Week 6: Science Hill at Tennessee High

BigDave1967

I think Stacy realized he had to go to the air attack, especially once Bedard went out. Malik was apparently playing injured and the coaches did not want him running the ball. So once Bedard went out of the game, with Malik not being able to run, the coaches had no choice but to air it out.

I wish they would have stayed with air attach because Mr. White was KILLING us on the ground in the second half!!! If Stacey would have stayed with the same game plan the second half of this game I would be at Applebee's right now knocking em down in celebration of the win.  :roflolk: The Vikings without a doubt benefited GREATLY from Malik being one diminutional tonight. 

I wish they would have stayed with air attach because Mr. White was KILLING us on the ground in the second half!!! If Stacey would have stayed with the same game plan the second half of this game I would be at Applebee's right now knocking em down in celebration of the win.  :roflolk: The Vikings without a doubt benefited GREATLY from Malik being one diminutional tonight. 

Without Mikey, we lose this game. The kid simply took over for us in the 2nd half. And yeah, McGue not being able to run tonight really hurt us. We depend so much on him scrambling and eluding defenses to get other guys open. When he's not able to do that we're clearly a very different offense. Hopefully his knee heals up quickly. And hopefully the injury to Bedard isn't serious. Luckily our next three opponents are Sullivan Central, Volunteer and Boone. Hope you guys give DB all they want next week at the Stone Castle.

Wow... we were sooooo close!!! IMO we were one play away from the W in this game and that was the botched punt that gave the ball to the Hill on the 2 yard line and ultimately 7 points in the opening minutes of the second half. Hats off to the Viking coaching staff for thinking this one through and giving everyone the map to beating this explosive Topper team. It's easy to see that this Topper squad can score on any given play. Speed does kill!! I think Stacey's scouting report pointed to what most Viking fans were most concerned about and that was our secondary. Because although they were breaking off 4+ yards every carry early in the game he opted to go with the all out air attach which gave us the couple or so defensive stances that the Viking needed to stay in this game. With that being said... THE BOYS IN THE VIKING SECONDARY STEPPED UP TONIGHT!!!!! There was a little bend early but THEY NEVER BROKE!!! Hats off to these guys because I personally have been giving you guys a hard time. I have to say that it is because I knew you were capable of much better or else I wouldn't even have bothered challenging you. #1 even delivered a little wood to Mr White on one of his trips to the endzone which was quite impressive. If I had one critique it would have to be that I'm disappointed that we don't trust our passing game. Because I personally think we have the arm and the hands to execute a more balanced attack. Great effort by the Viking players and coaching staff!!! I walked out of the stadium tonight with my head up thinking "that's what I"M talkin about"!

The 3rd down pass to Mathes was a backbreaker. SHHS goes on to score and makes it a more comfortable 35-23 game. I believe it was 3rd and 23?

I took a while to cool down from what I saw Friday before I posted.  

Frustrated from start to finish.  Very poor coaching decisions from the head man and even worse leadership from the supposed senior leaders.  

Some things need to change for this team to reach its potential and it starts with leadership from the coaches and the captains. Kids need to stop reading the press and doing double jointed back patting and the coaching staff needs to stick to their word and if a kid needs discipline then do it, don't just say it then a minute later forget what you said. Having two sets of rules you lose the respect of the entire team.  If you don't discipline kids they do things like taunt and get 15 yard penalties because their is no consequence to their actions.

The coaches knew that #11 was playing on one leg going into the game. He looked like he did against Volunteer last year which was terrible.  He is good when he can run first and throw second but if you take the run away because physically he is unable to run then he is not a strong enough passer to sit in the pocket and throw and it did not take long for the Viking's coaches to figure out he couldn't run  Saw it last year at Volunteer and saw the same thing Friday night.  Guys were open and he flat out missed them time and time again and then dropped his head and walked off the field.

If the coaches take a different approach and start the other QB that was able to play with two good legs maybe the game goes different and he doesn't end up getting a knee/ankle injury getting rolled up on an inside run.  Live by the sword, die by the sword...but at some point you need to make better decisions on players saying they can play hurt and be the adult and not let the kid play hurt no matter how good he is.

Next three weeks the kids need to get healthy and get a heavy dose of discipline and maturity if they have any chance of being a team that can understand the true definition of "team" and start acting like one, without it the season will get much shorter than it should be... 

Acumen, I agree with everything you said. Playing Malik was definitely not the right decision. He should've sat out and Bedard should've been in at QB. Now we have both Malik and Justin injured. Not a smart decision by the coaching staff last week at all. We're lucky that our next three opponents are the weakest on our schedule. So my question is, who plays QB this week? Will they risk even greater injury to Malik or will we play our 3rd string QB? Who is that anyway? Is it Wooten or Bernadi? Neither one have any Varsity experience.

Edited by Aussie2TN

Acumen, I agree with everything you said. Playing Malik was definitely not the right decision. He should've sat out and Bedard should've been in at QB. Now we have both Malik and Justin injured. Not a smart decision by the coaching staff last week at all. We're lucky that our next three opponents are the weakest on our schedule. So my question is, who plays QB this week? Will they risk even greater injury to Malik or will we play our 3rd string QB? Who is that anyway? Is it Wooten or Bernadi? Neither one have any Varsity experience.

Stacy is a "win at all cost" kinda' guy. Play like there is no tomorrow. I think if Malik had been 100% SH would of put up 60 on TH.

WaCo- they would have put 60 up with #7 at QB instead he put a one leg kid out there and ran #7 for 5 carries for 78 yards in the first two possessions until he blew out his ankle.   If they let the #7 sit back and use his arm they score just fine and they give #11 another week to heal.  It is all about the stats and the kids run the show, "how can I play college if I am on the sidelines not piling up stats"...player first team second is what I am seeing out of some.   Everyone at the game could see the body language and pouting going on during the game.  Coaches need to step in but turn the other way.  

So much talent but 11 kids need to be in sync on both sides of the ball to be special...time will tell if they put team in front of me.

I think #11 will play this week Aussie until the get up 20+ then the Sophomore will play I guess...

WaCo- they would have put 60 up with #7 at QB instead he put a one leg kid out there and ran #7 for 5 carries for 78 yards in the first two possessions until he blew out his ankle.   If they let the #7 sit back and use his arm they score just fine and they give #11 another week to heal.  It is all about the stats and the kids run the show, "how can I play college if I am on the sidelines not piling up stats"...player first team second is what I am seeing out of some.   Everyone at the game could see the body language and pouting going on during the game.  Coaches need to step in but turn the other way.  

So much talent but 11 kids need to be in sync on both sides of the ball to be special...time will tell if they put team in front of me.

I think #11 will play this week Aussie until the get up 20+ then the Sophomore will play I guess...

Dude... what's up with all the excuses??! SH scored on all but three of their possessions. Not to mention THS gift wrapped the opening score of the second half for the Hill by giving them the ball on the 2 yard line. Just face it, regardless of who was at the QB position the opportunity for the Hilltoppers to score was limited by the Viking coaching staff's game plan. Everyone underestimated the Vikings including Stacey and the Hilltopper team... and you almost paid for that mistake. SH has some dangerous big play players (#11 being without a doubt the biggest threat), but you guys are not that good. And trust me.... without #11 you are barely an above average 6A team. And Stacey knows it. If he's not 100% by the DB game you guys are toast. You sound like one of those parents that is so caught up in getting little Johnny noticed that you can't stand to give credit where it's due. 

Edited by Cap1

Dude... what's up with all the excuses??! SH scored on all but three of their possessions. Not to mention THS gift wrapped the opening score of the second half for the Hill by giving them the ball on the 2 yard line. Just face it, regardless of who was at the QB position the opportunity for the Hilltoppers to score was limited by the Viking coaching staff's game plan. Everyone underestimated the Vikings including Stacey and the Hilltopper team... and you almost paid for that mistake. SH has some dangerous big play players (#11 being without a doubt the biggest threat), but you guys are not that good. And trust me.... without #11 you are barely an above average 6A team. And Stacey knows it. If he's not 100% by the DB game you guys are toast. You sound like one of those parents that is so caught up in getting little Johnny noticed that you can't stand to give credit where it's due. 

Cap...have not been called "dude" in a very long time but Ok.   If you read my posts I don't think I discussed excuses nor really discuss the outcome of the game beyond playing kids hurt, what I did discuss was the dysfunction of the current team and the fact that the kids and coaches need to take a leadership role in order for the team to reach it's potential.  They have some extremely talented players and with talent comes responsibility both in work ethic and leadership.  Both are severely lacking currently and I hope the kids wake up before it is too late and then wake up thirty years later talking trash about playing for SH in 2014 and what could have been.

Cap I tend to stay away from hypotheticals and leave it to the bleacher pundits to talk about  what a team would or would not be in a world that doesn't currently exist. I am more concerned about the coaches and the kids making a team with its current roster the best it can be and that is the source of the frustration and it has nothing to do with "my little Johnny" as he has been more than cable of getting himself noticed with no help needed from "his parents".  But thank you  for the analysis of my motives.

You are absolutely correct about the scoring opportunities, the time which seemed to take forever for the officials to set the ball for play and start the play clock and then the 25 seconds did take the air out of the ball and was very smart tactics.  The defenses lack of ability to stop the run allowed for long sustained drives and very few scoring opportunities.  Fortunately SH scored on enough to win but winning is not the only thing that is critical to these players success later in this season and in later in life.  Hopefully this was a wake up call and the kids will learn how they prepared to play a football game  after BA was not in the teams best interest.  If that makes me "one of those parents" so be it.

Cap

I watched the game with a friend of mine who went to TN High, even played there. This was the third SH game he's seen this season. He said the SH team he saw Friday night was nothing close to the SH team he watched beat Mo West or Siegel. Even he said that the Vikings caught the Toppers at the seemingly perfect time. He said that had McGue been healthy and our RB Bedard not gone out early he believed the Toppers would have won by 3-4 touchdowns. So I'm just giving you another Viking fan's opinion.

With that said, I've been very complimentary and said from the beginning you guys came in with a great game plan and executed it almost to perfection. You made a couple of mistakes but overall you all played great. SH, on the other hand, gave their worst performance of the season with an ailing QB and sidelined RB.