Fan Base

Jonesy856

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I may be wrong but I dont think OR never went that long being down. Maybe two or three years.

We have had bad years sprinkled in here and there, but have only had 5 losing seasons since 1943 and 2 of those were when Stanton was the coach. over 600 wins all time with around 180 losses. Not bad.

Edited by GaddisTossSweep

No and all that was mostly with the big dogs 6A. But I dont see much diffrance in 6A and 5A

I don't either. A good team is a good team regardless of classification. Fulton could've played with and beaten most 6A schools in the state last year and they were 4A. All that hoopla is overrated in my opinion. Alcoa proves that time and time again. Yes, before 6A we were in 5A and most of our great work was done when their was just 3 classifications, which to me was much tougher.

Easily Dobyns Bennett.  I am a fan, but I am putting any bias to the side.  I have lived in Nashville since 2000 and at some point, I have seen every school that would be in this conversation around here.  I have also seen every Knoxville area school, Chattanooga area schools, Henry Co, etc. A bad opponent and a low turnout for DB would be 6,000.  6,000 would be a record for most schools.  Some of the big games draw 12,000 - 15,000.  DB fans travel in amazing numbers.  In the 2012 quarterfinal versus Maryville, DB no doubt had 50% of the fans there, even taking over a huge chunk out of the Maryville home side.  I would estimate that game at 8,000-9,000.   I will note that Maryville winning so much, has hurt their overall turnout.  

Easily Dobyns Bennett.  I am a fan, but I am putting any bias to the side.  I have lived in Nashville since 2000 and at some point, I have seen every school that would be in this conversation around here.  I have also seen every Knoxville area school, Chattanooga area schools, Henry Co, etc. A bad opponent and a low turnout for DB would be 6,000.  6,000 would be a record for most schools.  Some of the big games draw 12,000 - 15,000.  DB fans travel in amazing numbers.  In the 2012 quarterfinal versus Maryville, DB no doubt had 50% of the fans there, even taking over a huge chunk out of the Maryville home side.  I would estimate that game at 8,000-9,000.   I will note that Maryville winning so much, has hurt their overall turnout.  

They also have some of the most annoying fans ever, too. Went to a Farragut /DB game a few years ago and sat on the DB side. While they were nice people a few of the guys the whole time never shut up about how DB is the greatest sports program to grace the United States lol. I mean it was all night long, son! DB this DB that. I understand being proud od your team, but goodness gracious lol DB is Gods gift to sports in some of their eyes.

They also have some of the most annoying fans ever, too. Went to a Farragut /DB game a few years ago and sat on the DB side. While they were nice people a few of the guys the whole time never shut up about how DB is the greatest sports program to grace the United States lol. I mean it was all night long, son! DB this DB that. I understand being proud od your team, but goodness gracious lol DB is Gods gift to sports in some of their eyes.

That is a statement that can be made for any school, including Oak Ridge.  If every school were to be judged on the basis of a few annoying fans, we would all be half nuts by now.  If you don't have some of these guys, you don't have a significant base of fans.

That is a statement that can be made for any school, including Oak Ridge.  If every school were to be judged on the basis of a few annoying fans, we would all be half nuts by now.  If you don't have some of these guys, you don't have a significant base of fans.

Yeah we have a few too i'm sure. No doubt about that. Them guys were off the wall though. It was definitely entertaining. Hey, you know DB has the most basketball wins in US history, right? We probably have the most tradition in baseball, too did you know that? Our band is the greatest band to ever grace a trumpet and trombone lol By the way we have the most tennis titles in world history (kidding on that one)

Edited by GaddisTossSweep

Yeah we have a few too i'm sure. No doubt about that. Them guys were off the wall though. It was definitely entertaining. Hey, you know DB has the most basketball wins in US history, right? We probably have the most tradition in baseball, too did you know that? Our band is the greatest band to ever grace a trumpet and trombone lol By the way we have the most tennis titles in world history (kidding on that one)

If we're throwing out statistics. 1972. National Champions. Tennessee High School. Juuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuussssss sayin sweetheart  :mrgreen:  :mrgreen:  B)

That's crazy. My how times have changed.

Maryville Football was a lot like UT Football is now. No playoff wins in nearly 10 years. I remember taking my nephew to the Championship games in 1996 and telling him Maryville will never win another championship. He still rides me about it 18 years later. I was never so glad to be wrong. Amazing what a great coaching staff can do. I also think those Maryville fans that don't want to come to games are crazy. Winning beats the heck out of losing.

John Olive took over in 1989. He is a great guy and not a bad coach. He had some assistant coaches that the players hated with a passion. Numbers went from 60-70 kids to around 30-40 kids. Players were quitting in droves. When Hammontree took over he fired those coaches. He hired David Ellis that 1st season. He hired Quarles 2 years later. When Quarles showed up is when Maryville really started winning. Quarles taking over and hiring Gaylor was icing on the cake. We Rebel fans are blessed to have these great coaches.