Connell, Sutherland Advance at Nat'l Prep Tourney

bbb

McCallie senior Adam Connell and Baylor junior Blake Sutherland are 2-1 through this afternoons action at the 89th National Prep Wrestling Championship at Lehigh (Pa.) University.

McCallie senior Griffin Davis has lost twice.

(9) Adam Connell

Round of 32: tech fall Owen Schubert (New Brunswich), 15-0

Round of 16:  lost to (8) Brandon Walker (Woodberry Forest), 6-4

Consolation - 2nd Match ,,, pinned Gavin Fujimori (Middlesex School), New England, 4:29

Blake Sutherland

Round of 32

lost to Brent Waterman (The Hill School), 11-5

Consolation: pinned. Jad Qaddourah (Greens Farm Acad,), 0:43

tech fall Garrett Neff (Good Counsel), 15-0

Griffin Davis

Round of 32

default to Jake Savoka (Wyoming Seminary)

Consolation: lost to Lewis Riggs (Dematha HS) 9-3

contact B.B. Branton at william.branton@comcast.net

Edited by bbb

Congratulations to those three wrestlers.  I only wish that more D2 wrestlers would have had the opportunity to enter the tournament but it is my understanding the National Preps would only take the Tennessee wrestlers if they had a vacancy in the 32 man bracket.  I have been told that Gordon Connell is going to meet with the National Prep people and try to get 2 automatic qualifiers per weight classification for next year.  If Tennessee does get 2 qualifiers it should equate to more D2 wrestlers signing with NCAA D1 programs due to the exposure and prestige of the National Prep Tournament.  In the future I see the National Prep Tournament being the ultimate goal for all Tennessee D2 wrestlers. 

Congratulations to those three wrestlers.  I only wish that more D2 wrestlers would have had the opportunity to enter the tournament but it is my understanding the National Preps would only take the Tennessee wrestlers if they had a vacancy in the 32 man bracket.  I have been told that Gordon Connell is going to meet with the National Prep people and try to get 2 automatic qualifiers per weight classification for next year.  If Tennessee does get 2 qualifiers it should equate to more D2 wrestlers signing with NCAA D1 programs due to the exposure and prestige of the National Prep Tournament.  In the future I see the National Prep Tournament being the ultimate goal for all Tennessee D2 wrestlers. 

my understanding is any 2014 champion could have wrestled at Lehigh

Well it ended in heartbreak for both Adam and Blake. Both were one match away and wrestling really well. I didn't get to see all of Adams match as he and Blake were up at the same time but I think it was 5-2, he got reversed and caught for 3 back points . Blake was up 5-1 with 30 seconds against a thrower. The kid double under hooked him and Blake threw him but somehow they got in a weird scramble and he came up with a deep half and pinned him. Very heartbreaking. The tournament is phenomenol !! I hope all the d2 kids get to go next year. Every aspect of the tournament is top notch! We were wild cards and just went into whatever slot was available if any. Adam didn't even have a spot until late last night when someone didn't show up.

Edited by YOUTHCOACH16

Well it ended in heartbreak for both Adam and Blake. Both were one match away and wrestling really well. I didn't get to see all of Afams match as he and Blake were up at the same time but I think it was 5-2, he got reversed and caught for 3 back points . Blake was up 5-1 with 30 seconds against a thrower. The kid double under hooked him and Blake threw him but somehow they got in a weird scramble and he came up with a deep half and pinned him. Very heartbreaking. The tournament is phenomenol !! I hope all the d2 kids get to go next year. Every aspect of the tournament is top notch! We were wild cards and just went into whatever slot was available if any. Adam didn't even have a spot until late last night when someone didn't show up.

Sounds like an awesome experience Mike. Not sure where the kids were from that Blake and Adam wrestled but I've noticed this year that a big difference in our wrestling in the South is that we are not as physical as in other places. I've seen some hand fighting that I'm not sure our refs would let go but you better have your headgear strapped on,  very heavy hands....careful on the way back home.

Sounds like an awesome experience Mike. Not sure where the kids were from that Blake and Adam wrestled but I've noticed this year that a big difference in our wrestling in the South is that we are not as physical as in other places. I've seen some hand fighting that I'm not sure our refs would let go but you better have your headgear strapped on, very heavy hands....careful on the way back home.

Big man you nailed it on the head!! This was the most physical wrestling I've ever seen. Blake was litterally pile drived in the first match and at home he would have been dq 'd. They didn't even stop it. Blake didn't know where he was for a whole period and gave up 5 Pts. He tried a desperation throw at the end was how it ended up 11-5. Adam nearly had his shoulder ripped out of socket on the reversal that cost him his match. Full 32 man brackets in every weight and I didn't see one controversial call other than them letting potentially dangerous situations go too far. Very physical, very intense wrestling. The refs let the kids decide it . I only saw one coach argue anything and that was Olympic champ Kendall Cross. This tournament is really good and I hope they can work it out so more people can attend.

Edited by YOUTHCOACH16

Attended the meeting shortly before the quarters Friday afternoon, approximately 80 coaches in attendance; there was an overwhelming sense of support for Tennessee to gain 1 qualifier/ wt class for next year. I was surprised by the quality of the wrestling; obviously we expected Blair and Wyoming Seminary to be tough, but there is some very good wrestling beyond those guys. Our boys represented the state well, even though both lost heartbreakers that prevented them from placing. The venue was awesome, such a step up from the embarrassment we use for our state tournament. Too bad we couldn't represent our schools; but our boys looked okay in their team Tennessee uniforms.

• Upvote 3

Big man you nailed it on the head!! This was the most physical wrestling I've ever seen. Blake was litterally pile drived in the first match and at home he would have been dq 'd. They didn't even stop it

When you have a standard set some 9-10 years ago by one of our senior and most tenured officials Kenny Mara, who's gonna let it get that physical here? Anyone recall the last few seconds of the Scooter Houston -Creagan match?

Now how's that for memory WG? You were just out of diapers then ï¼¼(^o^)ï¼

Edited by Sommers