Some thoughts so far

dctiger

Just gonna post some random thoughts on what ive gotten to see so far in camps;

DC may give people some fits this year. They're as small as they've ever been but have some good shooters and a few who can get to the basket. Also have a pretty good freshman coming back from Lancaster Christian in the starting lineup this year.

Elizabethton and Blackman are almost unfairly talented. Expecting big things out of them this year. Are they shoe ins for gold balls? No, but they have to be considered favorites.

What's the deal at Central Magnet? I wasn't expecting to see Claudia Smith playing any summer ball, but where is Obi? I was picking them to win 8-AA before I realized how depleted their lineup is.

Cannon is good, but replacing Sissoms scoring is going to be tough. If DC can handle the ball, they can play with them IMO.

Smith is probably my pick to win the district unless the situation at Central improves. They're average at best without Hackett, but still have the personnel to make it to the glass house this year.

Haven't seen LA but I know that whole second unit is coming back and Winningham. Probably missing someone here but they have the chops to take 8-AA too.

Warren County is MUCH IMPROVED. Getting the post player back from Cookeville was a big help. I really think they got a great coach too, in getting this one from the middle school.

Clarkrange is great, as expected. Jackson County will have a tough time beating them this year.

I would like to see Riverdale, but Oakland looks to have a really tough team as well.

So...that's my take on what few camps games I've gotten to see this year. Anyone else's thoughts?

smith,L.A. and central will be the ones to beat for the 8aa crown. everyone else might win a district game here or there but they ant got enough horses to even get close to those three.And I do agree with you without Hackett smith not even average but problem is this year, can't stop her or even get close to stop'n her"she is that good"   D.C. could end up with the 4th spot if they get past C.C.  York,upperman,and M.c. drag up the rear.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

smith,L.A. and central will be the ones to beat for the 8aa crown. everyone else might win a district game here or there but they ant got enough horses to even get close to those three.And I do agree with you without Hackett smith not even average but problem is this year, can't stop her or even get close to stop'n her"she is that good"   D.C. could end up with the 4th spot if they get past C.C.  York,upperman,and M.c. drag up the rear.

I agree with all that. Would you say 8aa is the toughest district in all of AA women's basketball? If not, what district do you think is? I could be wrong, but doesn't 8aa usually have a couple state worthy teams just about every year? Even outside of our top 4, the bottom teams are normally pretty solid overall. From the start of the season, and all the way up until sectionals, it seems like 8aa's top 2-3 just destroy the top teams from other districts more times than not.

• 2 weeks later...

Central will struggle with Smith out. I don't look for her to return until after Christmas. They struggled a lot at camp. No word on where Obi is except that she is playing summer ball with the AAU team in the boro.

DC will draw some interest when season rolls around. They have a couple girls that can play all 5 positions well and they both play year round with the big AAU teams in the boro. One of them was out hurt last season but back full time.

Warren will turn some heads too. They have a new coaching staff and they have a kid moving in from another county that will help increase the talent on the floor.

Cannon is as strong as ever with the 3 point shooters. They will hold their own but I don't see a repeat of last year.

Smith will be average at best unless their younger players develop quickly but they all play AAU. Two of their top girls are nursing minor injuries so it's hard to tell for sure.

Jury is out on LA and Macon. They tend to hide their talent over the summer. I don't see a lot coming from York or Upperman in the way of taking that district.

• 3 weeks later...

What does everyone think about single A.  I know everyone is predicting Clarkrange to win it but I think it may be closer than people think.  I am a Grace Christian supporter but I will do my best not to show my bias.  Grace will be a much better team this year than last.  They lost one player and their returning players are much better now than they were last year.  They start a 6'1 center, a 5'11 forward (both juniors and being recruited by many schools), and also return a region MVP (Best player averaging 15 a game and also a junior) and a 3 year all district point guard. They beat a very good Meigs County team for the District and Region Championship last year. Grace lost in the sub-state game in overtime due to there best player getting injured in the first quarter. Meigs went on to beat Clarkrange in the first game at State and lost to eventual State champ Union City by I think 12.  Grace also has 4 freshman that were on the Grace middle school team that lost in the TMSAA region final by 2. I know I am a homer but just making my case.  Good luck to all, It should be a fun year.

Don't know much about A ball in your area to be honest. Just off the top of my head Clarkrange and Gibson County come to mind. All of Clarkrange's best players are a year older and more experienced. They're going to be tough to beat. GC played second fiddle to the undefeated UC team last season and are expected to make a lot of noise this year.

Sounds like you have a good chance of making some noise, though. Best of luck!

Edited by dctiger

Don't know much about A ball in your area to be honest. Just off the top of my head Clarkrange and Gibson County come to mind. All of Clarkrange's best players are a year older and more experienced. They're going to be tough to beat. GC played second fiddle to the undefeated UC team last season and are expected to make a lot of noise this year.

Sounds like you have a good chance of making some noise, though. Best of luck!

Thanks Time will tell Grace has to get there first then who knows