McNairy Central Football 2014

First, it was great to see the energy and passion the coaching staff was showing. It's been missing for awhile and I think it is a big part of getting the program built back up. I believe kids respond and want to play for this style of coaching better than the past.

I think the scrimmage went really good. It hurt not having Hodge in place until the very end of the school year. He still trying to observe all the kids and how they play and where to play. We had no starting offense or defense as we had different rotations that would alternate after possessions. We played a ton of kids. So, it is kinda hard just to see where we are at as offense and defense starter units.

Coming out of the scrimmage, defense is the biggest concern. A lot of focus has to put into this of the ball. Some kids played their positions well when they played so when you put them all together, it may look better but there is some work to do in certain areas. On offense, It looks like the offense can be good. Thought both offensive lines done well and had a lot of skill players make plays. Newsome and Wynn were the running backs and Newsome ran really well. He had a lot of good runs last year when he got the chance to carry the ball. Looks like he can have a big year this year. The freshmen Wynn is going to be a big time back by the time he graduates. He made a lot of good runs, still things he has to learn and get use to at this level, but he is going to be really good. I would like to see him in the slot some this year to have both them on the field at the same time. Biggest concern on offense is at QB. Going off the scrimmage, there is an obvious choice on who should be playing the position but this whole deal has been discussed in this thread, so we will have to see how this plays out.

The biggest thing I noticed, all the skills players that made plays are juniors and below. Quite a few freshman got to play in the rotation and made plays. When the freshmen game was going on, at least five of the freshmen stayed with varsity and played with them. Also, a lot of sophomores contributed. By the roster, we have 80 players and at least 50 of them are freshmen and sophomores. We got a young team but they they are getting a lot of experience.

Overall, the season is going to depend on finding the right combination on defense and how they play. I think the offense will be good but it can't turn into a season like last year where the offense can put up points but the defense cant stop anyone.

wow sounds like i lot of decisions to still be made.   i was curious about qb spot as i had heard rumblings too.  Ill reserve my comments.  The wynn kid is the real deal and i am interested in seeing how he adjusts to getting hit this year and the next few since no one in junior high could catch him enough to hit him.  Good luck we will see you in a few weeks

wow sounds like i lot of decisions to still be made.   i was curious about qb spot as i had heard rumblings too.  Ill reserve my comments.  The wynn kid is the real deal and i am interested in seeing how he adjusts to getting hit this year and the next few since no one in junior high could catch him enough to hit him.  Good luck we will see you in a few weeks

Wrong kid referred...my error

I'm sure your comments will be no different than mine or many others. Wynn made some good hard runs especially when he got to the outside. But, there was some runs on the inside when you could tell he was hesitant to hit the hole and it caused for a small gain. Other times, he would hit it hard and pick up good yards. That's going to be his big adjustment. He needs to get hit one good time and get that feel of what it's like and I think he will be ok. Yup, see y'all in a few after both of us come off big games. Good luck to y'all.

WHS, Wynn was never at Dresden. He is coming up from one of our junior high schools.

• 2 weeks later...

IT'S GO TIME!!! The wait is somewhat over for a new chapter in McNairy football to begin. A lot of excitement from the community and the players. The Bobcats will field a team of 90 players and they have not been close to those numbers in a long time!!! Last week with a scrimmage against Haywood and Halls, the Cats made big strides from the week before against Mckenzie and played really well. Hope to see more strides made tonight and see the continuing improvement leading up to week 1. I think we are going to have a good year and surprise some people. But that could be the excitment talking and it could be another lackluster season. But, there's a different attitude with this year's team!! Good luck to everyone tonight and hope everyone makes it out injury free!!!

Edited by LetMeHearYA

Well, tonight was not good at all. It look like we are back to square 1. Not even close to the team from last week. Dominated on the lines, receivers and running backs uncovered all night on pass plays and overall just outplayed everywhere. I wished they would have played with a starting offense and defense and let the units get some time playing together. I just think the split squads on O and D right now are not as helpful. But, hopefully they will get things worked out and really like a lot of things Hodge as brought. I m pulling for him to get this program turned around.

Both Hodge brother would rather loose scrimmages or jamborees just to build confidence and position depth. Seen it too many times at Dresden. Keith has set starters in district championship games to have them fresh for playoff games. Think MC will be vastly improved this year and only better years to come. Hard not to get excited about your program with a Hodge in charge.......