Best TN Wrestler to Never Medal at the TSSAA Tournament

WrestlingGod

Lol Sommers the Gobbell you are talking about is a Architect. Believe it or not there are a few Gobbells in the area. Ron Gobbell is who you are thinking of. He owns Gobbell/Hayes Architecture. The Gobbell I'm talking about has done well for himself but he isn't an architect. The Gobbell I'm talking about wrestled for Simpson In Simpson's 2nd to 3rd year as a head coach at Ryan. I can't remember the dates, sorry. Needless to say the Gobbell kid, now grown, placed 2nd 2 years In a row, losing once on a bizzare stalling call! I'm purposely not naming the first name because I'm not sure that he wants it out there, especially in this type of conversation .

By the way Sommers, the gou you are thinking of and the guy I'm talking about are related. If I'm not mistaken there is still a Gobbell involved with Catholic Wrestling. I'm not sure how involved but I believe at the Middle School level. There is a young Gobbell still working is way up! Granted he's only 8! We hope to do as well as the Gobbell's before us!

• Upvote 1

Thought I'd take the other topic one step further. There are a ton of previous medalists who are very deserving of a state championship who were never able to reach it. But there are even more who were never even able to reach the podium who were deserving.

I'll throw out my first name to start. As an Indy guy I nominate Matthew Gabriel.

Medal or no medal, he's hands down the best takedown artist I've ever seen live, ever. His senior year, again just missing a medal, the state runner up was from FRA at 140. Matt teched him the same year.

The craziest stat. His senior year he finished with 315 takedowns. On average that's around 9 a match.

Hey Wrestling God

I know another pretty god kid that beat quite a few state placers and some of them pretty bad but was alwasy 1 or 2 points away.