the number of mates need.  Thompson Boling Arena will not hold the 12 mats needed and the COST would ridiculous! I know what was paid to rent it for the last 2 AAU Junior Olympic Games! The suggestion of Carson Newman and King Univ. is not a good one due to lack of space and parking.

In this area you would have a few choices: Knoxville Convention Center, Pigeon Forge Convention Center, and/or the new Convention center complex that is being built in Gatlinburg (will hold 16 mats), or Walter State has an Ag Complex just like the one they have in Williamson county.  One other spot is the Sevierville Convention Center/Wilderness complex.  Plenty of room but expense is high.

I hope they never move it to downtown Nashville, traffic and coast would be high.

MTSU may be a possibility.  Large arena and plenty of parking.

Of all the complaints I have heard or seen stated here the ones that really draw a major concern of mine is: 1. no shower/dressing room area; 2. dust/allergies (i had to use allergy med and allergy eye drops all weekend); 

The people from Williamson County did a MARVELOUS JOB working and operating the event and made me feel welcome! 

Td2 you keep saying you have seen the figures and know what they are so bring them! I know they made money when they had it in Chattanooga and there they paid for the cost of the Arena and did not make money off parking as the parking garages there and the lots to the side were not ran by TSSAA so how are they losing money doing it at the Ag Center when they pay nothing for it and they get the revenue for parking? Makes no sense and either someone lied on the papers you have seen or they are worse with money than I thought they were! I have been told by Mr Reeves that even last year attendance was higher than it was when it was at UTC Arena so numbers are just not working out here. Now I do agree a plan needs to come together for all this and I am more than happy anyway I can for it with Ben.

I would be very happy to work with everyone on putting a plan together that includes business proposals, wrestlers experience, fans experience, etc...  My family is part of Wrestler Supply, which is a new business.  If it continues to grow then we have future plans of giving back to Tennessee wrestling the best way we can at ALL levels. 

Anyway, count me in with working on a plan with everyone!

• Upvote 1