Week 5: Science Hill at Brentwood Academy

voltnh

Is Mcgue better than Reed Hayes a few years ago? I thought Hayes was awesome himself.

Would love to have Reed at QB still, boy was he fun to watch and he could fling it. However, I really like how were getting the ball in our best players hand every play now. Kinda like DB did with Foreman. In a QB only comparison, Reed was for sure better. But Mcgue is a better all around athlete. Edited by TopperFootball

Is Mcgue better than Reed Hayes a few years ago? I thought Hayes was awesome himself.

I have to go with Hayes. Best HS QB I've seen, including Curt Phillips and Durand Ferguson. Hayes was very elusive but didn't have the caliber of weapons available to MM.

Of course that is taking nothing from MM. He gasses opponents with his scrambling.

The elusiveness is what makes McGue the best. He won't play QB at a major college because of his size, but will probably have the option to play another position. In my opinion (say what you want) but guys like Foreman and McGue at the high school level are the best to play the position locally in decades because of their ability to make things happen. Notice I said high school, because I know we have had some greats go on and play QB in college and or NFL. But in high school, there is not a better weapon.

I was never sold on Foreman as a passer. The DB QB who got hurt (Cook?) had Foreman and Swofford as weapons. When Foreman became QB you lost him as a back/receiver which I think hurt DB. But he was scary running the option and QB sweep. His first TD against SHHS in 2012 was amazing. He seemed that switch direction mid air without losing speed. But you always had to respect Swofford. When Swofford got slowed with injury in that game Janeway and Scott really laid the pads on Foreman.

Edited by DayTripper

I have to hand it to Carter for the way he's using McGue. Almost seems like McGue is picking the play after the ball is snapped. I f he was at DB he would be playing receiver and defensive back. Would probably touch the ball 6-7 times a game. That's how it was with Forman until they were forced to put him at QB. As for as offense, scoring, putting up "gauty" numbers and just taking over a game McGue might be the best I've seen in this area. Can't think of anybody that compares.

I agree. I was looking forward to seeing him after he went down last year and we missed it. He made great decisions with the ball and threw a few passes that shocked me and a lot of people in the stands. Some had to be right on the money to be caught. I thought he would give BA fits because I know we are set up to be better against a pounding run game like st x . Those little quick kids can do so much damage on the high school level. I rewatched the film on my big screen and there was a lot of extra activity going on between SH oline and our d line ... Chop blocks after play pushing . Knees in the back on the ground etc. Bet all the boys are sore today. That was a hard fought game . Everyone looked gassed

We get a break next week before a brutal end of the year traveling. Hope all the middle school teams can win out !!

Bigdog - just read this thread after coming home from the game. great game and fun to watch - you are right BA was fortunate to pull it out. seems both defenses took a vaca but can't take anything away from the SH QB - great player - fun to watch. I'm posting because I was always trying to figure out who you were. After seeing your post here, with the help of my sons (one who played football @ BA, graduated and now a redshirt f-man playing college ball )and one who is in the same grade as one of your sons we figured it out. BA will have some tough games coming up regardless of some of the guys coming back but this team is young and it bodes well for the next 2 yrs. ANd, looks like ralph could possibly win a state c-ship - pretty ironic that he could not do it at BA with teams that had more talent than anyone in the state. BA could be there in the upcoming yrs IF they can find a way to improve on and play consistent strong defense.

Edited by baylorbigdog1976

Agreed !!i think with cook at qb in playoffs we would have been much more dangerous !! I just hope mcgue can stay healthy .. its always scary to watch a kid like mcgue get targeted every fri night !!

I was never sold on Foreman as a passer. The DB QB who got hurt (Cook?) had Foreman and Swofford as weapons. When Foreman became QB you lost him as a back/receiver which I think hurt DB. But he was scary running the option and QB sweep. His first TD against SHHS in 2012 was amazing. He seemed that switch direction mid air without losing speed. But you always had to respect Swofford. When Swofford got slowed with injury in that game Janeway and Scott really laid the pads on Foreman.

Edited by kingindian33

What a fun game to watch and a great athletic facility, first class all the way!

SH certainly played hard enough to win. The jarring hit at the 5 yard line on a 4th down pass with 1:19 to go in the first that jarred the ball out of #7s hands was a big play. If caught SH goes into half up 28-17. Instead BA gets the ball and scores in less than a minute and BA goes into half up 24-21.

We were a few mistakes away from a signature win. I am not much for morale victories, I am more a Vince Lombardi mindset guy but having said that I much prefer playing the BAs and losing then putting 70 points a game up against some east TN teams. This proved to a lot of people that SH is a good football team and it should give them confidence once November playoff time comes around.

I was very proud of the Toppers they came ready to play. Lots to build on from here forward. Go Toppers!

I was just out to breakfast with some BA dads and they could not stop talking about Malik and his game. We also were impressed with how gritty number 7 was and also a few of the receivers. SHs Oline did a great job as well. Science hill was in the game all the way and never looked panicked or out of rhythm

What a fun game to watch and a great athletic facility, first class all the way!

SH certainly played hard enough to win. The jarring hit at the 5 yard line on a 4th down pass with 1:19 to go in the first that jarred the ball out of #7s hands was a big play. If caught SH goes into half up 28-17. Instead BA gets the ball and scores in less than a minute and BA goes into half up 24-21.

We were a few mistakes away from a signature win. I am not much for morale victories, I am more a Vince Lombardi mindset guy but having said that I much prefer playing the BAs and losing then putting 70 points a game up against some east TN teams. This proved to a lot of people that SH is a good football team and it should give them confidence once November playoff time comes around.

I was very proud of the Toppers they came ready to play. Lots to build on from here forward. Go Toppers!

Edited by baylorbigdog1976